RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Help Me Choose between 3 please

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-19, 01:25 PM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Help Me Choose between 3 please

All RX350s w/comfort and premium w/NAV
$24,500 out the door

#1 - 2013 w/68k miles. Certified. FWD Every service from Day 1 performed at Lexus dealership.
Seller: Lexus dealer where originally purchased. 4 hours away
[love the complete service records]

#2 - 2015 w/62k miles. Not certified. FWD
Seller: Luxury used car dealer
[advantages is 2 years newer and local seller - I'm assuming we can get them down from 25.5 to 24.5]

#3 - 2013 w/48k miles. Not Certified. AWD
Seller: Lexus dealer 1 hour away
[advantages AWD and 20k fewer miles]

I have a strong preference but DW isn't sure.
Thank you,
Old 06-04-19, 02:06 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

The 2015 if they will come down to your price. Depends if FWD vs AWD makes a difference to you. This vehicle in AWD actually runs in FWD 95% of the time until it senses slippage.

The second choice would be the lower mileage 2013.

Also, any of these should have the transmission fluid changed. It should be done by a dealer as they have the equipment to do the complicated level adjustment. Some dealers will do it (either Lexus or Toyota, all is the same) or some will say never touch the transmission, which is just wrong if you plan to keep it over 100,000 miles.
Old 06-04-19, 02:12 PM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
The 2015 if they will come down to your price. Depends if FWD vs AWD makes a difference to you. This vehicle in AWD actually runs in FWD 95% of the time until it senses slippage.

The second choice would be the lower mileage 2013.

Also, any of these should have the transmission fluid changed. It should be done by a dealer as they have the equipment to do the complicated level adjustment. Some dealers will do it (either Lexus or Toyota, all is the same) or some will say never touch the transmission, which is just wrong if you plan to keep it over 100,000 miles.
Thanks.
You don't think that the certification adds value? We haven't found any CPO vehicles for less than $27 before fees and tax.
I assumed that the 22k miles were more important than 2 years.

I plan to keep it for a lot more than 100k miles. Is transmission fluid an expensive service?
Old 06-04-19, 02:56 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I think any of them would be fine. I would decide if AWD is something you want. From there, I'd just go by color/trim, and condition.
Old 06-05-19, 03:55 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm always cautious of a Lexus that has low miles that the dealer didn't certify. Is there an issue where it wouldn't pass certification?
Old 06-05-19, 04:29 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 305 Posts

My experience with multiple vehicle manufacturers has been that "certified" is more of a marketing ploy to drive the asking price up than anything else. Being able to get your hands on a vehicle's complete service history is the most valuable part of the equation, "certified" or not. In my geographic area I have always been able to find better-quality RXs at better prices at a well-respected local independent dealership than any CPO RX for sale at our local Lexus dealership. That has proven to be the case three different times during the past fifteen years for a 2000 RX300, a 2004 RX330, and my wife's current 2015 RX350.
Old 06-05-19, 04:46 AM
Clutchless

The transmission fluid change is under $300 and think of it as insurance.

I changed my mind as historically looking for my own vehicles I have valued lower mileage over years. However the above poster has a point about why is this lower mileage vehicle not certified if it is at a Lexus dealer. What bad things are there in its history?

What does the CarFax and AutoCheck report say about each vehicle?

Check each vehicle service history by entering the VIN at https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/

You need to register for free, then enter the VIN as if you owned it and the history of dealer services and repairs will be available to review.

I think certified is overvalued. Maintenance is the most important thing on a used car, along with accident history and overall condition.

I got mine used at a Cadillac dealer for a lot less than a Lexus dealer would charge.
Old 06-05-19, 08:57 AM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Look over the accident and service history of each and drive and compare all 3. Don't just blindly put your faith in the Lexus brand and assume these cars will be perfect. Each will drive different and have different problems. Pick the one that appears to have been taken care of the best.
Pay attention to the shifting when going from gas to brake, rattles, suspension noises, tires, wheel pull, and compare the ride and road noise of each. They'll likely be different.
When you go to drive them, tell the salesperson you are looking at other ones and when ask what is the best price they can give you, so you can evaluate when making your final decision. Don't let them rush you. This is a big decision. Don't let them make u feel like it isn't and that you should just buy it now. If it's gone by the time u decide, there are plenty more.
Old 06-05-19, 10:05 AM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RX in NC
My experience with multiple vehicle manufacturers has been that "certified" is more of a marketing ploy to drive the asking price up...
Have to agree with this. Every car dealer I know will inspect every car before they decide to sell it, so "certified" is more of just adding on the price of an extended warranty.

As for the OP's choices, for me AWD is a must have, after that I tend to look for a complete service history.
Old 06-05-19, 04:19 PM
Notgrownup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 15 with 50k on it.. I didn’t flinch at no CPO...
Old 06-05-19, 05:31 PM
ronmaiden
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless the 2015 has some options you can't live without that the '13 doesn't have or are equally equipped I'd go with lowest miles.
Old 06-05-19, 07:42 PM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Clutchless

Check each vehicle service history by entering the VIN at https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/

You need to register for free, then enter the VIN as if you owned it and the history of dealer services and repairs will be available to review.
I’ve gone to this site but all I find are specs. Is there a tab that I’m missing that reveals services and repairs?
Old 06-05-19, 09:10 PM
byadg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

***byadg and dmaxdmax are the same guy. Not sure how that happened. Sorry***

#2 - out of the running - guy was kind of a d|@<

#3 - sold to someone else! The nerve of some people.

New entries:

#4 - 2011 w/98k miles. $16.2 OTD. FWD - Immaculate service records from 2 owners - no damage
seller: Ford dealer
[perhaps a good budget alternative. Save $9,000 in exchange for 30k miles]

#5 - 2015 w/69k miles. $24.4 OTD - AWD - Immaculate service records all at Lexus - 20yr/200k mile warranty (Nationwide Warranty Services)
seller: Chevy Dealer
[as compared to #1 I lose certification but gain AWD]

Last edited by byadg; 06-05-19 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Name confusion
Old 06-05-19, 09:58 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Even though the milage are less, the date of service may prevent extended warranty. CPO is slightly more than the extended warranty [includes getting the vehicle to a published standard and few prepaid services] but essentially it is an extended warranty [premium is passed to the buyer]. Once the base warranty expires, the extended warranty can not be purchased.

OP the model may be the same, but there are differences [Blind spot monitoring, folding side mirrors, rear camera guide lines etc]. Make sure you get the ones that are important to you.

Salim
Old 06-06-19, 08:46 AM
Clutchless

When you join and sign in, add a vehicle then enter the VIN and then the page to show service history should appear.

Quick Reply: Help Me Choose between 3 please