RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Vibration after winter tire installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-18, 12:44 PM
PanPLNY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration after winter tire installation

hello, i have lexus rx350 2010, i had buy winter tires 225/65 r18 ( dunlop sj6) and had put them on rims 18x8 ( can send some pictures). Problem is now at car get vibrations over 40mph. Winter tires are brand new, 3 years old but new... I think about change rims for 18x7 or 18x7.5. Have someone try that before? On 19" stock rims had no problems... Best regards Robert
Old 12-03-18, 02:45 PM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,200 Likes on 1,026 Posts

More likely you have a bad balance job by the tire installer or a defective tire. I would have the place that mounted and balanced them for you inspect them for out of round, out of balance and other defects. It is more likely a tire issue than a wheel issue as that would certainly have shown up on the tire balance machine.
Old 12-03-18, 11:40 PM
PanPLNY
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
More likely you have a bad balance job by the tire installer or a defective tire. I would have the place that mounted and balanced them for you inspect them for out of round, out of balance and other defects. It is more likely a tire issue than a wheel issue as that would certainly have shown up on the tire balance machine.
Hej I was in workshop when they had mounted them on rims. They looks fine, i think about buy other rims 18x7.5 but i don't know they will help with this... This cost also money... Maybe someone had try rims 18x7? Otherwise i have to return this tires ... Sorry for my bad english Best regards Robert

Old 12-04-18, 07:01 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

The Lexus requires hub centric wheels/rims. If those are aftermarket wheels/rims that are not hub centric (meaning the center hole of the wheel is an exact fit for the center flange on the car hub) then the wheels will not be centered on the car and will have vibrations. You cannot just bolt on any wheel that does not fit exactly on the hub.
ARE YOUR NEW WHEELS HUB CENTRIC OR DO YOU HAVE HUB ADAPTORS TO MAKE THEM FIT? What brand wheels are they? Are they new? Used?
DID THEY BALANCE THEM PROPERLY?
ANOTHER SET OF CHEAP CRAP WHEELS WILL NOT HELP. THE TIRE SHOP CAN SPIN THESE WHEELS ON THE BALANCE MACHINE WITHOUT THE TIRES (OR WITH THEM) AND TELL IF THE WHEELS ARE BENT.
orry for shouting but it appears you did not understand my initial response as you continue to talk about getting new wheels without exploring the current problem further.
The following users liked this post:
PanPLNY (12-04-18)
Old 12-04-18, 07:17 AM
PanPLNY
Driver School Candidate

Hello

Of course i have hub centric wheels on ( 60.1). I had bought wheels used but check them first before buying ( they are not bent). I mean about wheels at they are 18x8 and maybe should be 18x7.5 ( its small different but maybe on this tire type will helps)... Car is 101% okay, no troubles before with anything before. I ask about that because maybe someone have experience with winter tires....
Old 12-04-18, 01:11 PM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

18x8 should be fine. I have 19x8 on my car and no problems.
It is more likely you have a defective tire. It only takes one bad tire. Have them re-balance the tires. And check them out carefully for out of round or other internal damage.
I once bought a set of Yokohama tires for my old Lexus ES350 and they had terrible vibrations even after being balanced twice. The tire shop said they were defective and sent them back to Yokohama and exchanged them for Michelin tires. It turned out there were some defective batches of those tires on the market.
Old 12-05-18, 10:48 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 204 Posts

Interesting.
I do not believe, changing wheels will do anything.
Think what a winter tire is.
You have much softer rubber, siped, to make it compress and stick to the road well.
Then, you have hard rubber inserts scattered among the soft rubber lugs. Basically, you are driving on "bumps" so to speak.
I just had set of winter tires installed onto my truck. Right away, they howl at higher speeds. I had none of that with my regular truck tires.
No vibration. Howl. Whoooooooooo. So I said - OK. Winter tires are made to drive on snow and ice. I am not expecting them to drive exactly as all season tires on clear roads. SO I just pay no attention to it.