RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Tire Pressure Readings After Rotating Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-16, 08:23 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by daryll40
Naah. The damn thing is too big, too cumbersome and I can never find topics listed the way I think they should be listed. Besides, what good is this forum to me if I read the manual?

I can respect that answer.
Old 11-17-16, 10:27 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

The tire pressure warning system must be initialized in the following circumstances: ● When the tire inflation pressure is changed such as when changing traveling speed. ● When the tire inflation pressure is changed such as when the tire size is changed. ● When rotating the tires When the tire pressure warning system is initialized, the current tire inflation pressure is set as the benchmark pressure.
Old 11-17-16, 10:43 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 412 Likes on 282 Posts

Now THAT is definitive information. Yet even that begs the following quesitons:

1. What about when new tires OF THE SAME SIZE are installed? Why would they mention the unusual situation of changing tire sizes but not the usual situation of replacing tires?
2. What does it mean "when changing speed"? Speed continually changes. HUH?
3. Do you have to reset the TPMS when topping off the tires with air...or maybe deflating a little in the hot summer, as I do monthly, especially during change of seasons?
Old 08-09-17, 10:52 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Anybody rotate the tires themselves? I'm going to try to rotate myself, but worried the 20" tire package might be too heavy for me. I'm about 5'6" 170 lbs and 40ish years old.

Thanks,
Old 08-09-17, 11:55 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer
Anybody rotate the tires themselves? I'm going to try to rotate myself, but worried the 20" tire package might be too heavy for me. I'm about 5'6" 170 lbs and 40ish years old.

Thanks,
Why would you want to do this yourself?
Old 08-09-17, 11:57 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Everyone should have the RX manual downloaded on their cell phone. The PDF has a search feature that really works well.
The following users liked this post:
Hubs (11-02-17)
Old 08-09-17, 12:09 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,411 Likes on 1,731 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Everyone should have the RX manual downloaded on their cell phone. The PDF has a search feature that really works well.
True and I suspect many of us do but many times there is ambiguous information in there and that's what this forum is for - to share knowledge.
Old 08-09-17, 01:54 PM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by skiracer

Thanks,
I change my summers to winters and visa versa. I carry the suckers up and down the stairs. Rotating the tires is a much easier job and you don't really have to lift them. I use my feet to help get them on the lugs. One foot on each side of the tire helps lift them. I have 20's also

Now Greg, I like doing this sort of thing so ....

As far as is it difficult, nope, I have two disc's in my back gone south and a lot older than 40 ish. You might be a bit sort the next day and a little stiff. Try it once and you'll know if it's for you. It's not a money issue, it's a board and like to inspect "stuff" with the wheels off, plus you get to really clean the barrels.
Old 08-09-17, 04:02 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
I change my summers to winters and visa versa. I carry the suckers up and down the stairs. Rotating the tires is a much easier job and you don't really have to lift them. I use my feet to help get them on the lugs. One foot on each side of the tire helps lift them. I have 20's also

Now Greg, I like doing this sort of thing so ....

As far as is it difficult, nope, I have two disc's in my back gone south and a lot older than 40 ish. You might be a bit sort the next day and a little stiff. Try it once and you'll know if it's for you. It's not a money issue, it's a board and like to inspect "stuff" with the wheels off, plus you get to really clean the barrels.
Thanks i'll give it a shot! Is there enough room on the jack rail thingy's to use a floor jack and place a jackstand directly next to it?
Old 08-10-17, 06:26 AM
FastFord
Racer

I have a floor jack but it's just too big. Floor jack would work, make sure you place it in the right spot. I think they show you in the owners manual. I just used the jack that comes with the car.
Old 08-10-17, 05:34 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I've never found tire rotations make much economic sense. The cost incurred outweighs any benefit you get from extending treadlife.
Old 08-10-17, 06:32 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I've never found tire rotations make much economic sense. The cost incurred outweighs any benefit you get from extending treadlife.
Don't you have any places near you that do tire rotations for free? I have never paid for a tire rotation.

It's also important that you're getting your tires inspected during rotation.
Old 08-10-17, 06:43 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Lexus Master Tech here,

The vehicle knows where the tires are at all times based on how strong or weak the tire pressure sensor data is. Every time an engine start is performed that search begins all over again. There is nothing that you as the owner/driver need to do once a rotation is done.

The Tire pressure reset in the menu function on the combination menu is for setting the threshold of when the low tire light comes on. For example, if your tires are at 35 psi at the time of initialization, then the low tire light will illuminate at around 27 psi. It is individual to each wheel.
Old 08-10-17, 07:07 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Don't you have any places near you that do tire rotations for free? I have never paid for a tire rotation.

It's also important that you're getting your tires inspected during rotation.
I haven't found any For Profit businesses that perform services for free. Yeah maybe a loss leader where they throw it in with an oil change but I use the dealer always when the car is under warranty.
Old 08-11-17, 03:39 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I haven't found any For Profit businesses that perform services for free. Yeah maybe a loss leader where they throw it in with an oil change but I use the dealer always when the car is under warranty.
I pulled into a Sun Tire and asked for them to rotate my tires and it only took them about 15 minutes and they did not charge a penny. It is not common but these people will get a shot at my tires when I need them.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Readings After Rotating Tires