RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Question on S-Flow

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-20, 11:37 AM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

Received 204 Likes on 79 Posts

For 17RX to 19RX. Not sure about the 20RX

Last edited by yok3dIS; 07-14-20 at 11:41 AM. Reason: correction
Old 07-14-20, 11:42 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 410 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Energy saving airflow control. With S-Flow on, doesn't it detect passengers and direct air automatically? My wife has it on her 17RX, we never touch the control and it seems to work properly.
I dunno, does it? I drive about 80% with no passengers, 15% with a front seat passenger and 5% with one or two rear passengers and 1 front seat passenger. If I leave “S-Flow” ON, will it automatically know what to do?

Last edited by daryll40; 07-14-20 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-14-20, 11:42 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Dash hard button in 2016/17/18 RX's
2019 and on have the Split Flow button buried in the HVAC submenu.
Old 07-14-20, 12:36 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

OK, I found this video (below) that's pretty good. I think they are saying this:
S-Flow ON is a smart air-flow controller. It will send air to just the driver if there are no passengers. It will sense a front passenger and send the air to both the driver and front passenger, but no air to the back. What's not clear is what happens if there are rear passenger(s). Is there a sensor for that? If so, then S-Flow can stay "ON". If not, then it should be "CANCEL"ed so that air flows to the entire car, including to the rear passengers.

Old 07-14-20, 02:01 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

At least on my '18RX, opening and closing the rear door is enough to start sending air to the back seats. Resets when I shut down and lock the doors. I don't have the S-Flow dash button on mine.
Old 07-14-20, 06:21 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I found S-Flow annoying so I had my dealership disable it in Techstream.
Old 07-15-20, 03:37 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
While the S-Flow button is gone on my 2019 the S-Flow is still present. It was beastly hot the other day and I got into the car alone and noticed no air was coming from the rear vents. I picked up the kids and suddenly there was airflow back there - I'm guessing opening the rear door triggered it.

The fact is the entire volume of air within the cabin needs to be cooled for optimal comfort and when S-Flow is activated ⅔ of the cabin has reduced airflow. This is a "feature" I can't believe Lexus wasted a single $1 developing - the rationale from the start is flawed especially since I can't tell the difference in airflow in the front seat with S-Flow on or off - in other words it doesn't feel any colder or blow any harder when S-Flow is diverting airflow just to the front so now it's just restricting airflow to 2/3 of the car. Brilliant!

I want a job working for a car manufacture where engineers present stupid ideas like this and I just ask why and then smack them in the head.
What if the rear passengers get in BEFORE you start the car?
Old 07-15-20, 08:14 AM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
What if the rear passengers get in BEFORE you start the car?
Having the rear doors opened anytime after you unlock the doors (and yes, before the car is started too) will "disable" S-Flow and send air to the rear.

It's gotten to the point where if I know I want the air flow everywhere, I unlock the car, open the rear door (even if no one's going in), close the rear door, get in driver's seat, start the car and go.

Lexus should have made this a voice-activated command to toggle the S-Flow if they were going to add this (useless to me) feature and remove the dash button. Same with the A/C button.
Old 07-15-20, 08:22 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kolokmee
Having the rear doors opened anytime after you unlock the doors (and yes, before the car is started too) will "disable" S-Flow and send air to the rear.

It's gotten to the point where if I know I want the air flow everywhere, I unlock the car, open the rear door (even if no one's going in), close the rear door, get in driver's seat, start the car and go.

Lexus should have made this a voice-activated command to toggle the S-Flow if they were going to add this (useless to me) feature and remove the dash button. Same with the A/C button.

I agree. Esp on the need for a hard A/C switch
Old 07-15-20, 08:28 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
OK, I found this video (below) that's pretty good. I think they are saying this:
S-Flow ON is a smart air-flow controller. It will send air to just the driver if there are no passengers. It will sense a front passenger and send the air to both the driver and front passenger, but no air to the back. What's not clear is what happens if there are rear passenger(s). Is there a sensor for that? If so, then S-Flow can stay "ON". If not, then it should be "CANCEL"ed so that air flows to the entire car, including to the rear passengers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_OIDdTGLhI
That's how I understand it, but it won't send cool air to the back, you have to press the button, it's easy sit someone in the back and if the green light of S-Flow is still on then it is not sending A/C to the back if it's off then it does. Also it doesn't work by only opening the back door as there many reasons to do that without a person sitting in those seats.

Last edited by Cocal; 07-15-20 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-15-20, 08:34 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by kolokmee

ONLY in 2018 MY and later, with my 2017 this doesn't work
Old 02-18-21, 11:01 AM
IrvSp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RX350 Rear Seat AC/Heat controls, 2019 model

OK, I guess I can't read or it doesn't work the way I think it should. From the RX350 manual:

Of course the Voice Commands doesn't have control of this feature.

What I want is to have the READ vents always working. I would 'think' that 'MANUAL' would do that?

What is happening is that the rear vents ONLY work when I open the Nav display, select Comfort, and then the Options menu, and I see this:

I only have #2 and it shows either a 'blue' or 'orange' bar. I assume BLUE is on, and when I turn it 'orange', I get airflow in the back. Even when no one is sitting there.

However, it now seems that this will not 'stick' between trips. I have to manually change it every trip. Is this normal? I don't think it was before, and the last time I was in the firmware for the Entertainment unit was updated.

So, is this 'normal' to have to set it each time, or do I have an issue with the car?
Old 02-18-21, 11:42 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 681 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by IrvSp
I have to manually change it every trip. Is this normal?
Yes. It defaults to S-Flow on.
Old 02-18-21, 01:11 PM
IrvSp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so S-Flow will basically always be one. If I did set it to manual, it would revert to Auto on the next use of the car, correct?

All well and fine, but it doesn't allow airflow to the back seat it seems when someone is sitting in it? It says it will be disabled if a passenger is in a back seat, but that isn't happening? I have to manually disable it?

Trip to the dealer I guess is in order?
Old 02-18-21, 02:03 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 681 Likes on 399 Posts

The explanation of S-flow in the manual is not Lexus' finest piece of prose. There's at least one other thread on this forum on the same subject. People who live in the hot parts, like Texas, really don't appreciate it.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (02-19-21)

Quick Reply: Question on S-Flow