RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Can I get scheduled maintenance done at a Toyota dealer or independent shop?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-21, 08:27 PM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Nkd15
Curious, what they are doing for $300 for a 6 month service?
Depends, which service interval is he getting done?

EVERY 6 MONTHS OR 5,000 MILES

• Reset Scheduled Maintenance Reminder.
  • Perform Road-Test on Vehicle.
  • Rotate Tires.
  • Inspect and Adjust All Fluid Levels.
  • Inspect Wiper Blades.
  • Visually Inspect Brake Pads, Calipers and Rotors.

EVERY YEAR OR 10,000 MILES

• Inspect Wiper Blades.
  • Replace Engine Oil And Oil Filter.
    (Reset “Maint Reqd” Light if equipped after maintenance at every 5,000 miles)
  • Replace Cabin Air Filter (if equipped).
  • Visually Inspect Brake Pads, Calipers and Rotors.
  • Add EFI Fuel Tank Additive.

EVERY 18 MONTHS OR 15,000 MILES

• Inspect Axle Shaft Boots.
  • Inspect Body/Chassis.
  • Inspect Rack-and-Pinion Assembly.
  • Inspect Wiper Blades.
  • Inspect Ball Joints And Dust Covers.
  • Inspect Brake Lines And Hoses.

Old 06-15-21, 04:23 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,077 Likes on 701 Posts

$300 for a tire rotation it better be a very good one. That should cost $25. The rest of these items are inspections. After over one million miles I never go in to my Lexus or Toyota dealership and ask for a 10,000, 20,000, 30,000 etc. mile scheduled maintenance. I get the tires rotated if they are wearing evenly which they always do at every 10,000 miles. Every 10,000, I get the oil changed. I take my $5 Toyota oil filter bought on line and my Mobil 1 bought at Walmart for $23 to the dealer who charge me $35 labor to change. Mobil runs a $15 rebate on the oil so net for the oil is $8. I do this not only to save money but more importantly to have Mobil 1 in the engine. So oil change net is $48 parts and labor. Every year I replace my cabin and engine air filter. Takes for both five minutes and cost $40 for both. Every 30,000 miles I get the brake fluid changed at $130. So for me every 30,000 and or three years my total maintenance cost is $468.
Tire rotations (3) $75
Oil Changes (3) $140
Filters $120
Brake fluid change $130

If I went in and ordered over 30,000 miles the six scheduled maintenances I would be paying well over $2,500.

Last edited by Freds430; 06-15-21 at 04:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Freds430:
jcg0324 (06-16-21), rxtimes2 (06-16-21)
Old 06-15-21, 06:06 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Both my local Toyota dealer and independent repair guy update my Lexus service records online. The independent works on a lot of Toyotas and Hondas and handles my Lexus with ease.
Old 06-15-21, 07:31 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,390 Likes on 1,716 Posts

I use the dealer while under warranty but NEVER for the XX,XXX mile services. Oil change every 6K or so, tire rotations every 10K for AWD vehicles, none for FWD vehicles. Filters air and cabin take five minutes each to do yourself. I like to have the oil change on record at the dealer just in case
The following users liked this post:
dannnn (06-15-21)
Old 06-15-21, 10:58 AM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I use the dealer while under warranty but NEVER for the XX,XXX mile services. Oil change every 6K or so, tire rotations every 10K for AWD vehicles, none for FWD vehicles. Filters air and cabin take five minutes each to do yourself. I like to have the oil change on record at the dealer just in case
the stealership wants 140 for a cabin air filter replacement lmao. 3 pack on amazon for 20 bucks and it really does take 5 mins.
Old 06-15-21, 01:19 PM
pentaprism
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

In the last 31 years since my first new vehicle, a 1990 Mazda MPV, I've brought my vehicles to the dealers maybe 30 times, about 20 of them were warranty/recall works, the others were for major services when I couldn't find any reasonably reliable local independent shops.

I do all regular maintenance and minor repair works myself.

No-one has ever given me trouble in terms of warranty because I don't let the dealers to do maintenance works.

If my Lexus dealer had its way, I'd have to breath Lexus air, wear Lexus face mask, drink Lexus coffee, .... to avoid voiding the warranty.

Last edited by pentaprism; 06-15-21 at 10:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
artem123 (06-15-21)
Old 06-15-21, 07:15 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 276 Likes on 212 Posts

I used to do most of my maintenance on my vehicles myself back in the day and only brought it to the dealers for bigger items and it's no problem to the dealers. I documented all oil changes, tire and any other maintenances. Nowadays, dealers are more strict esp when something fails they question the maintenance to not offer a warranty. No matter if it was Honda/Acura or Toyota dealer, the dealers never gave me any issues in the past. If you can be a good DIY mechanic, do the work yourself if you have time. You'll learn a lot and save some $$$ at the same time. If you're short of time or something else, probably use a trusted mechanic.

We caught independent mechanics that didn't change the oil before at a number of places before so those aren't perfect. One independent shop didn't do the brakes right on our Toyota van before and it was squeezing like crazy. They had no solution to fix it even with OEM pads.

At dealerships, I found mechanics left my air filter housing box at a Toyota dealership and the Acura dealer broke the broken screw for the air filter box when they opened it to inspect it. They didn't even fix it. So bad also. One disgruntled employee damaged my driver side door panel on my Acura SUV, I got it repair about I complained about it after I realized it at home. No charge for that. Always inspect your vehicle after any service.

I heard about so many people saving a buck or two at Jiffy Lube and having damaged their vehicle with inexperience technicians that didn't put oil in the engine or used the wrong oil or cut corners. Search youtube, the ware even more bad stories. I hear stories people buy super expensive cars but ran out of money to take care of them esp important when buying an used vehicle.

Best solution is to find a trusted mechanic that doesn't cut corners and is honest about their work with a reasonable price. I don't see that many Toyota/Lexus mechanics in my area except BMW and others. Note that some independent mechanics do use non-OEM parts to save money so the price looks cheaper. Request OEM parts if you want those.

If you don't know any good mechanics in your area, dealers are a last resort. Btw, Lexus services are expensive compared to Acura service.
Old 06-15-21, 07:27 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 461 Likes on 323 Posts

FYI, oil changes done at dealers are usually done by the flunkies trying to work their way up.
There are bazillions of stories of incorrectly torqued wheels, warping rotors...
A good independent is easily as good; perhaps better. They may let you bring in your own oil so you get what you want instead of dealer bulk.
I prefer to do my own services, as I use top quality fluids and filters.
Having said that, we purchased the service package for our new RX.
It was discounted, but just the same it ain't cheap.
Old 06-16-21, 03:49 AM
jallen4
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
FYI, oil changes done at dealers are usually done by the flunkies trying to work their way up.
There are bazillions of stories of incorrectly torqued wheels, warping rotors...
A good independent is easily as good; perhaps better. They may let you bring in your own oil so you get what you want instead of dealer bulk.
Let me give you a different perspective from someone actually in the business. I most often hired recent automotive school graduates to do oil changes in a dealership environment. This gave them the opportunity to learn how a dealer's shop actually works and an income to start investing in the necessary tools for their career. They were highly motivated and eager to impress.

Most independents are not going to have that opportunity to hire at that entry point because of pay scale and lack of long term opportunity. It would be a ridiculous assumption that all "oil changers" in a dealership are "flunkies" and the independents use nothing but grizzled veterans.
The following 4 users liked this post by jallen4:
danais7 (06-16-21), JasDmw (06-16-21), Lex918 (06-16-21), rxtimes2 (06-17-21)
Old 06-16-21, 05:43 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dannnn
the stealership wants 140 for a cabin air filter replacement lmao. 3 pack on amazon for 20 bucks and it really does take 5 mins.
Just unconscionable.
Old 06-16-21, 05:45 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
But if the dealer flunkies mess up, it's not your problem. if Jiffy Lube flunkies mess up, hmmmm......
Old 06-16-21, 05:53 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by dannnn
So you think the dealer ought to get them from Amazon? How do you know they are OEM? I can agree that sometimes dealers can be real *****es, but this is ridiculous.
Had mine done at the dealer and the filter cost was about $40 plus the labour and it DOESN'T take 5 min, but from 15m to 20 min depending on the person's skill.
Most dealers and mechanics work on min charge basis and perhaps your dealer was charging you for 30-45 min labour, most common charge is 30 min.
Old 06-16-21, 08:16 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cocal
So you think the dealer ought to get them from Amazon? How do you know they are OEM? I can agree that sometimes dealers can be real *****es, but this is ridiculous.
Had mine done at the dealer and the filter cost was about $40 plus the labour and it DOESN'T take 5 min, but from 15m to 20 min depending on the person's skill.
Most dealers and mechanics work on min charge basis and perhaps your dealer was charging you for 30-45 min labour, most common charge is 30 min.
Takes me FIVE minutes and I'm the furthest thing from a mechanic. In fact on my ES, takes even less than five minutes since the glove compartment doesn't have to be removed like in the RX.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
Freds430 (06-18-21), rxtimes2 (06-17-21)
Old 06-16-21, 10:06 AM
pentaprism
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

Dealers are expensive but it is not because they are set up to gouge the customers. It is because they have bills to pay.

Let's say you bring your RX450h to a dealer, and ask them to move your coffee cup from the front center console to the console between the rear seats. They'll need to have a service adviser to write up the order. A technician then needs to take a look at the work to be done. The service adviser then calls you back with an estimate, and time the work will be completed. The accounting department needs to generate an invoice.... Meanwhile, someone has to clean the waiting lounge, buy the coffee, maintain the wi-fi system, dump the trash, .... And there are real estate cost/insurances/taxes, .... Time: 2 hrs, cost: $150. How much of this $150 do you think goes to the owner?

If you were to move the coffee cup yourself: time: 2 seconds, cost: $0.
Old 06-16-21, 10:41 AM
yuri2i
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by valexus88
Hi all - 2020 RX 450h - I had my first two service trips paid by the dealer. Now I need to figure out if I continue getting service at the dealer or do I try an independent shop. The dealer is quoting $330 for the 6 month service.
1. Does it void the warranty if I go to an independent shop and they cannot upload the service to my history?
2. What are the pros and cons of going to the dealer for service vs an independent shop?

Appreciate any feedback!
I’m confused. I just have my first 6 month service 3k miles for free, why you needed 2 services before 6 month?

Quick Reply: Can I get scheduled maintenance done at a Toyota dealer or independent shop?