RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Cold are intakes, are there any?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-19, 09:20 PM
LS1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cold are intakes, are there any?

Just curious Ive been searching for one, Would like to add some more deeper tone to it while I cruise around to my 2015 F sport. If there are any I would absolutely love to hear about them lol.
Old 04-17-19, 07:47 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

Maybe, try some Google searches as many other Lexus vehicles use this engine and some of them have aftermarket cold air intakes. Whether they fit the RX is another story.....I bet K&N makes something but all I found were their replacement panel filter which requires periodic re-oiling and is not worth the effort for the loss of engine protection over paper air filters.
Old 04-17-19, 07:55 AM
LS1
Driver

Right Ive seen all those. Those are just pointless. Im sure I could retro fit a intake from a IS or GS since there all the same 3.5 lol. But I would like to see if there is one made for this car first.
Old 04-17-19, 12:49 PM
Clutchless

Nobody makes performance mods for the RX350. That is not what the car is about. It is about quiet, plush isolation from the road.
Old 04-17-19, 02:21 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

The air intake is not really about the engine, it is about the under hood/inner fender shapes.
Also important is the IS and GS 350's are longitudinal axis designs while the RX is transverse.

Those of us of a certain age remember when you could stop a block from home in Dad's 383 Dodge
Polara and flip the air cleaner top cover upside down...worked quite well until the time I returned it without
restoring it. Say there sonny, did you blow up my car last night?
Old 04-17-19, 03:00 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 102 Likes on 69 Posts

As a previous owner of a handful of LSx equipped cars ( 99 WS6 ; 03 Z06, and 06 LS2 GTO ) and now a 2015 F-Sport RX, I sympathize with what you're trying to achieve. Unfortunately, there is hardly (if any) performance / suspension / appearance aftermarket support for this vehicle. The IS ( and possibly the GS, not sure ) is more performance focused, while the RX's target market is more... laid back

And yeah, K&N is just fluff..
Old 04-18-19, 06:32 AM
LS1
Driver

Originally Posted by m5rahul
As a previous owner of a handful of LSx equipped cars ( 99 WS6 ; 03 Z06, and 06 LS2 GTO ) and now a 2015 F-Sport RX, I sympathize with what you're trying to achieve. Unfortunately, there is hardly (if any) performance / suspension / appearance aftermarket support for this vehicle. The IS ( and possibly the GS, not sure ) is more performance focused, while the RX's target market is more... laid back

And yeah, K&N is just fluff..
Sounds like some nice cars you had there. I still have a 99 Camaro SS with quite a few modifications tucked away in the home shop. Ive built a few GM cars over the years.

With that being said, I definitely didn't buy a Lexus RX to modify. This is not my first RX either I really like what this line of SUV's offers. The only thing Im planning on doing to this car is very dark tints lol. The intake idea was just to add some more enthusiasm when running my day to day commute / errands. I was just under the assumption there had to be some type of air intake system since its such a basic almost meaningless mod. With only gains being sound for the most part. Thank everyone for the input
The following users liked this post:
m5rahul (04-19-19)
Old 04-18-19, 07:30 PM
ronmaiden
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe not really performance mods but do they sell slightly stiffer coils/shocks to get rid of the floaty feeling you get on the hwy from time to time?

I plan on replacing my muffler with one that has a deeper tone and a few appearance mods like blacking out the emblems and the chrome around the grill and then adding black matte vinyl over the hood to match the lines from the grill to the windshield to add some chip protection on the leading edge of the hood. Also will tint the front windows and darken the tint on the sunroof and then get some black aftermarket wheels.

I need to personalize the vehicle a little since RXs are everywhere here in Colorado and they all look the same.
Old 04-19-19, 07:37 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Loved an all White Dodge Caravan that had been modded with White & Polished lip rims that
sported a logo of a Soccer Ball inside the International "No" circle...Not a Soccer Mom-mobile!
Old 04-19-19, 07:54 AM
Clutchless

ronmaiden, your best bet is the F-Sport struts and shocks, as the springs are the same on all models. You should drive one first as they are apparently quite a bit stiffer and some folks with the F-Sport have replaced the rear shocks with the regular ones. Another option are the Sachs struts and shocks some of which are tuned for the sport model. Good Luck.
Old 04-19-19, 10:20 AM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ronmaiden
Maybe not really performance mods but do they sell slightly stiffer coils/shocks to get rid of the floaty feeling you get on the hwy from time to time?

I plan on replacing my muffler with one that has a deeper tone and a few appearance mods like blacking out the emblems and the chrome around the grill and then adding black matte vinyl over the hood to match the lines from the grill to the windshield to add some chip protection on the leading edge of the hood. Also will tint the front windows and darken the tint on the sunroof and then get some black aftermarket wheels.

I need to personalize the vehicle a little since RXs are everywhere here in Colorado and they all look the same.
Oh hello fellow Coloradian lol !

I, for one, cannot wait to swap out my F-Sport struts (rears, mostly) for non-F Sport ones because the ride is harsh for my daily-driving-tastes. I want that cushiony ride, especially for that long commute on I-25!

You're more than welcome to test drive my RX if you want a feel of how these struts are, prior to switching yours out. I'm in Westminster. Mine is a 2015 AWD with about 45K on the odo right now.
Old 04-19-19, 10:27 AM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LS1
Sounds like some nice cars you had there. I still have a 99 Camaro SS with quite a few modifications tucked away in the home shop. Ive built a few GM cars over the years.

With that being said, I definitely didn't buy a Lexus RX to modify. This is not my first RX either I really like what this line of SUV's offers. The only thing Im planning on doing to this car is very dark tints lol. The intake idea was just to add some more enthusiasm when running my day to day commute / errands. I was just under the assumption there had to be some type of air intake system since its such a basic almost meaningless mod. With only gains being sound for the most part. Thank everyone for the input
Yeah, miss those rides for sure! Might pick up an '02 LS1 to tinker with...Used to be really active on LS1Tech as well.

Tints are a must, for me! That's probably my first appearance mod on any ride I buy lol. I'm thinking about getting the front windshield done as well on the RX ( ~ 50% will do )

Do post some pics of yours! I have a black exterior with, IIRC, a cognac interior.

Pics : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post10288148
Old 04-19-19, 08:58 PM
ronmaiden
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh hello fellow Coloradian lol !

I, for one, cannot wait to swap out my F-Sport struts (rears, mostly) for non-F Sport ones because the ride is harsh for my daily-driving-tastes. I want that cushiony ride, especially for that long commute on I-25!

You're more than welcome to test drive my RX if you want a feel of how these struts are, prior to switching yours out. I'm in Westminster. Mine is a 2015 AWD with about 45K on the odo right now.
Hmmm,I might take you up on that. maybe this summer we could hook up for lunch and talk shop. I don't mind stiffer since my other rides aren't exactly on the soft side anyway. I'd just like a little less body roll in the corners but stiffer might not work so well in the Lexus plus I have to consider what my wife wants since she likes the RX as is.
Old 04-20-19, 01:29 PM
LS1
Driver

Yeah, miss those rides for sure! Might pick up an '02 LS1 to tinker with...Used to be really active on LS1Tech as well.

Tints are a must, for me! That's probably my first appearance mod on any ride I buy lol. I'm thinking about getting the front windshield done as well on the RX ( ~ 50% will do )

Do post some pics of yours! I have a black exterior with, IIRC, a cognac interior.

Pics : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post10288148
Its been nothing but rain over here by me. And the garage is taken by my Camaro lol so the Lexus is filthy. When it clears up ill get pics of it.

Its Statfire Pearl with red leather.I believe the actual name for the color is Cabernet?
Old 04-28-19, 08:42 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I, along with a handful of people on the Toyota nation highlander form, removed The carbon mesh filter immediately downstream of the paper engine air filter. To me, this is a point of potential restriction and by removing it I think I feel better throttle response and better shifting. No change in sound however. Of course YMMV. It was an experiment to try since I had time on my hands that particular day and I am way out of warranty.

Quick Reply: Cold are intakes, are there any?