RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Water inside car/drain clogged (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-23, 09:01 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 274 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexypoo25
How does this impact one's carfax? Does the car value go down due to water intrusion/damage?
Carfax doesn't know unless it's reported as bad. It's not an bad accident with frame damage.

If it's this issue then it's a maintenance issue.

Old 07-19-23, 09:03 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 274 Likes on 210 Posts

To all Lexus owners who were/are affected by the so called spider web/insects issue clogging the AC drain line - please let me know if you are interested in filing a class action suit. I will be contacting a lawyer shortly. Thanks.
Maybe there's a TSB on this already.
Old 07-20-23, 04:42 AM
jcg0324
Advanced

Received 252 Likes on 166 Posts

To all Lexus owners who were/are affected by the so called spider web/insects issue clogging the AC drain line - please let me know if you are interested in filing a class action suit. I will be contacting a lawyer shortly. Thanks.
Mercedes lost one in court because of mold and mildew in the A/C system. No mention of spiders.

https://www.lieffcabraser.com/defect...-benz-ac-mold/
Old 07-20-23, 06:41 AM
Lexypoo25
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
Maybe there's a TSB on this already.
Nope. No warranty fix for this. There are two TSBs acknowledging the issue (but not accepting responsibility due to manufacturer defect) and installing insect repellent screens/barriers at the end of the drain line to prevent this from happening.

Here's one from 2014-

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...32808-9999.pdf

Here's the updated one from 2021-
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...01401-9999.pdf

They've known about this issue for a very long time, this is absolutely infuriating.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lexypoo25:
AA2016 (12-01-23), jollick (08-02-23)
Old 07-24-23, 04:27 AM
mystang52
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

'22 RX 350 (bought it brand new last year), same issue with mine! They claim insects clogged AC drain. Noticed water in front passenger floor. Entire interior has to come out, carpet and padding/insulation beneath needs to be replaced. Quote-$8,000. Not covered by warranty because it's due to "outside forces" and not manufacturer issue (BS). Have to go through insurance and pay deductible. Super upsetting. Oh and it'll take 3-4 weeks. My first Lexus, disappointed to say the least. I got a Lexus instead of a BMW so I'd have piece of mind. The irony.
My wife insisted on getting this model, as well. I love my Audi. I had no idea, of course, about this water issue before we bought the car, but what I do remember: EVERY time we brought in our sedan for servicing they tried hard-sell for additional [for fee, of course] services. And, I had to fight them, twice, on repairs covered by the extended warranty. Never had these issues with my 2 Audi's. We managed to succeed with insurance claim for this water leak, but I told wife this is our last Lexus.
Old 07-24-23, 05:56 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by mystang52
My wife insisted on getting this model, as well. I love my Audi. I had no idea, of course, about this water issue before we bought the car, but what I do remember: EVERY time we brought in our sedan for servicing they tried hard-sell for additional [for fee, of course] services. And, I had to fight them, twice, on repairs covered by the extended warranty. Never had these issues with my 2 Audi's. We managed to succeed with insurance claim for this water leak, but I told wife this is our last Lexus.
Sounds like your issue was with the dealer, not the car. My RX was perfect.
Old 07-31-23, 03:20 AM
mystang52
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Sounds like your issue was with the dealer, not the car. My RX was perfect.
By definition each of our stories are anecdotal, but FWIW: My experience described 2 different dealers, one where I bought the sedan back in '13, and now this one. My daughter bought her Lexus from a 3rd local dealership, and has been dealing with similar fights regarding warranty issues. For us, never again for Lexus.
Old 08-02-23, 06:44 AM
Lexypoo25
Driver

My car has been at the shop for 2.5 weeks and still no word on when it will be fixed because we are going through insurance. I am beyond pissed. Looking to contact a class action lawyer soon, please PM me if you are interested in joining
Old 08-10-23, 03:11 PM
Laura17
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem and got the same bs answer. This is my 5th Lexus and they’ve all been great except for this one. Dealer is useless.
Old 08-16-23, 03:31 PM
Lexypoo25
Driver

Originally Posted by jrcaputo
Has anyone experienced this? My 2017 RX has water accumulating in the passenger side foot well. I live in the northeast and am dealing with a high volume dealership. I brought the vehicle into service and they informed me that there have been multiple issues (3 in the last 5 weeks). The story I was given by my service consultant was that spiders boro into the AC drainage plug causing it to clog and backing water up into the cabin. The accumulating water causes black mold to form with explains the odd odor. Their solution is to pull out all carpeting and padding and perform mold remediation. Now here's where it gets good, after telling me they had between 15 and 20 cases, they inform me that I need to put an insurance claim in to cover the repair which runs between $5K and $6K and that I would be responsible for any deductible. This vehicle is 9 months old with 6K miles on it. I had a 2015 RX that I loved and had no issues with. Any comments or suggestions?
I'm in NJ as well, which dealership was this?
Old 08-21-23, 03:05 PM
Mewannalex
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

So, does the thousands of dollars dealer “repair” works? I’m planning on getting a 2017 RX and this thread got me scare now. SMH
Old 08-21-23, 03:42 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Mewannalex
So, does the thousands of dollars dealer “repair” works? I’m planning on getting a 2017 RX and this thread got me scare now. SMH
If your RX doesn't have the water issue now, you could prevent the problem by keeping the A/C drain hose clear. I had the same problem with a Toyota RAV4. I caught mine early and had to remove the carpeting and sound deadening materials and let them dry in the sun. I then blew through the drain line and cleared it. I do that every year or two and haven't had a problem since. My RAV4 drain hose was just underneath the passenger footwell. I assume the RX would be similiar.
BTW, my 2017 RX350 never had a problem, with anything.
Old 08-21-23, 06:55 PM
jcg0324
Advanced

Received 252 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Mewannalex
A clogged evaporator drain line is not unique to a Lexus RX. It can happen to any vehicle that has AC. However, the damage it may cause will vary depending on the design. I would not let the information in this thread keep me from buying an RX.

Last edited by jcg0324; 08-22-23 at 03:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (08-23-23)
Old 08-21-23, 07:38 PM
Chirpers
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
If your RX doesn't have the water issue now, you could prevent the problem by keeping the A/C drain hose clear. I had the same problem with a Toyota RAV4. I caught mine early and had to remove the carpeting and sound deadening materials and let them dry in the sun. I then blew through the drain line and cleared it. I do that every year or two and haven't had a problem since. My RAV4 drain hose was just underneath the passenger footwell. I assume the RX would be similiar.
BTW, my 2017 RX350 never had a problem, with anything.
wow that brings back long forgotten memories. I had an 88 Camry that leaked all into the cabin. had to pull all the flooring out and dry it as well. my 77 Celica had a few issues and it did leave me stranded once. In my older age, I have completely forgotten these vehicles. aside from my 71 VW SuperBeetle, I guess I've always had a Toyota product in my life. My father-in-law had a Lexus ES...from the late 90s or early 00s. The weep holes clogged with oak tree crap, and it got heavily flooded. He literally just gave the car away. Continued to park his new LS430 in the same spot but had no other problem.

I've had zero issues with my RXs 2009, 2015, 2018, and now a 2022. Combined mileage all over the US in those cars of over 1/4 million.
Old 09-04-23, 12:38 PM
Tkimmell
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driverside floor mat is water soaked 2019 RX350

Center portion of driverside floor mat is soaked with what seems to be water. Clogged roofrack drains checked OK.

Quick Reply: Water inside car/drain clogged (merged threads)