RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Are Triple Beam LED headlights Adaptive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-18, 05:52 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Is it possible to enable the corner lights to always be on with fog lights? Anyone know where we can get the wiring diagram?
Old 11-13-18, 01:11 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

I wish we could have access to the software of these cars. Here are my list of things that should be easy to program:
- Speed limit on HUD for longer.
- Turn directions a little earlier on HUD.
- A red speed limit display on HUD if going above X-miles over speed limit.
- Windshield heater programmed to a button
- Cornering lights on when driving 20 MPH or less.
- Enabling sequential turn lights
- Different sound indicators for left or right approach when rear cross-traffic alarm triggers. An LED on the back, rear-view mirror, and side mirrors that turns on when RCTA trigger to indicate side where vehicle was detected.
- Option to Auto fold side mirror if car detects proximity when parking. This is very handy when pulling into tight garages.
- Raise windows and close moonroof while car is parked, if rain is detected in windshield.
Old 11-14-18, 05:02 PM
Emaniat
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Triple Beam Headlights are not adaptive. Each LED is fixed. That is why they added the cornering light down by the fog light so it would illuminate the corner when turning. I have the Adaptive Bi-LED lights. They actually turn as you turn your steering wheel. IIHS rated those better than the premium triple beam headlights. They do not turn if you're (I think) below 10 or 5 mph. Same with the cornering light on the premium triple beam light package. The adaptive lights are computer controlled - They are jerky and not fluid like my old BMW X5. I need to figure out how to stop comparing these two vehicles. The X5 just did everything great. The RX needs some polishing. I've emailed Lexus so many times on wish list stuff. Main reason I went with the Lexus is I got tired of paying the uber high dollars to maintain the darn X5. The Lexus is a Toyota and is pretty bullet proof. If Lexus is trying to steer customers away from BMW and Mercedes they really need to step up their game with their SUV's They Can do it with their cars - they just need to apply that tech to the SUVs now.
Old 11-15-18, 09:47 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Standard Bi-Xenon HID

Sweet looking Triple Beam LEDs
The following users liked this post:
ericsan13 (11-15-18)
Old 11-16-18, 07:36 AM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

This is an interesting articled about adaptive headlights...
https://driving.ca/audi/auto-news/ne...s-nobodys-sure
Old 01-22-19, 09:02 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

This is the future of adaptive matrix
Old 01-22-19, 09:11 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
This is the future of adaptive matrix Headlights
thats pretty darn cool.
Old 01-23-19, 08:08 AM
Emaniat
Driver

Very cool tech. Update to my adaptive RX headlights. They are independent adaptive headlights. The left moves independently from the right, which is even better than my old BMW X series adaptive headlights.
Graham6215 (01-26-19)
Old 01-23-19, 08:43 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Emaniat
The triple beam lights have 3 led pods. These pods are fixed and there are other led light beams that come on and go off as you turn your wheel.
Actually, this is not entirely correct as the LED headlights clusters, when first turned on, move up and down to sync the self-leveling feature.
Old 01-23-19, 10:03 AM
Emaniat
Driver

Understand and know that. What I was mentioning was what they do when taking turns while driving. On the down side if you are going less than a certain a speed they do not activate their adaptiveness while the bmw was mechanical and worked even while parked.
Graham6215 (01-26-19)
Old 01-23-19, 04:32 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Understand and know that. What I was mentioning was what they do when taking turns while driving. On the down side if you are going less than a certain a speed they do not activate their adaptiveness while the bmw was mechanical and worked even while parked.
Mechanical full range adaptive headlights in the BMW lineup also led to higher maintenance costs (at least in the E-platforms and the first gen F-series platforms)
Old 01-23-19, 04:45 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Triple Beam Headlights are not adaptive.
That would appear to be correct in the North America - ours in Oz are adaptive, meaning each LED can turn off/on independently.

"ADAPTIVE HIGH BEAM SYSTEM

Building on the Automatic High Beam system in the Luxury grade, the F Sport and Sports Luxury grades offer the more advanced Adaptive High-beam System.

This system can intelligently deactivate individual LED headlight sections to block high beam light in the direction of an oncoming vehicle, while retaining the rest of the high beam light to maintain vision down the roads and to the sides."

Graham6215 (01-26-19)
Old 01-23-19, 09:31 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
That would appear to be correct in the North America - ours in Oz are adaptive, meaning each LED can turn off/on independently.

I read that on several reviews of the RX. So, I was expecting more adaptation and individual control, but disappointed that my RX in the US with triple beam does not adapt
Old 01-23-19, 09:38 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GSFRX350

I read that on several non-US reviews and even from Lexus. So, I was expecting more adaptation and individual control of LEDs, but disappointed that my RX in the US with triple beam does not adapt. Annoying that they have develop this, but not got it certified to put it in US cars.
Old 01-23-19, 11:34 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by lexnewbi

I read that on several non-US reviews and even from Lexus. So, I was expecting more adaptation and individual control of LEDs, but disappointed that my RX in the US with triple beam does not adapt. Annoying that they have develop this, but not got it certified to put it in US cars.
It sounds like a lot of you are beginning to mix up adaptive low-beams and adaptive high-beams. What I quoted and am responding to is an advanced adaptive high-beam system. We don't have this in the US because it is not yet legal here. Lexus and every other automaker is in the same boat with this. No US cars have this functionality.

As far as adaptive low-beams go, that swivel as you turn the steering wheel, are completely unrelated to the above feature & Lexus is strangely behind on this and have been for years. They only offered this on select trim packages (for example, you could get them on a 2015 Luxury-packaged GS but not any other trim. So if you wanted the F-Sport model, which couldn't be combined with the Luxury package, you couldn't get the swiveling headlights. Now it seems like they're not offering this at all as they advance to the triple-beams on all the new models.

Doesn't the RX offer cornering lights, however? These should be little lights that point to the sides and illuminate at low-speeds and usually function with the steering or turn signals. IMO, this almost makes the need for cornering headlights unnecessary (if it is in fact offered) as Lexus is typically quite good at producing headlights with a very wide beam pattern/output.
Graham6215 (01-26-19)

Quick Reply: Are Triple Beam LED headlights Adaptive?