RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-19, 01:07 PM
c3uo
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you're dead on with most of your comments. I also come from a 2015 X5. FYI - Driving in sport mode is almost required to make throttle tip in better. Considering buying a pedal commander to improve vehicle in this area.
Old 03-04-19, 08:32 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I had 2015 X5 with the HK sound system and ended up switching out the under seat woofers for BAV sound woofers. It helped, but never had the low end punch that I was looking for, so I added a 10" JL Audio subwoofer. For my ears, the BMW system was too bright. I also hated the fact that there was no steering wheel control to advance to the next track on the X5. I have the RX450hL with Mark Levinson. What's different about my setup vs the normal RX is that the subwoofer is located in the rear floor behind the 3rd row. After a few weeks of listening, I seriously debated whether or not I needed to install my JL subwoofer. The stock sub was that good. It hit frequencies down to 20 Hz without a problem. I ended up installing the JL so I could increase the volume of the low end. Overall, I think its the best sounding system I've ever owned in a vehicle. The sound is balanced, accurate and has a nice sound stage. For reference my home setup is an Outlaw Audio RR-2150 analog stereo receiver with a Musical Fidelity V90 DAC. Speakers are Ascend Acoustics Sierra II and an SVS Subwoofers SB-2000.
The following users liked this post:
Getty (04-09-19)
Old 03-04-19, 04:11 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Rear door opener works fine for me.

ML system - have you adjusted the tone controls, also turn off Surround Sound. I found once I did that the system really kicks, of course you're not going to get a boom, boom, boom sub-woofer in an RX, it's more about quality then quantity. Also make sure you use a good signal source, pointless using radio or Bluetooth - all that does is amplifies the poor quality sound so it sounds worse. I use an old iPhone to store the music on, plugged in via usb and I feel the system sounds great like that.
Danushie (06-17-21)
Old 03-05-19, 07:29 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

As for the enform system, have a look at the aftermarket carplay thread, it's not a perfect solution but it's certainly going to open up carplay and the android interface to you on demand with easy access back to the OEM system when you want it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...017-rx350.html

With the heated steering wheel I have to agree, it sucks. My Audi Q7 was amazingly better with the oddness that it cycled off after a certain time period. Each brand seems to have it's own quirks. I'd love to tinker and figure out if there is a thermostat setting of some kind we could increase on this. It's certainly not exposed in Techstream if so, but analysis of the controlling ECU/circuit might divulge something. *Future projects*... I also want to dissect the telematics ECU and figure out how they enable the local remote start because it's just silly they disable that.
Old 03-06-19, 09:47 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowmite
As for the enform system, have a look at the aftermarket carplay thread, it's not a perfect solution but it's certainly going to open up carplay and the android interface to you on demand with easy access back to the OEM system when you want it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...017-rx350.html

With the heated steering wheel I have to agree, it sucks. My Audi Q7 was amazingly better with the oddness that it cycled off after a certain time period. Each brand seems to have it's own quirks. I'd love to tinker and figure out if there is a thermostat setting of some kind we could increase on this. It's certainly not exposed in Techstream if so, but analysis of the controlling ECU/circuit might divulge something. *Future projects*... I also want to dissect the telematics ECU and figure out how they enable the local remote start because it's just silly they disable that.
Lexus greatly improved the heated steering wheel on the new ES. It has an auto setting in addition to manual 1 (warm) and manual 2 (hot) and it literally gets too hot to the touch on 2.
Old 03-06-19, 05:29 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
Hello fellow RX owners

* Rear Touch Free Door - I think Lexus was trying to be different here and got too cute. At 1st we though this was a great must have/ cool feature but after using it for a couple of weeks now in real world scenarios, this is just as useless and often a hit or miss. Often times it takes forever to register anything and stays closed, sometimes when we don't want to use it then it opens up by accident, then at times when we wave or put our hand/elbow/arm whatever body part it takes forever to register and then it decides to open. By that time it would have being much easier to press our key fob or manually open it. I wish they would have just giving us the kick method option which would have being much better or better sensitive sensor and open times.
The rear touch free door works great on mine (17 Fsport), and I use it most if not all the time. I can't remember where the button in the back door that is used to open it any more because of this feature. Wonder if you have a bad sensor (?)
And I like the floating roof It is my main method to distinguish between the RX and the NX from a distance, and I think the RX looks better because of it (personal taste, I guess).
Old 03-07-19, 09:27 AM
golferjack
Intermediate

Received 145 Likes on 104 Posts

I have a 2018 450hl with the Luxury package and whatever else, and it is super smooth and quiet. The heated steering wheel is odd in that the whole thing is not heated. I think that because I have a hybrid, the seats and wheel heat up very fast compared to a non hybrid. I turn the seats off because they just get too hot. The steering wheel gets warm enough for me, and I turn that off not long after it gets warm.The rear door opener works very well, but I did have to get used to how to work it. The best for me is to hold my forearm just a few inches above the Lexus emblem.There should be a button of some kind to work the wiper heaters vs having to use the climate control screens. I wonder why the **** safety engineers at Lexus allow access to the screens without the car being parked.It is a surprise to see how really awful the Enform system is. The Navigation system is not even as good as my old Garmin. There are many pages here on the lack of a decent way to play music from a USB stick. I thought that I could get around the 255 files in a folder limitation by loading all music in Root and letting Enform index it. Wrong. Root can only have 255 files. My wife has a 2016 Rav H and its Entune system does allow more than 255 files in Root. Both Entune and Enform need to allow Apple and Android interfaces, because Toyota is being left in the dust by most other manufactures in regards to the users infotainment expectations. Both systems reindex even when there have not been any changes made to the USB stick. I have resorted to using an IPOD Classic to play music, because I can then use the cars controls to manage the IPOD vs using a Bluetooth interface to my phone. I was going to buy a new Rav for my wife, but because it does not have Android, we are now waiting to see if the new NX will have Android. I am not buying another Toyota product until they have the Android interface. On all of the Toyota products, the infotainment system is not anywhere up to the quality you expect from Toyota. It seems that their system is more of an afterthought, but without much thought put into it. Perhaps their infotainment system was born out of a strategy to protect the navigation revenue stream from drying up.I do not know if I would get the ML audio again, only because I really don’t have anything to compare it to. Our 2016 Rav has the JBL audio, which is not worth it. Maybe because RX is super quiet or the speakers are so plentiful that I rarely need to have the volume up past 21. I too have the surround turned off.
Old 03-07-19, 11:41 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by golferjack
I have a 2018 450hl with the Luxury package and whatever else, and it is super smooth and quiet. The heated steering wheel is odd in that the whole thing is not heated. I think that because I have a hybrid, the seats and wheel heat up very fast compared to a non hybrid. I turn the seats off because they just get too hot. The steering wheel gets warm enough for me, and I turn that off not long after it gets warm.The rear door opener works very well, but I did have to get used to how to work it. The best for me is to hold my forearm just a few inches above the Lexus emblem.There should be a button of some kind to work the wiper heaters vs having to use the climate control screens. I wonder why the **** safety engineers at Lexus allow access to the screens without the car being parked.It is a surprise to see how really awful the Enform system is. The Navigation system is not even as good as my old Garmin. There are many pages here on the lack of a decent way to play music from a USB stick. I thought that I could get around the 255 files in a folder limitation by loading all music in Root and letting Enform index it. Wrong. Root can only have 255 files. My wife has a 2016 Rav H and its Entune system does allow more than 255 files in Root. Both Entune and Enform need to allow Apple and Android interfaces, because Toyota is being left in the dust by most other manufactures in regards to the users infotainment expectations. Both systems reindex even when there have not been any changes made to the USB stick. I have resorted to using an IPOD Classic to play music, because I can then use the cars controls to manage the IPOD vs using a Bluetooth interface to my phone. I was going to buy a new Rav for my wife, but because it does not have Android, we are now waiting to see if the new NX will have Android. I am not buying another Toyota product until they have the Android interface. On all of the Toyota products, the infotainment system is not anywhere up to the quality you expect from Toyota. It seems that their system is more of an afterthought, but without much thought put into it. Perhaps their infotainment system was born out of a strategy to protect the navigation revenue stream from drying up.I do not know if I would get the ML audio again, only because I really don’t have anything to compare it to. Our 2016 Rav has the JBL audio, which is not worth it. Maybe because RX is super quiet or the speakers are so plentiful that I rarely need to have the volume up past 21. I too have the surround turned off.
Seats the same in the non-hybrid - they get way to hot for comfort.

Old 03-07-19, 02:06 PM
shadowmite
Driver

As I posted in another thread, I took mine in because the seat heaters failed in such a way they overheated. It seems to be a semi-common issue.
Old 03-08-19, 07:31 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by jugdish
I had 2015 X5 with the HK sound system and ended up switching out the under seat woofers for BAV sound woofers. It helped, but never had the low end punch that I was looking for, so I added a 10" JL Audio subwoofer. For my ears, the BMW system was too bright. I also hated the fact that there was no steering wheel control to advance to the next track on the X5. I have the RX450hL with Mark Levinson. What's different about my setup vs the normal RX is that the subwoofer is located in the rear floor behind the 3rd row. After a few weeks of listening, I seriously debated whether or not I needed to install my JL subwoofer. The stock sub was that good. It hit frequencies down to 20 Hz without a problem. I ended up installing the JL so I could increase the volume of the low end. Overall, I think its the best sounding system I've ever owned in a vehicle. The sound is balanced, accurate and has a nice sound stage. For reference my home setup is an Outlaw Audio RR-2150 analog stereo receiver with a Musical Fidelity V90 DAC. Speakers are Ascend Acoustics Sierra II and an SVS Subwoofers SB-2000.
I don’t mean to discredit anything you’ve said here. I’ve never heard of any of the home audio brands you listed. I’m old school & if I can’t see it, touch it & hear it, I’m not interested. I simply hate sending crap back & forth.

I compared the Mark Levinson system to the Premium system, which I have, & found the Premium system to be a much better value. I found the ML system was great, but not $1000+ more great. How did you integrate your JL sub? Did you replace the ML sub or is it an ad-on? Did you have to use another amp? I haven’t been able to find much of anything on replacement speakers for our car.
Getty (04-11-19)
Old 04-08-19, 08:09 AM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Unsure if this was mentioned but when talking to our salesman, was informed that Lexus added carpet lining underneath the front passenger seats so that people sitting behind them can polish the top of their dress shoes instead of scuffing them. Maybe it's BS but thought I shared, haha.
Old 04-08-19, 08:47 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 518 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndName
Unsure if this was mentioned but when talking to our salesman, was informed that Lexus added carpet lining underneath the front passenger seats so that people sitting behind them can polish the top of their dress shoes instead of scuffing them. Maybe it's BS but thought I shared, haha.
Haha. You can't get this humor when buying a car online....
Old 04-08-19, 08:54 AM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Haha. You can't get this humor when buying a car online....
I am here to share the laughs...lol
Old 04-11-19, 06:42 AM
Getty
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndName
Reading this I had to go out and check. While I wouldn't tell someone that's WHY they did it... they DID in fact, do it. On any other car (I've seen) the seat-bottoms aren't finished, meanwhile... yep... go feel it. The bottom of the seats are finished as far as I can reach! The shoe-polishing thing is funny... but it's actually pretty wild, the attention to detail. If you own any other car... check 'em... I bet they aren't.
Old 04-11-19, 07:16 AM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Getty
Reading this I had to go out and check. While I wouldn't tell someone that's WHY they did it... they DID in fact, do it. On any other car (I've seen) the seat-bottoms aren't finished, meanwhile... yep... go feel it. The bottom of the seats are finished as far as I can reach! The shoe-polishing thing is funny... but it's actually pretty wild, the attention to detail. If you own any other car... check 'em... I bet they aren't.
Haha, nice!

Quick Reply: 4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)