RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Do you trust the adaptive cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-19, 08:45 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Ha, Ha! I found the system so flawed & intrusive that I will never own it! It scared the living ***** out of me more than once & I can’t have that. It’s great for stop & go traffic, but certainly NOT open highway with gentle curves. Lexus has tons of work to do on this awful system.

Has anyone noticed their rear cross traffic alert doesn’t pick up pedestrians & often times vehicles, until they are right behind your bumper? One dealer told me the system is working fine, but it almost never works at the grocery store parking lots. I thought that’s what that stupid system was for!!
Mine works pretty much as designed. It is not perfect, but it's minor faults don't over ride its benefits. There was a small learning curve with the cruise, but once I learned to change lanes as I approached slower traffic it was fine. The acceleration back up to speed after slowing for a car in front was slower than what I would normally do, but it is OK and probably saves a bit of gas.

The rear cross traffic alert on mine is a little too sensitive - it sees cars a lane away. It has, however, saved me from backing into a car that was backing out of a parking space behind me.
Old 10-22-19, 08:46 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
You are talking about the adaptive cruise control aren't you? Set the speed and the car will keep the set speed/distance from the vehicle in front?

If so I find mine fantastic, works faultlessly, I spend a lot of time on freeway type roads and the system has never failed to slow correctly and accelerate back to the set speed seamlessly. I will say going over a sharp rise will have the car go over-speed for a few seconds but quickly brings it back down.

Why is it "intrusive", it's meant to take control so obviously it intrudes on your driving?

"Gentle curves" - the issue there? Obviously it works to a set speed so will try to keep that speed around the curve.
I don’t think your understanding what I’m trying to say. The radar cruise fails when you approach a slow moving 18 wheeler in another lane when it appears that your are going to cross its path. The system is dumb & cant tell the vehicle is in another lane on a curve. It’s a huge risk & waste of money in my opinion. I’m sure it works good on flat land & bumper to bumper traffic. Intrusive to me means it begins interfering with my normally safe driving & puts the vehicle into an unnatural deceleration that could cause the car to skid or become a hazard to other cars around me.
Old 10-22-19, 10:05 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

I don’t think your understanding what I’m trying to say. The radar cruise fails when you approach a slow moving 18 wheeler in another lane when it appears that your are going to cross its path. The system is dumb & cant tell the vehicle is in another lane on a curve. It’s a huge risk & waste of money in my opinion. I’m sure it works good on flat land & bumper to bumper traffic. Intrusive to me means it begins interfering with my normally safe driving & puts the vehicle into an unnatural deceleration that could cause the car to skid or become a hazard to other cars around me.
Okay, so there's more to the story - yes I've had that happen a couple of times. The slightest touch on the throttle overrides it and you keep motoring, I never found it a worry.
Old 10-23-19, 03:19 AM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

The system is dumb & cant tell the vehicle is in another lane on a curve. It’s a huge risk & waste of money in my opinion.
I agree however none of the systems I've used are very sophisticated in their ability to discern different lanes (my wife's Pilot goes bonkers screaming "Brake!!" on garbage day thinking every garbage can on the opposite side of the street is a car) and if they didn't include the technology there'd be 10 posts on here complaining about Lexus not offering the technology when everyone else does.

Damned if you do (the tech is not very good) and damned if you don't (everyone else offers it).
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (10-23-19)
Old 10-23-19, 08:28 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

I fully understand what you are saying but mine works flawlessly in the situation you described! I have never had my cruise control sense a car or large vehicle in the other lane on any type of road from interstate to local highways.
The following 3 users liked this post by gregjhonda:
JSracer (10-24-19), Kansas (10-24-19), mikemu30 (10-23-19)
Old 10-23-19, 09:04 AM
bsekf
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a question about "stop and go". When you apply the brake, the RCC is turned off? Therefore the stop and go does not work.....RCC is off. How do you keep it working? When the freeway turns into a parking lot, do you let the RCC bring you to a stop? And then the stop and go will work? Or am I missing something? When I see brake lights, my normal instinct is to get on the brake and that turns the RCC off.

If the RCC sees something that is not in your lane, the fastest way to override it is to tap the brake??? But if it is braking, will tapping the brake turn if off? Then you would have to go to the stalk??

Bill
Old 10-23-19, 09:47 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 475 Likes on 361 Posts

Driving too close to the vehicle ahead is a massive problem, here in Australia it's the most common crash that happens, nose to tail and most likely is common in the US. The system at "3 bars" is driving at the appropriate distance to stop the car if need be, a safe driving distance for most situations. I know you'd like to closer so that's when you can adjust it, but put it on "1 bar" and it's quite concerning how close the vehicles are and I start to think "will it stop in time" for my liking.
I hear you, but I live in a heavily populated suburban area with fairly heavy traffic most times, so most drivers follow closer than they probably should. But that's just normal here.
Which is why I never use the radar CC. Only the "regular" CC that I can control.
Old 10-23-19, 09:49 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Originally Posted by bsekf
I have a question about "stop and go". When you apply the brake, the RCC is turned off? Therefore the stop and go does not work.....RCC is off. How do you keep it working? When the freeway turns into a parking lot, do you let the RCC bring you to a stop? And then the stop and go will work? Or am I missing something? When I see brake lights, my normal instinct is to get on the brake and that turns the RCC off.

If the RCC sees something that is not in your lane, the fastest way to override it is to tap the brake??? But if it is braking, will tapping the brake turn if off? Then you would have to go to the stalk??

Bill
Tapping the brake does the same as it would with conventional cruise - disengages it. You need not touch the stalk.
Old 10-23-19, 07:58 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Driving too close to the vehicle ahead is a massive problem, here in Australia it's the most common crash that happens, nose to tail and most likely is common in the US. The system at "3 bars" is driving at the appropriate distance to stop the car if need be, a safe driving distance for most situations. I know you'd like to closer so that's when you can adjust it, but put it on "1 bar" and it's quite concerning how close the vehicles are and I start to think "will it stop in time" for my liking.
I don't have any problem with you driving with 3 bars, but please, please stay out of the #1lane.You are a safety hazard there because of the greater that 3 bars distance, slowing down and catching up, it creates. Where I live everyone behind will pass you on the right, beeping their horn and giving you dirty looks (and more) to get out of that lane. I have no problem with you driving with 3 bars, just do it in the far right lane.
Old 10-23-19, 08:29 PM
pines19
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill
Are you asking how to re-engage adaptive cruise after braking? When you've pressed the brake when adaptive cruise is on, it will pause, and you have to push the level up to resume your previous settings. So for example, if I brake because the adaptive cruise is not braking or slowing fast enough, once traffic move again, I push up on the lever and it will resume following the car in front of me.
Old 10-24-19, 06:14 AM
bsekf
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, that makes sense...... after braking to a stop you pust the stalk up and re-engage the RCC and the stop and go will work. Of course the Forward Emergancy Braking SHOULD keep you from rear ending somebody in stop and go traffic. I've got to play with this some more.
Old 10-24-19, 06:32 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

OK, that makes sense...... after braking to a stop you pust the stalk up and re-engage the RCC and the stop and go will work. Of course the Forward Emergancy Braking SHOULD keep you from rear ending somebody in stop and go traffic. I've got to play with this some more.
The adaptive cruise should NOT allow any rear ending if it's operating properly. I typically don't use it though in stop and go - only on open roads where it works pretty flawlessly.
Old 10-24-19, 07:08 AM
B14Iron
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ACC works best when it's disengaged. Just saying.
The following 2 users liked this post by B14Iron:
Dampfwalze (10-24-19), gadgetman1 (12-23-19)
Old 10-24-19, 08:02 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by B14Iron
ACC works best when it's disengaged. Just saying.
I think many others will disagree but you're entitled to an opinion. Just don't use it.
Old 12-23-19, 02:13 PM
glossom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ACC enables safer driving by monitoring other vehicles and objects on the road, adaptive cruise control enables a safe and comfortable driving experience. It does so by helping the driver keep a steady vehicle speed at a given moment. The car will brake and accelerate on its own, while maintaining a safe distance from the vehicle in front.Intelligent cruise control systems rely on the vehicle’s connectivity to obtain early warnings and adjust speed accordingly. The result is a safer and more comfortable journey for the driver and passengers. Also helps with driving strategy choices, such as selecting a safe speed for the upcoming bend. Helps with driving strategy choices at roundabouts and junctions, without cruise control cancellation (selecting a safe speed).
Read more here:
https://www.tomtom.com/blog/adas/wha...ruise-control/

Quick Reply: Do you trust the adaptive cruise control?