RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

How to open the car or hood when battery is dead

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-19, 06:12 AM
Bob56
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Batttery

Hadn't used he car for 6 weeks and the battery is totally dead. Can't open the doors with the key fob to open the hood. Is there any way to open the door?

Popular Reply

01-11-22, 02:51 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 400 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by FlopTop04
Mine is a 2018 RX350, same GEN 4 as yours. You are correct with the fact that you can use the key and turn it twice to unlock all the doors IF the battery is good. I mentioned that I could actually hear the door lock solenoids fire when I used the key with the battery connected. With the battery disconnected that didn't happen. With the battery disconnected, turning the key in the door lock cylinder only raised the door lock button and unlocked the drivers door. I'll post a link to the video. I uploaded it to YouTube.
The 'Like' button is insufficient. Trying things on our own vehicles to answer forum questions is a good way to give back to the community. Disconnecting the battery and trying what you did in the stinking cold weather is above and beyond - and deserving of the Distinguished Service Medal. Well done, and thank you.
Old 06-06-19, 06:54 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

The metal key is in the fob, use it on the driver door
Old 06-08-19, 04:31 AM
Bob56
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the reply. that woked
Old 08-27-21, 07:19 PM
n0v8or
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Now that I realize I cannot depend on the "mechanical key" to open the vehicle in case someone accidentally leaves the headlights on, or the main battery dies for some other reason with the doors locked, I decided to install a hidden backup hood release. Lexus conveniently provided a second set of cable mount fittings on the latch, I assume to accommodate right-hand-drive models. I already had a spare bicycle brake cable that had been gathering dust for probably 25 years, so this was a no-cost project that only required 30 minutes of time. The operating end is hidden from view by the casual observer, and works perfectly.

Details in attached images.
Image 1: Hood latch. Extra fittings for a right side release cable are circled (assumed to be a provision for right-hand-drive models).
Image 2: Bicycle brake cable installed. Yellow material is a liberal application of lithium grease.
Image 3: Cable routing along the front apron.
Image 4: Cable routing along the right fender. From there, it passes under the washer fluid filler and then down toward the right fog light. A piece of plastic wiring harness loom was added to protect the cable.
Image 5: Remove these 4 10mm screws to lower the front right valence section. Reach in and position the cable in the desired location.
Image 6: I chose to have the cable exit at the edge of the lower engine cover. It tucks up on top of the cover and is not visible.
Image 7: A short piece of shrink tubing, heated only at the tip, serves as a protective weather sheath. The exposed end of the cable is liberally greased as well, with waterproof grease. The sheath slides off easily in order to operate the emergency hood release.

The following 5 users liked this post by n0v8or:
andye39s (08-29-21), bamalam (08-27-21), chuckNX (08-27-21), dibl (08-28-21), raylor4 (08-29-21)
Old 08-27-21, 07:34 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Pure genius!
Old 08-28-21, 07:56 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 355 Posts

Why can't you use the mechanical key to open the door?
The following 4 users liked this post by ravenuer:
Badhobz (06-01-22), Cocal (08-28-21), jollick (08-28-21), PhxBill (08-28-21)
Old 08-29-21, 07:18 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by n0v8or
Now that I realize I cannot depend on the "mechanical key" to open the vehicle in case someone accidentally leaves the headlights on, or the main battery dies for some other reason with the doors locked, I decided to install a hidden backup hood release. Lexus conveniently provided a second set of cable mount fittings on the latch, I assume to accommodate right-hand-drive models. I already had a spare bicycle brake cable that had been gathering dust for probably 25 years, so this was a no-cost project that only required 30 minutes of time. The operating end is hidden from view by the casual observer, and works perfectly.

Image 1: Hood latch. Extra fittings for a right side release cable are circled (assumed to be a provision for right-hand-drive models).
Image 2: Bicycle brake cable installed. Yellow material is a liberal application of lithium grease.
Image 4: Cable routing along the right fender. From there, it passes under the washer fluid filler and then down toward the right fog light. A piece of plastic wiring harness loom was added to protect the cable.
Image 5: Remove these 4 10mm screws to lower the front right valence section. Reach in and position the cable in the desired location.
Image 6: I chose to have the cable exit at the edge of the lower engine cover. It tucks up on top of the cover and is not visible.
Image 7: A short piece of shrink tubing, heated only at the tip, serves as a protective weather sheath. The exposed end of the cable is liberally greased as well, with waterproof grease. The sheath slides off easily in order to operate the emergency hood release.
Use

Even with a dead battery you can use the mechanical key that is inside your key fob to open the driver side door.

Old 08-29-21, 07:21 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by n0v8or

Use

Even with a dead battery you can use the mechanical key that is inside your key fob to open the driver side door.

Old 01-10-22, 01:24 PM
rc16
10th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to open the car or hood when battery is dead

I have a 2017 RX350 and I am unable to open the car or hood. The car battery is dead, and the mechanical key will not work (I have a suspicion that the mechanical key is not a truly "mechanical" key but need the car battery to open the door with an electrical coil).
Old 01-10-22, 04:33 PM
jcg0324
Advanced

Received 252 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by rc16
I have a 2017 RX350 and I am unable to open the car or hood. The car battery is dead, and the mechanical key will not work (I have a suspicion that the mechanical key is not a truly "mechanical" key but need the car battery to open the door with an electrical coil).
The manual says to use the mechanical key if "the battery is depleted". The procedure consists of 3 steps and is shown on page 662 of your owners manual.

Old 01-10-22, 04:45 PM
SFFD785
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Driver door has a lock cylinder. Pull the physical key out from the fob and pull the driver door handle and look in the gap between the door handle and door panel. I believe the cylinder is pointing down.
Old 01-10-22, 05:20 PM
rc16
10th Gear

Default How to open the car or hood

The manual on page 662 says that the mechanical key can be used to open the door when "the electronic key cannot be used because the battery is depleted", they mean the electronic key battery. In my case, the electronic key battery is fine, but the car battery is not.
I am pretty sure this is what is meant because it says on the same page that "turning the key again unlocks the other doors". The only way this could be done is that the car battery is used to activate the solenoids of the other doors (not mechanically).
The following users liked this post:
raylor4 (01-10-22)
Old 01-10-22, 06:39 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,353 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by rc16
The manual on page 662 says that the mechanical key can be used to open the door when "the electronic key cannot be used because the battery is depleted", they mean the electronic key battery. In my case, the electronic key battery is fine, but the car battery is not.
I am pretty sure this is what is meant because it says on the same page that "turning the key again unlocks the other doors". The only way this could be done is that the car battery is used to activate the solenoids of the other doors (not mechanically).
Did you try the mechanical key procedure? I'm curious myself now. We have a 17 and I just replaced the battery knowing it was almost five years old.
Old 01-10-22, 06:56 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

rc16 - Here is a very informative article. It says it works to get the door open even if the car battery is dead. Pictures with captions.
https://www.youcanic.com/manually-un...s-battery-dead
Old 01-10-22, 07:22 PM
rc16
10th Gear

Default How to open the car or hood

Yes, I have tried the mechanical key. It turns but does not open the door which is solenoid operated and needs the car battery to activate it even with the mechanical key, I understand that earlier RX350's could be opened mechanically with the mechanical key even with a dead car battery but this is no longer the case for the 4th generation RX350.
The mechanical key would therefore work for the 4th generation in the case of the electronic key battery depleted but with a good car battery.
The following users liked this post:
raylor4 (01-10-22)

Quick Reply: How to open the car or hood when battery is dead