RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Ridiculous Radio Survey

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-17, 11:09 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 638 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
OMG, I can’t explain this any better. Go to the SiriusXM website & see for yourself. What you can subscribe to is driven by you VIN, so different makes/models will have different availability. It’s obvious that you don’t know about what you can’t get. There are channels that go way up into the 300s & more. I flat out do not understand what you are talking about in regards to abandoning a platform. Two separate companies had two separate receivers & channel lineups. The two companies merged into SiriusXM & opened up both channel lineups to just one receiver, a SiriusXM receiver, not a Sirius & not an XM. You can get all of the stations on AM & all of the stations on FM, right? Why not get all that are on Sirius & all that are on XM, if you want to pay for them? Who makes the radio receivers or who specs them out for each vehicle? The manufacturer does! How would SiriusXM have anything to do with what radios go in a Lexus or a VW or a Cadillac? It’s possible that there are some bandwidth issues, but that has nothing to do who gets the better radios, that choice is made by the auto maker.
OMG! All you had to do was tell me what channels you were missing, even one! Anyway, I think I figured it out on my own by comparing lineup PDF's. I see a few ch's that are only included with a "SiriusXM" radio, not a standalone "XM", or "Sirius" receiver. (Ex: Country Bar Songs Ch350)

The combined SiriusXM receiver is on a slow roll-out. It could be years for more manufactures to switch over, regardless of who makes the call. Why don't you just subscribe to the streaming plan and cut your losses? I guess you'll be doing more research before you purchase your next vehicle.

Found the link to the "Xtra" channels only available on the SiriusXM receivers: http://www.siriusxm.com/xtrachannels

Last edited by Mike728; 10-23-17 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-23-17, 11:43 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,471 Likes on 1,770 Posts

So according to you, everything is OK, right? What is your point?
We’ve owned a Kia, a GTI, & a Ram 1500 & they all received both Sirius & XM channels. This Lexus is our only recent vehicle that has XM only. My ex has a Lincoln & it does not have Sirius, only XM. I first subscribed to satellite radio in 2005. I had a choice of either an XM receiver or a Sirius receiver, but not both. Since then, the companies merged together & one can now have both, provided the receiver is able to read both signals. The problem is with the auto manufacturers, not SiriusXM. They only send out a signal that each receiver can play. If it’s not dual banded, we’re missing out. See attached pic.

Just saying it works for me. I've had it in Hyundai, Honda, Audi and now Lexus. Seems all the same to me.
Old 10-23-17, 03:08 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

There are no Lexus replacement radios. If you find one thru Lexus, post it & I’ll eat my words. You call your Lexus dealer & I’ll call mine & then we’ll report back with what we found. Deal??
No *****, Lexus really doesn't have replacement radios, I'm shocked.
I was supporting what you said about only getting XM not SiriusXM was a decision by Lexus.
Why not go back and read the chat with an open mind.
Old 10-23-17, 05:55 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
No *****, Lexus really doesn't have replacement radios, I'm shocked.
I was supporting what you said about only getting XM not SiriusXM was a decision by Lexus.
Why not go back and read the chat with an open mind.
I apologize for coming across as angry towards you - that is not what I meant. I’m really fed up with whole satellite radio scene. I would love to shut it off on both vehicles, but our cell phone coverage outside of where we live is very spotty. It’s gotten better in the last 2 years, but to use it to stream any kind of music feed would be an annoyance. I really feel the entire system of SiriusXM is a ripoff. Some channels have horrible audio, while others are good. On a positive note, I’m really pleased with the RX CD player. It plays store bought CDs as well as personal recordings. Has anyone noticed a difference in audio quality between the USB & their CD?
Old 10-24-17, 08:54 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

I apologize for coming across as angry towards you - that is not what I meant. I’m really fed up with whole satellite radio scene. I would love to shut it off on both vehicles, but our cell phone coverage outside of where we live is very spotty. It’s gotten better in the last 2 years, but to use it to stream any kind of music feed would be an annoyance. I really feel the entire system of SiriusXM is a ripoff. Some channels have horrible audio, while others are good. On a positive note, I’m really pleased with the RX CD player. It plays store bought CDs as well as personal recordings. Has anyone noticed a difference in audio quality between the USB & their CD?
No problem. It seems I'm one of the few who likes XM, good coverage with very few signal losses even though I live in the hills. I like the convenience of being able to scan my presets especially on short runs into town. I like listening to different genres of music instead of an entire CD or USB, both of which get far better sound.
I never listen to AM/FM music due to static and commercials.
Anyway, between airplanes and motorcycles, my hearing is shot.
I negotiate the XM fee.
Old 10-24-17, 09:09 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 379 Posts

Do not understand why EVERY Lexus does not have a SirusXM radio installed, I thought they did.
Old 10-24-17, 09:14 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

No problem. It seems I'm one of the few who likes XM, good coverage with very few signal losses even though I live in the hills. I like the convenience of being able to scan my presets especially on short runs into town. I like listening to different genres of music instead of an entire CD or USB, both of which get far better sound.
I never listen to AM/FM music due to static and commercials.
Anyway, between airplanes and motorcycles, my hearing is shot.
I negotiate the XM fee.
Try the HD radio for either AM or FM - no static if you receive the signal.
Old 10-24-17, 09:53 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I do enjoy the audio quality of HD Radio, but there are no HD stations within 150 miles.

Greg - tell me about it! Lexus is such a premium brand & to not have the latest satellite reception technology doesn’t make the brand shine very much. It makes me wonder what else is way out of date on my car. I’m happy with it, but I can’t sing all these praises that some folks do. I am very grateful I didn’t go for the Volvo XC90 as I had originally planned. They are not fairing well in Consumer Report’s tests.
Old 10-24-17, 10:06 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I do enjoy the audio quality of HD Radio, but there are no HD stations within 150 miles.

Greg - tell me about it! Lexus is such a premium brand & to not have the latest satellite reception technology doesn’t make the brand shine very much. It makes me wonder what else is way out of date on my car. I’m happy with it, but I can’t sing all these praises that some folks do. I am very grateful I didn’t go for the Volvo XC90 as I had originally planned. They are not fairing well in Consumer Report’s tests.
That's too bad - I get many HD including AM that are broadcast on the FM band in HD. I listen to more of that than any other source.
Old 10-24-17, 10:11 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 499 Likes on 379 Posts

My neighbor bought the XC90. Been talking and bragging about it for months waiting on it to arrive.

I was impressed as it has a LOT of electronics, all of which seemed to be working. His love for the XC90 has worn thin as everything seem to go haywire now. All kinds of error messages and worst it will not start first thing in he morning. I actually loaned him my LX to get his wife to the airport about a week ago. If Volvo gets the bugs worked out, it looks to be a great vehicle. The interior and exterior has great fit and finish. He was returning from the dealer and all was working until he smelled something like burnt wire. He got off at the first exit and turned around to get it back to the dealer were it remains.

I had looked at the XC90 and saw it was their first major upgrade into electronics and I did not want anything to do with it.
Old 10-24-17, 10:15 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
My neighbor bought the XC90. Been talking and bragging about it for months waiting on it to arrive.

I was impressed as it has a LOT of electronics, all of which seemed to be working. His love for the XC90 has worn thin as everything seem to go haywire now. All kinds of error messages and worst it will not start first thing in he morning. I actually loaned him my LX to get his wife to the airport about a week ago. If Volvo gets the bugs worked out, it looks to be a great vehicle. The interior and exterior has great fit and finish. He was returning from the dealer and all was working until he smelled something like burnt wire. He got off at the first exit and turned around to get it back to the dealer were it remains.

I had looked at the XC90 and saw it was their first major upgrade into electronics and I did not want anything to do with it.
Check out the forum there for lots of interesting threads.
Old 10-24-17, 10:54 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

While I believe gadgetman knows what he is talking about, I am sure it does not affect most customers.
I have All Access, and receive same channels (that I listen to) in the NX, RX, Echo, two Grace Radios and iphone app.
No clue if XM or Sirius or both, just that I am satisfied and could care less at this time.
The following users liked this post:
mikemu30 (10-24-17)
Old 10-24-17, 11:58 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I just checked HD stations in my area.
There is one AM station, it's a sports talk station.
There is one FM station, it's a pop station loaded with commercials, I avoid commercials like the plague.
Old 10-24-17, 12:08 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 638 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by kent2174
While I believe gadgetman knows what he is talking about, I am sure it does not affect most customers.
I have All Access, and receive same channels (that I listen to) in the NX, RX, Echo, two Grace Radios and iphone app.
No clue if XM or Sirius or both, just that I am satisfied and could care less at this time.
You're missing 8 ch's that are available only on the combined receiver.

ONEderland

SiriusXM and SiriusXM Internet Radio Ch. 303

Five decades of artists that had one big hit…and that was it! R&B, Country, Dance, Rock, Pop, New Wave, Novelty, Instrumentals and more! 24/7, this is a collection of hits that started and ended a career…in 3 minutes!

Poptropolis

SiriusXM and SiriusXM Internet Radio Ch. 300

Decades of music in one place. Hear a complete mix of the biggest pop music from all the genres. Set it and forget it! No punching around for decades of the biggest Pop music!

Rock Bar

SiriusXM and SiriusXM Internet Radio Ch. 313

A non-stop rockin' party with sing-a-long anthems from artists like AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Van Halen, Nickelback, The Ramones, Aerosmith, Motley Crüe, Led Zeppelin and more.

Red White & Booze

SiriusXM and SiriusXM Internet Radio Ch. 350

The music of country-themed bars and honky tonks across America, featuring a mix of country and rock songs from artists like Toby Keith, Kenny Chesney, Zac Brown Band, Jason Aldean, Kid Rock, Lynyrd Skynyrd and more.

SiriusXM Comes Alive!

SiriusXM and SiriusXM Internet Radio Ch. 316

Hear live classic rock recordings seamlessly hand crafted, song by song. Even if you weren't there, you can experience these magical moments 24/7 on one channel. Get your lighters out and get ready to rock as SiriusXM Comes Alive!

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Radio

SiriusXM and SiriusXM Internet Radio Ch. 310

SiriusXM has partnered with the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame to commemorate the artists who've been enshrined into The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Museum. Hear music and stories from Rock Hall inductees The Beatles, Buddy Holly, The Temptations, The Doors, Pink Floyd, U2, Tom Petty, and more.

Utopia

SiriusXM and SiriusXM Internet Radio Ch. 55

From club anthems to guilty pop pleasures to underground classics – dance hits from the '90s & 2000s. Hear pop icons like Janet Jackson, dance divas like Amber, and electronic music pioneers like Daft Punk.

Faction

SiriusXM and SiriusXM Internet Radio Ch. 314

A unique combination of music and personalities, Faction is Punk, Rock and Beats hosted by Jason Ellis, Tony Hawk, punk legend Marky Ramone, Rancid/Transplants frontman Tim Armstrong and more!
Old 10-24-17, 12:26 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I just checked HD stations in my area.
There is one AM station, it's a sports talk station.
There is one FM station, it's a pop station loaded with commercials, I avoid commercials like the plague.
Too bad - I have numerous options for HD as I live 25 miles outside of NYC.

Quick Reply: Ridiculous Radio Survey