RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Rx450h Fsport- panoramic roof sunshade jam

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-20, 01:24 PM
joejoejoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2016 Rx450h Fsport- panoramic roof sunshade jam

Recently i left my roof sunshade open to enjoy more sun while the sunroof was shut to prevent dust from getting in.

Past weekend the weather got a little hot, and I closed the sunshade and heard some grinding sound and the passenger side didn’t shut all the way, leaving a small gap like 1/8 inch, barely enough for the sunlight to come through.

So, I tried to open the sunshade with switch. Then I heard even louder grinding noise when it retracted 3/4 of its way. That’s when I stopped it with switch and looked over my shoulder and noticed the passenger side opened all the way, but driver side got stuck 3/4 way. Then when I switched to close to realign, the driver side glider(?) popped and the sunshade holder got derailed.

My RX warranty expired a while ago... and I didn’t find any post related to the roof sunshade malfunction. Wonder if this is something that will cost the whole panoramic roof replacement by Lexus dealer?

anyone with roof sunshade issue?

​​​​​​​
Old 10-14-20, 02:32 PM
Academic
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This exact same thing happened to me on my 2017 FSport 3 earlier this year. Started when trying to close the sunshade alone, grinding sound and the passenger side trailing the drivers side, resulting in the derailment of the sunshade.

I'm sorry to say this but the entire panoramic roof was replaced in my case but fortunately under warranty. The whole assembly had to be ordered. Mine was the first the dealer ever encountered but a month or so later, they countered another case but on a 2020 model. They said sometimes they can pop the sunshade back in (relatively common) but based on your description with the grinding, your issue may be the same as mine unfortunately. I suggested Lexus should take my parts back to investigate the potential root cause and it seems like they did at the time since mine was the first and they seem to be keen to investigate the warranty repair. Hopefully they know more about this by now.

You should contact your dealer to see if they have seen other RX's with the same issue and they may be able to contact Lexus and help you out hopefully.
Old 10-14-20, 03:13 PM
joejoejoe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Academic
This exact same thing happened to me on my 2017 FSport 3 earlier this year. Started when trying to close the sunshade alone, grinding sound and the passenger side trailing the drivers side, resulting in the derailment of the sunshade.

I'm sorry to say this but the entire panoramic roof was replaced in my case but fortunately under warranty. The whole assembly had to be ordered. Mine was the first the dealer ever encountered but a month or so later, they countered another case but on a 2020 model. They said sometimes they can pop the sunshade back in (relatively common) but based on your description with the grinding, your issue may be the same as mine unfortunately. I suggested Lexus should take my parts back to investigate the potential root cause and it seems like they did at the time since mine was the first and they seem to be keen to investigate the warranty repair. Hopefully they know more about this by now.

You should contact your dealer to see if they have seen other RX's with the same issue and they may be able to contact Lexus and help you out hopefully.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

It sounds like several thousands dollar repair if the whole panoramic roof needs to be replaced. I saw from other post that the panoramic roof costs $4.5k?

This is my first vehicle with panoramic roof. Not a pleasant experience and may think twice before choosing the panoramic option next time. I should take it to a dealer and find out the price tag. I will come back and report if the price tag doesn’t give me a heart-attack.
Old 10-14-20, 04:02 PM
SFFD785
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by joejoejoe
Thank you for sharing your experience.

It sounds like several thousands dollar repair if the whole panoramic roof needs to be replaced. I saw from other post that the panoramic roof costs $4.5k?

This is my first vehicle with panoramic roof. Not a pleasant experience and may think twice before choosing the panoramic option next time. I should take it to a dealer and find out the price tag. I will come back and report if the price tag doesn’t give me a heart-attack.
This sucks - One of the reasons I don't care for these types of the roofs - long term costs are a coinflip.

You may get some goodwill from the dealer regarding this issue. I recommend letting them diagnose this issue and see what they find. If you need a new roof, you can ask for financial support(Substantial cost reduction) and reach out to Lexus corporate.
The following users liked this post:
coolbrazz (10-19-20)
Old 10-19-20, 07:54 AM
joejoejoe
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus sun shade repair cost

I just received the repair estimate from Lexus.

The sunshade assembly (not the panoramic assembly, thank God) should be replaced. The price tag is $3581.33.

I think I am selling my Lexus very soon.
Old 10-19-20, 09:17 AM
SFFD785
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by joejoejoe
I just received the repair estimate from Lexus.

The sunshade assembly (not the panoramic assembly, thank God) should be replaced. The price tag is $3581.33.

I think I am selling my Lexus very soon.
That sucks man, sorry to hear. Did they tell you what was broken?
Old 10-19-20, 09:18 AM
coolbrazz
Intermediate

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts

Is it possible to permanently close it being non-functional without repair?
daddiojigg (10-23-23)
Old 10-19-20, 09:47 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,353 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Truly absurd but this is the price we all pay for the never ending gizmos on cars these days. Geez - you may have been better off with a failed transmission.
Old 10-19-20, 10:55 AM
coolbrazz
Intermediate

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts

Luxury & technology has become just as expensive as mechanical failures.
I believe most new cars are built pretty well mechanically these days and will last if taken care of well over 100k miles.
Sadly the technology will break or becomes outdated to be useless or crippled if you’re lucky.
Old 10-22-20, 11:56 AM
vc123
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2016 RX, same thing happened to me last week.

here's the quote (CAD) i got from the dealership.

shade rail $4870.00 + TAX
shades $1998.00 + TAX
labor to replace the two parts is $1176.00 + TAX

Total cost to repair the "shade" is over $9,000 CAD. this is insane.

they told me I AM THE ONLY one in North American with this issue. they checked the N/A data base, no one had ever reported this issue. i guess thats complete BS.

since my warranty expired 6 months ago, Lexus Canada was willing to get this repaired with "good will" discounts. Total cost ~$3000 CAD. totally unacceptable i have rejected this offer. a part like this should not have failed so soon. not a lexus.

Shaker66 (10-31-23)
Old 10-22-20, 11:58 AM
vc123
Driver School Candidate

BTW i am in Canada where we rarely get to use the actual sunroof. the shade only gets opened when my kids are in the car.
Old 10-22-20, 06:07 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 271 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by vc123

shades $1998.00 + TAX

they told me I AM THE ONLY one in North American with this issue. they checked the N/A data base, no one had ever reported this issue. i guess thats complete BS.

since my warranty expired 6 months ago, Lexus Canada was willing to get this repaired with "good will" discounts. Total cost ~$3000 CAD. totally unacceptable i have rejected this offer. a part like this should not have failed so soon. not a lexus.

Even in CAD, sure looks expensive to fix.
Old 10-25-20, 09:21 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

shades $1998.00 + TAX

Did they tell you this with a straight face? If so, then you have every right to go back to them to tell them that whatever system they're using to look up this data is BS because this happened to me a little over a year ago. Went to the mall and closed the sunroof as we were driving with it in the open position, not the vent position. After we finished and went to go home, tried opening the sunroof and the shade started retracting and then it snapped and one side kept trying to open and the other side got suck so it definitely was not good.

Unfortunately, looking at the way Lexus packages their options, you're basically required to get the pano roof if you get the luxury option package or whatever it's called. Personally, I'm not into the pano roof especially since it takes away the ability to use the roof rails. What makes it even worse is Lexus doesn't really like you to order/build your car to your liking. I've just learned to use it less which is a crappy way to live with the RX but every time I go to use it, I'm always thinking is this going to be the second time?
Old 10-25-20, 03:12 PM
vc123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bam
Did they tell you this with a straight face? If so, then you have every right to go back to them to tell them that whatever system they're using to look up this data is BS because this happened to me a little over a year ago. Went to the mall and closed the sunroof as we were driving with it in the open position, not the vent position. After we finished and went to go home, tried opening the sunroof and the shade started retracting and then it snapped and one side kept trying to open and the other side got suck so it definitely was not good.

Unfortunately, looking at the way Lexus packages their options, you're basically required to get the pano roof if you get the luxury option package or whatever it's called. Personally, I'm not into the pano roof especially since it takes away the ability to use the roof rails. What makes it even worse is Lexus doesn't really like you to order/build your car to your liking. I've just learned to use it less which is a crappy way to live with the RX but every time I go to use it, I'm always thinking is this going to be the second time?
​​​​​​
Its a joke
They believe their offer of 3000 cad is extremely generous. 3k for shades? Clearly they have a design flaw. Cant wait till they have more and more of these issues. I would love to c how other customers respond to this near 10k cad repair

I got my car back this week. Tesla style. Full time sunroof. Maybe i should go to tesla and buy their oem shade. Its only 90 USD 😭 what a bargain

Lexus is known for reliable. Failed. Known for inexpensive repairs and parts. Failed

Shaker66 (10-31-23)
Old 10-25-20, 03:17 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,353 Likes on 1,694 Posts

​​​​​​
Its a joke
They believe their offer of 3000 cad is extremely generous. 3k for shades? Clearly they have a design flaw. Cant wait till they have more and more of these issues. I would love to c how other customers respond to this near 10k cad repair

I got my car back this week. Tesla style. Full time sunroof. Maybe i should go to tesla and buy their oem shade. Its only 90 USD 😭 what a bargain

Lexus is known for reliable. Failed. Known for inexpensive repairs and parts. Failed

NO repairs are inexpensive these days. This I agree is a bit over the top.

Quick Reply: 2016 Rx450h Fsport- panoramic roof sunshade jam