RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-22, 03:23 PM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by condor11
TSB is just a document for the dealer on how to fix a specific problem. A troubleshooting guide of sort.
It has nothing to do with Warranty. If you are out of Warranty they can do work based on TSB but will charge you, as usual.

Don't confuse TSB with Recall. The latter is done for free but is usually safety related.
what about if you are under the Lexus platinum extended warranty?
Old 09-13-22, 07:42 AM
alan2955
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default New 22 F Sport owner. A couple of issues

I bought a new nebula gray F sport with red interior two weeks ago. Nice car overall, but I’m not very pleased with the engine drone and vibrations around 1500 RPM that you feel in the steering wheel and pedals. Unfortunately that’s the RPM the car runs at around 60 mph. I know Toyota has had fits with exhaust drone on the Highlander and RX for numerous years, and apparently they haven’t totally solved it yet. I traded in a 2021 Highlander platinum and there wasn’t near as much engine vibration as this thing has. there’s also an annoying popping noise and feeling in the seat back when you accelerate or turn etc. i’m less concerned about them being able to fix that that I am the engine vibrations. The car definitely rides better and is overall quieter than the Highlander. I had a 2017 Highlander though with the dreaded exhaust drone and they never did fix it properly, and I fear I’m stuck with a similar situation yet again. One would think that Toyota would have this sorted out by now.
Old 09-13-22, 10:37 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 117 Posts

Two things i did to help with the drone with my 2021 RX 350 F .First i never drive in eco mode and second i got rid of that sound resonator and installed the cap the regular RX comes with.Its been very quiet since.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 09-13-22 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-13-22, 10:47 AM
alan2955
Driver

[QUOTE=jimbosr1;11361438]Two things i did to help with the drone with my 2021 RX 350 F .First i never drive in eco mode and second i got rid of that sound resonator and installed the cap the regular RX comes with.Its been very quiet since.[/QUOTE

I read the thread about the resonator, but it looks like mine just has the regular version that’s rectangular in shape versus the round one that is supposed to make noise. Did you just totally eliminate the resonator and cap It?
Old 09-13-22, 12:29 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 117 Posts

Do you have the F sport handling package? If you don't you will not have the sound resonator and have the same cap i have on my car now.
​​​​​​https://pressroom.lexus.com/whats-ne...-350-and-450h/

Last edited by jimbosr1; 09-13-22 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-13-22, 02:05 PM
alan2955
Driver

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
Do you have the F sport handling package? If you don't you will not have the sound resonator and have the same cap i have on my car now.
​​​​​​https://pressroom.lexus.com/whats-ne...-350-and-450h/
No I just have the F sport appearance package and it has the resonator that’s supposed to be quieter. It’s not that it’s really terrible but not as quiet as you would expect a luxury car to be. I’ll probably just have to get used to it lol
Old 09-16-22, 05:47 PM
Mosesali
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was this resolved, I have same issue with my RX350 2022 which has 4 miles on it

Originally Posted by happychris
TODAY, I just picked up my 2022 RX 350 and while I was driving it, I noticed that when I am in stop and go traffic, there is a loud engine/car noise and eventually it goes away. I have narrowed it down when I am accelerating/putting my foot on the gas at certain speeds, the engine noise gets louder and then stops once I get to a cruising speed around 30mph or so. I had gone on a test drive a few weeks ago and do not recall if I heard this before. I came from a BMW as of this morning when I traded it in so this could be me comparing which I should not do...How does your RX 350 sound when you are driving stop and go traffic??
Was this resolved, I have same issue with my RX350 2022 which has 4 miles on it?
Thanks

Old 09-20-22, 08:04 PM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Is this an F-Sport?
Old 09-26-22, 07:56 PM
alan2955
Driver

Default No vibration damper on 2022 exhaust

I’m continuing to be irritated by the obnoxious exhaust drone around 1500 RPM. Which unfortunately is exactly the speed the engine is running when you’re going a very common 60 mph on a two-lane highway. I looked under the car today, and there is no vibration damper like they issued to correct the issue on earlier model years of this body style. So the question is why did Lexus go back to building the exhaust system without the vibration damper that was issued to correct a frequent customer concern? Seems like the pursuit of perfection isn’t going so well these days. I just can’t wait to hear what nonsense the dealer has to say about all this. It really ruins my enjoyment of the car.
Once you notice something like this, of course then you have a hard time ignoring it going forward. And I noticed that the first day I drove the car on the way home from the dealer.
Old 09-28-22, 10:24 AM
condor11
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alan2955
I’m continuing to be irritated by the obnoxious exhaust drone around 1500 RPM. Which unfortunately is exactly the speed the engine is running when you’re going a very common 60 mph on a two-lane highway. I looked under the car today, and there is no vibration damper like they issued to correct the issue on earlier model years of this body style. So the question is why did Lexus go back to building the exhaust system without the vibration damper that was issued to correct a frequent customer concern? Seems like the pursuit of perfection isn’t going so well these days. I just can’t wait to hear what nonsense the dealer has to say about all this. It really ruins my enjoyment of the car.
Once you notice something like this, of course then you have a hard time ignoring it going forward. And I noticed that the first day I drove the car on the way home from the dealer.
The only plausible explanation I can think of is that adding the weight in the place where it is added on the revised part of exhaust (behind cat converter) does not help.
When I installed the weight there - it didn't. Only when I moved it forward, in front of converter did it help. But do to that would be way more work for them, so they just left it as is.
Old 09-28-22, 05:38 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,152 Likes on 1,315 Posts

I have posted the request below twice earlier in this thread that I'll remind folks of:
Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Folks, a moderator has pruned and/or edited some off-topic and rude replies and that seems to be a recurring concern in this thread, so I'm going to help with a couple simple requests:
  1. If you've already posted your opinion or experience here (either my RX is great or my RX has an issue) there isn't a need to keep reposting the same thing unless there is some new development or change. That serves simply to bump the thread with no new detail for members, sends out email notifications to hundreds of people, etc. New members coming into the thread can read your perspective and detail from past posts.
  2. If you're going to post a rude personal comment about another member, make accusations about their intent, etc. you will be asked to exit this thread permanently. There is no need for that on our community.
By all means share your experience and work together to resolve what seems to be an issue for some members, and I hope to see a more productive, less repetitive, conflict-free thread moving forward.

Please don't reply to this post and take this thread off topic further - if you want to discuss, please PM me or a moderator.
If you've posted your perspective 100+ times in this thread and it hasn't changed and there is no new information, asking again to please stop beating that horse. Couple of recent posts that fit that description have been deleted.
Old 10-07-22, 08:21 PM
alan2955
Driver

Originally Posted by condor11
The only plausible explanation I can think of is that adding the weight in the place where it is added on the revised part of exhaust (behind cat converter) does not help.
When I installed the weight there - it didn't. Only when I moved it forward, in front of converter did it help. But do to that would be way more work for them, so they just left it as is.
  • Well I took my 2022 RX to the dealer complaining about the droning noise, and they contacted Lexus and were instructed to replace the exhaust parts with the parts with the weight attached to it. Did absolutely no good. The car still sounds and feels terrible around 1600 RPM. I am about the end of my rope. I have owned probably 20 vehicles with V6 engines and never dealt with noises and vibrations like this Lexus puts out. I also test drove a new RX 350 off their lot last Friday, and it did not drone or vibrate like mine does. Mind you I am a previous owner of two Highlanders with the same powertrain, and they did not have this problem. Even four-cylinder vehicles I have owned did not have this issue. I just sent the service writer an email expressing my dissatisfaction, and saying either Lexus needs to fix this car, or they can buy it back. I should not have to take a bath on this because they cannot make a consistent quality vehicle. Why do some have vibration problems and others don’t ? Overall I like the car, but this noise and vibration thing is ridiculous. Especially unbelievable given they’ve been making this for seven model years and had complaints since the beginning about this issue! Going to be interesting to see where we go from here. Anybody have any advice how to handle this with Lexus?

Last edited by alan2955; 10-07-22 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-07-22, 11:41 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by alan2955
  • Well I took my 2022 RX to the dealer complaining about the droning noise, and they contacted Lexus and were instructed to replace the exhaust parts with the parts with the weight attached to it. Did absolutely no good. The car still sounds and feels terrible around 1600 RPM. I am about the end of my rope. I have owned probably 20 vehicles with V6 engines and never dealt with noises and vibrations like this Lexus puts out. I also test drove a new RX 350 off their lot last Friday, and it did not drone or vibrate like mine does. Mind you I am a previous owner of two Highlanders with the same powertrain, and they did not have this problem. Even four-cylinder vehicles I have owned did not have this issue. I just sent the service writer an email expressing my dissatisfaction, and saying either Lexus needs to fix this car, or they can buy it back. I should not have to take a bath on this because they cannot make a consistent quality vehicle. Why do some have vibration problems and others don’t ? Overall I like the car, but this noise and vibration thing is ridiculous. Especially unbelievable given they’ve been making this for seven model years and had complaints since the beginning about this issue! Going to be interesting to see where we go from here. Anybody have any advice how to handle this with Lexus?
Well for a start I would go to your dealer, talk to the Service Manager ONLY and take him out in the car to show him the issue AND compared to another one that (hopefully) is okay. Yes this issue has gone on for far too long, it's a design problem that Lexus fiddled with and seems to work for most but obviously they haven't wanted to spend the money for a proper fix. I believe it's due to the exhaust being bolted to the engine, vibrations are transferred through the exhaust into the cabin. Mine was very subtle and I attached a damper in front of the catalytic converter which has made a tremendous difference but mine is a Japanese built model. The thing is because some people don't notice, others only have a minor issue and only some have a major issue I guess Lexus have let it slide. Hope you get a good outcome because apart from that the car is a great buy.
Old 10-09-22, 07:14 PM
alan2955
Driver

Originally Posted by Mosesali
Was this resolved, I have same issue with my RX350 2022 which has 4 miles on it?
Thanks
i’m having the same problem with my 2022. Very annoying exhaust drone especially around 1600 RPM, plus it makes the steering wheel and pedals vibrate quite noticeably as well. The dealer followed Lexus instructions and put on a new exhaust with the weight on it, and it did nothing to improve the situation. I’ve had the same engine and transmission in three Highlanders and never had this issue. I can’t believe Lexus has dropped the ball so badly on this. They’re going to get tired of hearing from me because they’re either going to fix it or I’m going to sue them to make them buy it back. I’m not taking a $10,000 bath because they can’t make a car right. This is utterly ridiculous. They aren’t all this way either because I drove another brand new one on the dealers lot and it did not have this issue, and felt just like my Highlander did. So there has to be a cure for this on my car as well.

Last edited by alan2955; 10-09-22 at 07:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (10-10-22)
Old 10-10-22, 04:07 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 681 Likes on 399 Posts

Try a tank of 91 octane fuel.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration