RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Do you trust the adaptive cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-18, 10:57 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by TXRX350
I used the function last week driving to Austin from San Antonio. I kept it 3 bars and stayed alert by having my right foot ready to apply the break during heavy traffic. And I found that it did the auto adjusting in the stop-and-go traffic really well. It was my first time using the function since I just bought my new RX 350 about a month ago.
As you get braver you can go to two bars and than, the big one, 1 BAR
Old 02-26-18, 08:53 AM
vinniec
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like cars controlling things for me. It's taken me a while to accept the anti skid stuff. I must say I used this on a long trip last month and was surprised how well it worked. I kept my eyes on the road like normal. Once I chilled out I liked it. I did have to change the distance depending on traffic.
Old 07-21-18, 09:15 AM
apex47
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone now when the system uses the brakes to slow down, do the rear brake lights turn on? I'm assuming yes but not certain. Often times when I want to slow down I'll just release the gas. Gets annoying when the vehicle ahead of you presses the brakes too much and don't prefer to be that person when using adaptive cruise control. So far it's worked great on road trips and stop and go traffic as well.
Old 07-21-18, 11:24 AM
nextcar
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure the light turn on when the car brakes.
I've used the cruise control many times now, and never got rear ended so I think the other drivers are seeing the brake lights.

I used to set the distance to 2 bars on the freeway but now I usually use 3 bars, the longest distance.
Old 07-21-18, 03:17 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,368 Likes on 1,702 Posts

One bar for me always - anything more and it becomes annoying.
Old 07-21-18, 05:10 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Always one bar on a thruway for me. Any longer following distance and cars crowd ahead of me and my car keeps dropping back. The following distance also seems to be a slight function of speed, increasing the distance at higher speeds.
Old 07-22-18, 02:17 PM
nextcar
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Let's say you are cruising at 75 MPH.
You can see in the distance that cars have slowed considerably.

With 1 bar, your Lexus will hurtle down the road at 75 MPH until you get very close to the car ahead, and slams on the brakes.

Very anxiety provoking. That's why I set it to 3 bars.
The following users liked this post:
milk659 (08-05-18)
Old 07-22-18, 06:12 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by nextcar

With 1 bar, your Lexus will hurtle down the road at 75 MPH until you get very close to the car ahead, and slams on the brakes.

I always go 2 bars, yes 1 is not good for my anxiety.
Old 07-22-18, 07:45 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

If you can see that cars are slowing down considerably you should consider using your brake to slow down and deactivate the cruise control.
ravenuer (07-23-18)
Old 07-23-18, 12:57 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
One bar for me also. In the Chicago area if you set it for more than that, you will literally have the guy behind you trying to drive under your car! LOL
milk659 (08-05-18)
Old 07-23-18, 01:29 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,368 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I've never had it SLAM on the brakes. That should only happen if a car darts into your lane thus triggering the distance limiter.
Old 07-23-18, 01:42 PM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I select 3-bar on empty highway and 1-bar in traffic. And I trust it enough that I no longer hover my foot over the brake pedal.
Old 07-23-18, 07:38 PM
sejijohn
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Been using the car for nearly 3 months and it has worked for me till now. However, I always keep my foot near to the brakes and also keep an eye on the screen just to make sure if it identifies the vehicle in front of me. I use adaptive cruise mostly on freeways.
Old 07-23-18, 07:58 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Whether you call it dynamic radar cruise control or adaptive cruise control, it is a standard equipment on the 4th gen RX. I've used it many times on the freeway, and it usually works pretty well. My question to everyone is: when the car ahead of you is going around 60+ MPH, and brakes and comes to a fairly quick stop, do you trust the RX to brake and stop for you?

I have always intervened, and braked on my own. Does anyone have experience in this kind of situation, and let the car do its thing?
Angle of radar beam is pretty narrow. It becomes little shaky when you follow a motorcycle for an example. There is eve a warning about this.
Whatever you use, understanding it's capability and limit is very important. On my Distronics plus I can drive almost hands free on straight road.
Very accurate speed tolerance like +/- 1 Kmh. Using it is much easier than Lexus one. Speed can be set by 1Kmh or 5Kmh increment up or down.
I haven't run into a situation I have to brake yet.
Old 07-24-18, 10:35 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

[QUOTE=nextcar;10115163]Whether you call it dynamic radar cruise control or adaptive cruise control, it is a standard equipment on the 4th gen RX./QUOTE]

From 2017 model. My 2016 does not have it and it was available only on the fully loaded configuration (Executive package). Which I found stupid to spend 20K more than the Premium to get the feature that many other non-luxurious brands had them as standard or at the first upgrade level.

Seing nowadays Corollas equipped with some features that my luxury Lexus does not have, I find it frustrating to pay that much for less...

And I would have liked to have it.

Quick Reply: Do you trust the adaptive cruise control?