RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Are Triple Beam LED headlights Adaptive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-17, 07:17 PM
Bravo1010
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok. But what lights do I have if I did not see 'BI-LED HEADLAMPS WITH ADAPTIVE FRONT LIGHTING SYS' for $415 on my window sticker?

Last edited by Bravo1010; 01-18-17 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-18-17, 08:32 PM
apex47
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bravo1010
Ok. But what lights do I have if I did not see 'BI-LED HEADLAMPS WITH ADAPTIVE FRONT LIGHTING SYS' for $415 on my window sticker?
You have the stock bi-led that aren't adaptive, so no upgrade.

The next upgrade up is the adaptive bi-led for the $415 you mention and includes LED cornering lamps.

Last is the triple beam for the $1,600, also includes the LED cornering lamps.
Old 01-18-17, 08:41 PM
Bravo1010
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok. Could someone please define what adaptive does differently than stock bi-LEDs?
Old 01-18-17, 09:06 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Ok. Could someone please define what adaptive does differently than stock bi-LEDs?
As the wheel turns slightly, the light beams turn slightly. This is useful when driving on a curving road to keep illuminating the road instead of the guard rail that is straight ahead.
Old 01-19-17, 04:37 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

lol. I feel like there are like 5 different threads on headlights...

I wonder if the mod should make a sticky and put them all under one topic so it's easier to find
Old 01-19-17, 12:37 PM
Lexus1998
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As I see new LS introuduced with triple beam, I really think it is matter of time before every Lexus will have them as standard. I know that rating shows them as marginal, but there great better then any I have had prior and the way they look even when there off is well worth the price.
Old 01-19-17, 04:20 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

I suggest you turn the lights on, go in front of the car and look at them. That might be faster than asking others what Option you have on your car. 😂😂☺☺☺
Old 01-22-17, 08:52 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
Instead of looking like individual LEDs across the bottom, the Triple-beams have a continuous line look. Like already mentioned, there is an additional line of LEDs near the swoosh for turn signal.
Speaking of the swoosh, I've always wondered if Lexus had to pay Nike to start using the Swoosh.
Old 11-02-17, 04:18 PM
Emaniat
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

There are three levels of lights on the US cars. The base lights are just standard Bi-LEDs. They look like an HID but use LED for the low and high beams. The next step up which is the $400 option is the adaptive Bi-LED headlights. The low and high beams are LED lighting and they are adaptive - so when you turn the wheel the lights turn. My BMW X3 had the mechanical version and they were actually better than the electronic version on my RX. The X3’s were fluid and hardly noticeable, but the RX is very digitally controlled and not smooth. The triple beams are fixed, but have an led down by the fog lights pointing outwards and light up when your turn signal its activated and your turning in the direction of the turn signal. IIHS now rates headlights and it looked like the adaptive Bi-LED version edged out (beat) the triple beam setup.
Old 11-02-17, 04:23 PM
Emaniat
Driver

I have another question. Do the triple beam version that have the nicer DRLs and nicer front turn signals also come with the rear LED turn signals on the back and sides? I Know that they are just not sequential or dynamic like other countries?
Old 11-02-17, 06:09 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Emaniat
I have another question. Do the triple beam version that have the nicer DRLs and nicer front turn signals also come with the rear LED turn signals on the back and sides? I Know that they are just not sequential or dynamic like other countries?
Yes, triple beam headlights are paired with LED rear turn signals (not sequential in the US).
Old 11-03-17, 02:48 AM
Emaniat
Driver

Ok My initial reply got wiped out before I sent it so I will try to condense it. The triple beam option does have nicer DRLs. They have more and more closely spaced led light that look nicer than the base DRLs. The triple beam lights have 3 led pods. These pods are fixed and there are other led light beams that come on and go off as you turn your wheel. The only one I know about is the one by the driving/fog light. There might be other ones in the actual head light units but since I don't have them then I don't know. The Bi-LED lights have an LED light for the low beams and and LED light for the high beams - hence the term BI-LED (2 lights)... They have a fixed and an adaptive version. I have the adaptive version. When you turn your steering wheel then the lights follow the direction that your wheel turns. They are electronically controlled. Per IIHS they just edge out the triple beam version in their head light tests. They are not as smooth as the BMW version that I had in my old X3. Lincoln also does the 2 headlight versions on their MKX. Their multiple led light units are fixed and have other leds turning on and off as your turn your wheel. I didn't like it that much and it was a $2200 option. Their DRLs were also the same - nicer ones on the more expensive led pod units and std ones on their HID adaptive units. Their adaptive HIDs were actually that. An older HID system with dimmer lights than my RXs adaptive LED lights. Hope this helps.
Old 11-03-17, 09:14 AM
goatee
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Do the Bi-LED's have cornering lights?
Old 11-03-17, 10:33 AM
Emaniat
Driver

No the standard led nor the adaptive bi-led lights have the corner lights just the triple beam lights do.
Old 11-10-18, 09:09 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Those cornering lights are so helpful! That was the main reason I got the triple beam lights. Too bad they only work at low speeds.

Quick Reply: Are Triple Beam LED headlights Adaptive?