RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Beat-sonic CarPlay solution

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-17, 05:15 AM
fular
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daveylin
I have so oo many questions!

Mainly, what happens when you are screen sharing and you get a phone call? Does it go through the car mic and speakers?

does the navigation go through the car speakers?

can I listen to the car radio and still have the navigation run and give me directions?

thanks!
The call goes through the car speaker
The navigation goes through the speaker

I noticed that if you use Siri then the view will be switched back to the car map, you have to switch back the view to the phone sharing after you finish using Siri

You can not listen to the car radio if you are watching the car screen, you can swich to the radio and go back to the phone when you want or you can use radio application on the phone.
Old 01-27-17, 01:11 PM
samvitbhar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus supports RGB without opening any parts through AUX cable. You can use 4 pole 3.5mm AUX adapter (Goes where AUX port is in dashboard) to input RGB to Nav. Now you can use HDMI converter to convert RGB to HDMI and connect your Apple device. By this setup you will be able to watch apple/android on the screen but you will not be able to use in motion due to speed sensor.

You will need:
1. 3.5mm AUX to RGB cable - $5
2. RGB to HDMI converter - $15-30
3. HDMI to ios/android cable - iOS $50
4. Charger cable for phone & for HDMI box if needed

You can also use 2A charger to charge the device. You can buy 3rd party or DIY DVD bypass in motion fix to enable during motion. I hope this helps anyone who wants to make use of this setup.
Old 01-30-17, 10:38 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by samvitbhar
Lexus supports RGB without opening any parts through AUX cable. You can use 4 pole 3.5mm AUX adapter (Goes where AUX port is in dashboard) to input RGB to Nav. Now you can use HDMI converter to convert RGB to HDMI and connect your Apple device. By this setup you will be able to watch apple/android on the screen but you will not be able to use in motion due to speed sensor.

You will need:
1. 3.5mm AUX to RGB cable - $5
2. RGB to HDMI converter - $15-30
3. HDMI to ios/android cable - iOS $50
4. Charger cable for phone & for HDMI box if needed

You can also use 2A charger to charge the device. You can buy 3rd party or DIY DVD bypass in motion fix to enable during motion. I hope this helps anyone who wants to make use of this setup.

Do you have links for the above?
I know for the cable just any one will not work.
You need to make sure the pin out is correct.
Old 01-30-17, 10:47 AM
samvitbhar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bootman
Do you have links for the above?
I know for the cable just any one will not work.
You need to make sure the pin out is correct.
It is part of the user manual. Here is the link to that thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...aux-cable.html
I have personally done this and it is working fine. I have yet to enable the DVD in motion though. You need any 4 pole aux cable (There are many varieties available) which can pin out the Video/Audio signals regardless of their positions (Make sure ground is not a pin out) Many amazon sellers have posted their pin outs on their product page or you might find them in question/answers.
Old 01-31-17, 01:13 PM
t4tran
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DVD in motion comes with beatsonic setup. You can turn the motion off or no with a few simple click on the steering wheel.
Old 01-31-17, 01:16 PM
samvitbhar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by t4tran
DVD in motion comes with beatsonic setup. You can turn the motion off or no with a few simple click on the steering wheel.
Can you please elaborate on this? Can we do DVD in motion without beatsonic or opening up the radio?
Old 01-31-17, 03:24 PM
t4tran
Rookie

Originally Posted by samvitbhar
Can you please elaborate on this? Can we do DVD in motion without beatsonic or opening up the radio?
You have to open up the unit to do DVD in motion.
You will need Beatsonic unit to have DVD in motion. You can do the DVD in Motion only or with iPhone mirroring.

When I bought the RX the first thing I bought was DVD in Motion override...another 3 months later I added on the iphone mirroring option when I saw it was made for our car.

When I contact Beatsonic (Vendor here on our forum) Eric told me the iPhone mirroring package comes with DVD in Motion, but since I already had it they just gave me a discount and remove that extra harness.

It's really NOT that hard to remove the unit. I took it apart two times without any trouble.
Old 04-01-17, 03:54 PM
swzeng
Driver School Candidate

Default Apple carplay?

Hi all,

I am sure this topic came up multiple times....I just got a 2017 RX 350 AWD without Nav. So its the 8 inch screen. I am wondering if there is anything out there that I can get to do phone mirror to the 8 inch screen. I dont want a aftermarket radaio or screen, I want to be able to use the Lexus control like bluetooth ect..Thanks for any advice...
Old 04-12-17, 02:55 PM
ifanchu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, so I just got the kit (IF-04EP) which has both in-motion bypass and phone mirroring (both iPhone and Android, I am going for iPhone though).
Will have it installed professionally in a couple of days and see how it works.
Old 04-19-17, 11:34 PM
16RXSD
Rookie

Originally Posted by ifanchu
ok, so I just got the kit (IF-04EP) which has both in-motion bypass and phone mirroring (both iPhone and Android, I am going for iPhone though).
Will have it installed professionally in a couple of days and see how it works.
Cool waiting for update...
Old 05-04-17, 09:05 AM
darylcf108
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I happen to like the remote touch a whole lot. Just to have a mouse in your car controlling your Navigation is a BIG DEAL in car news. So why trip? Are people not use to using a mouse yet? Computers been around for how many years???

Last edited by kitlz; 05-04-17 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Snarky remark
Old 05-04-17, 10:14 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I find the remote touch works well too. BeatSonic really needs to make this CarPlay thing!
Old 05-04-17, 08:31 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by darylcf108
I happen to like the remote touch a whole lot. Just to have a mouse in your car controlling your Navigation is a BIG DEAL in car news. So why trip? Are people not use to using a mouse yet? Computers been around for how many years???
I would like my remote touch if it actually stopped jumping over to the next button or not moving at first and then moving too much with significant delay. I have tried the different sensitivity settings and they do not make much of a difference. It's like using a 1990's Dell trackpad after you have used a 2016 Mac trackpad.
Old 09-01-17, 08:47 AM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Has anyone installed this Android/iOS mirroring kit?

I've scheduled to have it installed next week.

Old 09-01-17, 09:01 AM
PandaRXprs
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by elimmigran
I've scheduled to have it installed next week.

https://youtu.be/qnnDzToAvSs
Bro good idea. Let us know how it goes. Just wanted to give you my two cents, make sure they ground it very well and use shielded RCA's. While they install, check to see if there is reduced noise and if you could get a better ground by screwing it into a sanded portion of the chassis or directly to the harness. Having that many connections tend to increase loop noise. It super easy for installers to "mickey mouse" the job and just splice wires together by splitting the outer sheath on cables and "splicing" them with electrical tape; specially on the grounding cable. Given I have no idea who is installing it so just wanted to put in my .02

Happy modding!
The following users liked this post:
elimmigran (09-01-17)

Quick Reply: Beat-sonic CarPlay solution