RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Leaky cup holder causes connectors to short?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-19, 11:36 AM
barrysl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Previous Experience With A Mazda
several years ago we were ready to go out for the day in our Mazda Millenia and all of the lights on the dashboard went on and the car sputtered and stumbled and we went straight to the dealer who told us the repair would be many many dollars. After careful thought about this I called the district manager and said to him if Mazda had designed the cup holder properly it wouldn't have been right over an area that was so important. And the fact that moisture in this area cost of electrical problems in the Mazda I didn't think that it was my responsibility to pay for their mistake. He agreed and I paid nothing. So I would try to call the district manager and use that tactic and hopefully he'll see the light
Old 03-05-21, 01:34 PM
JRS2020
Driver School Candidate

Angry 2020 RX350 Transmission Control Module

I'd like some input on an issue I'm having with my RX350. My disposable coffee cup came apart while I was driving, and I spilled coffee all over me and some in the cup holder. It leaked down into the transmission controller. Lexus is refusing to pay for the transmission controller replacement. My thought is this is a design issue since I should be able to have liquid spill in a cup holder without doing $3K damage to a transmission controller. One of the technicians told me the controller was directly under the cup holders, so wouldn't it make sense that that leaked? I've escalated to corporate and they maintain it won't be covered. Is my logic flawed?

Last edited by JRS2020; 03-05-21 at 02:03 PM. Reason: left out detail
Old 03-05-21, 01:42 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

There's no way they are going to cover that.
Old 03-05-21, 02:01 PM
JRS2020
Driver School Candidate

I was afraid of that. I felt like it was a pretty good argument. Why put cup holders in a car if they can't ever have liquid in them? I see that it's not their fault that my coffee cup came unglued (the bottom of the disposable foam cup came apart at the seam) but I do feel like the transmission controller should be better protected if it's going to sit directly under a cup holder.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (03-05-21)
Old 03-05-21, 02:28 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I'm curious as to where there is an opening in the cup holder that allowed it to come through. Did any spill anywhere else? I agree that it's odd, but I have a hard time seeing Lexus agreeing to pay for it. Never hurts to ask, though.

As a side note, I design switches and control panels for commercial airplane flight decks. I seal everything up that is anywhere near the cupholders, for exactly this reason.
The following users liked this post:
bamalam (03-06-21)
Old 03-05-21, 04:07 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm curious as to where there is an opening in the cup holder that allowed it to come through..
This would be good to know so owners can apply some silicon sealant and not worry about it.
Old 03-05-21, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by JRS2020
I'd like some input on an issue I'm having with my RX350. My disposable coffee cup came apart while I was driving, and I spilled coffee all over me and some in the cup holder. It leaked down into the transmission controller. Lexus is refusing to pay for the transmission controller replacement. My thought is this is a design issue since I should be able to have liquid spill in a cup holder without doing $3K damage to a transmission controller. One of the technicians told me the controller was directly under the cup holders, so wouldn't it make sense that that leaked? I've escalated to corporate and they maintain it won't be covered. Is my logic flawed?
Welcome to CL as a new poster.

I sympathize with you, but Lexus is probably within their rights in turning down the coverage. I agree, though, that liquids probably should not have gotten past that leather-boot-covering on the shifter....it is there at least partially for that purpose.

Who sold you the coffee cup? There's a small outside chance (small, but not insignificant) that you might have a claim either against the company that made the cups or the shop you bought it at.....but I wouldn't hold my breath. An attorney could give you a clearer picture on that, if applicable.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-05-21 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-05-21, 06:13 PM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

The liquid most likely penetrated from the front cup holder as it's adjustable and has a small air gap around the outer edge..
Old 03-06-21, 04:59 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 681 Likes on 399 Posts

My disposable coffee cup came apart while I was driving ...
The failed item was not a Lexus product -- your Lexus warranty does not cover the products of others.
The following 2 users liked this post by dibl:
Cocal (03-06-21), coolbrazz (03-08-21)
Old 03-06-21, 05:13 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Are you serious?
Old 03-06-21, 06:35 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 400 Likes on 209 Posts

I agree with others that its an uphill roll to get Lexus to cover the damage. Have you talked to your auto insurer? It's possible it could be covered by your comprehensive rider. It's worth a call.
Old 03-07-21, 01:35 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,704 Posts

WOW, just another example of how every manufacturer attempts to deny warranty coverage if there's any shred of evidence that the owner is at fault. "Did you ever make a right turn on red", There you have it, warranty voided. And another reason I never buy extended warranties because the same exact thing happens when you try to make a claim.
Old 03-07-21, 06:08 PM
Dhaka
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
WOW, just another example of how every manufacturer attempts to deny warranty coverage if there's any shred of evidence that the owner is at fault. "Did you ever make a right turn on red", There you have it, warranty voided. And another reason I never buy extended warranties because the same exact thing happens when you try to make a claim.
Very true!
Old 03-08-21, 02:44 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts

I read this thread when it started back in April 2018, and the quote was $8k to repair her 450h. It was never clear if the op paid out of pocket or not.
Clearly some RX cupholders aren't sealed very well. Most likely an production assembly issue either way hard to prove. Let us know if you can get your auto comprehensive insurance to pay for it.
You would figure it would be common sense to waterproof electrical components near cupholders in a $60k vehicle .

Old 03-08-21, 03:35 PM
golferjack
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

As posted earlier, does anyone know how to remove the cu[holders so the area can be coveraed properly?

Quick Reply: Leaky cup holder causes connectors to short?