RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-17, 12:02 PM
Bigchief70
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try to re-enact this, because I don't think it had anything to do with the traffic around me. There was a car sitting in the left turn lane and a car in front of me that went through the light. That's all. The vehicle didn't brake on it's own, just the beep and the yellow/orange brake light on my dash. I don't get to drive the Lexus as often as I like, but I use the features more often than my wife, and I've never seen that warning before.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not sure there isn't more to it.....! I'll report back if I find anything else.
Old 12-29-17, 10:19 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I had the beep and warning light on the other day when I was driving around 35 mph in my right-turn only lane and my left lane was a standing still. It was a curve so I guess my Lexus thought the cars in next lane were in front of us.
Old 12-29-17, 10:48 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

I had a loaner with these options & I found them annoying. It’s possible the car was malfunctioning, but I really don’t think so. I found the adaptive cruise control downright alarming in the way it reacted. one Interstate Highway I travel, the posted speed is 75 mpg, but has a lot of hills. The big rigs can’t maintain a constant speed there. I found the Lexus equipment couldn’t tell if a slow truck was in the left or right lane & damn near felt like it slammed on the brakes at more than 100 ft away in another lane. I drove a new Honda Ridgeline with adaptive cruise & lane change assist & it was spot on. The Lexus was abrupt in slowing down & had trouble finding the painted lines lines at night. Personally, I wouldn’t buy it on a Lexus unless I was able to test it fully in several situations.
Old 12-29-17, 11:09 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,444 Likes on 1,754 Posts

I use the smart cruise all the time and it performs flawlessly. I set the distance set to middle or short to avoid frequent braking but never ever any issues with the system confusing one lane with another.
Old 12-29-17, 11:19 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I use the smart cruise all the time and it performs flawlessly. I set the distance set to middle or short to avoid frequent braking but never ever any issues with the system confusing one lane with another.
Your described experience matches my experience in the Honda. I didn’t feel like I needed to fine tune anything. I played with the Lexus settings & never got comfortable with it. Judging solely from my last service experience, I suspect their loaner car was faulty, just like their service. My radio was replaced & boots up perfectly & displays the screens properly, but the XM cuts out continueiously! Time for me to explore a new service department. In closing, don’t take my experience as the way all Lexus safety systems behave. Try these features out in the areas where you drive & see if it works for you. Lexus isn’t bad, but they make mistakes just like all car makers do.
Old 12-30-17, 02:35 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigchief70
I'll try to re-enact this, because I don't think it had anything to do with the traffic around me. There was a car sitting in the left turn lane and a car in front of me that went through the light. That's all. The vehicle didn't brake on it's own, just the beep and the yellow/orange brake light on my dash. I don't get to drive the Lexus as often as I like, but I use the features more often than my wife, and I've never seen that warning before.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not sure there isn't more to it.....! I'll report back if I find anything else.
The Pre-Collision system doesn't just look at the vehicle directly in front of you. It can also detect stopped traffic ahead of the vehicle in front as well.

Was there a curve as you got to the traffic light? My guess would be your car was pointed towards the stopped car on the left lane as you were approaching the light, and the PCS thought you were heading right at it (along with the car in front).
Old 01-03-18, 07:13 AM
Hubs
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

If you drive with the headlights/DRL off and day becomes night, the car will remind you to turn on your headlights.
Old 01-03-18, 07:40 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Hubs
If you drive with the headlights/DRL off and day becomes night, the car will remind you to turn on your headlights.
Also when the engine is off the you keep the headlights on, it warns you after 15 min if you still want to let them on, if no answer they will shut off.

Also with the radio if turned on when on accessory on, it will automatically warn you after 15 or 30 minutes, I don't quite recall which, and shut off if no reply.
Old 01-03-18, 08:51 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Hubs
However, if you start with the headlights/DRL off at night, it will never remind you.
Old 01-16-18, 08:34 PM
Suns75
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is likely already well known, but the adjustable rear hatch height is a great feature. I need it so that the hatch doesn’t hit my garage door.

To adjust the height, press the close button on the hatch when it gets to the height you want. Then, press and hold the button until it beeps. To reset the height, you can manually push the door up, and then readjust the height using the same process.
The following users liked this post:
Bigchief70 (01-17-18)
Old 01-16-18, 09:19 PM
Neckbeard
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Storage pocket on left side of dash

After two weeks of ownership and wondering what little things could be put in the little compartment under the "mouse" wrist rest, I discovered the hidden storage pocket on the left side of the dash just below the switches for the HUD, etc. What to put there!
Old 01-17-18, 09:01 AM
Bigchief70
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Suns75
This is likely already well known, but the adjustable rear hatch height is a great feature. I need it so that the hatch doesn’t hit my garage door.

To adjust the height, press the close button on the hatch when it gets to the height you want. Then, press and hold the button until it beeps. To reset the height, you can manually push the door up, and then readjust the height using the same process.
Yeah - just in case you know this option exists but don't think you will ever use it, I am here to tell you to adjust it so you don't do what I did!
My wife had opened the rear hatch while in the garage. I was waiting for my brother to move a suitcase from another car in the driveway and he was struggling, so I decided I'd back out and help a brother out....I knew full well that the back door was open, but it didn't stop me...my wife was standing there watching the whole thing unravel. It did about $3500 worth of damage to the back door. I had less than 3000 miles on Stephanie (2017 RX450h)
My brother was impressed at the string of words I assembled. It was a long drive to the airport that morning, in my '02 Avalanche.
New rear door is being installed this week - should be good to go by Friday. I already changed the door setting, but I will be verifying that it works as soon as I get her back home.
Old 01-17-18, 09:34 AM
AkiD
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigchief70
Yeah - just in case you know this option exists but don't think you will ever use it, I am here to tell you to adjust it so you don't do what I did!
My wife had opened the rear hatch while in the garage. I was waiting for my brother to move a suitcase from another car in the driveway and he was struggling, so I decided I'd back out and help a brother out....I knew full well that the back door was open, but it didn't stop me...my wife was standing there watching the whole thing unravel. It did about $3500 worth of damage to the back door. I had less than 3000 miles on Stephanie (2017 RX450h)
My brother was impressed at the string of words I assembled. It was a long drive to the airport that morning, in my '02 Avalanche.
New rear door is being installed this week - should be good to go by Friday. I already changed the door setting, but I will be verifying that it works as soon as I get her back home.
OMG. I can only imagine the sinking feeling you had when you jumped out and ran around back. I *just* went over 3K on my '17 (blue) 450h. The very idea
of even a SCRATCH on my car makes me sick to the stomach.

Speaking of blue, I *really* like the color in the sunlight. The mica particles really make it glitter. In the dead of winter with salt on the roads...not so much. I've
already have run ot the car wash enough times to make a car payment. To make things worse, I bought my wife a '15 CPO'd ES300h in..you guessed it, blue. *sigh*

-aki
Old 01-17-18, 10:11 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by Neckbeard
After two weeks of ownership and wondering what little things could be put in the little compartment under the "mouse" wrist rest, I discovered the hidden storage pocket on the left side of the dash just below the switches for the HUD, etc. What to put there!
I put a tin of mints in mine. Others put spare change - whatever you want!
Old 01-17-18, 10:17 AM
Bigchief70
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AkiD
OMG. I can only imagine the sinking feeling you had when you jumped out and ran around back. I *just* went over 3K on my '17 (blue) 450h. The very idea
of even a SCRATCH on my car makes me sick to the stomach.

Speaking of blue, I *really* like the color in the sunlight. The mica particles really make it glitter. In the dead of winter with salt on the roads...not so much. I've
already have run ot the car wash enough times to make a car payment. To make things worse, I bought my wife a '15 CPO'd ES300h in..you guessed it, blue. *sigh*

-aki
Mine also is blue. I love the color, looks damn good when it's clean and waxed. With the weather we've had lately, it isn't looking too good right now. I really am anxious to test it in the snow.
Not only did I feel stupid by backing it out of the garage with the door opened - I really was kicking myself for not thinking about adjusting the opening height. Having been a pickup and car driver, I didn't think about needing to adjust the door on this car. That's exactly why I wanted to mention it here. It's well worth the 10 seconds that it takes to do this, people!

Quick Reply: 4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)