RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Front Ball joints leaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-18, 11:24 AM
AJAA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Ball joints leaking

80K on my 2012 RX 350 and had an oil change at Toyota. They told me the ball joints are leaking. What’s a fair price and anyone in the Northern VA/DC that someone can recommended.
Old 09-19-18, 12:24 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,101 Likes on 991 Posts

Leaking ball joints ... does not make sense.

You can have play in the ball joint --- wear and they can be replaced ... and you would need alignment.

Suspension shop can examine and show you the play if there is any.

Salim
Old 09-19-18, 01:21 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Maybe there is some damage to the rubber boot which has some grease inside that is leaking out?

The OP may want to test the following in an open parking lot without any traffic or obstructions:

Turn the wheels to extreme left and put in Drive and slowly gaining speed to around 10 mph or so and roll down all windows and turn off radio, AC fan blower, or anything noisy...... And listen for any noise coming from the front of the vehicle. Do the same for turning the wheels to extreme right.....
If there is some clicking, grinding, or abnormal noises, then there is a chance your CV joints needing replacement. And afterwards, you'll also need an alignment. If no noise heard and the car drives fine, then maybe just the rubber boot(s) needed replacing which should be no more than around $150 (parts and labor, if using aftermarket parts).

Prices are much cheaper if you go for aftermarket. If you go with OEM, it will more than likely be much higher.

I would find an independent repair shop who specializes in Toyotas as these uses similar if not the same parts and setup interchangeably between Toyota and Lexus.... Just do a Google search for your area and drive to it and see if there are lots and lots of Toyotas/Lexi in its parking lot and ask around the customers there......

Examples from a third party auto parts store (https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...483/11350098-P ) vs Lexus OEM (there is a discount code on the forum for the Lexus OEM parts store, but I can't recall at the moment. https://www.mylparts.com/auto-parts/...nd-joints-scat )

​​​​​

Originally Posted by salimshah
Leaking ball joints ... does not make sense.

You can have play in the ball joint --- wear and they can be replaced ... and you would need alignment.

Suspension shop can examine and show you the play if there is any.

Salim

Last edited by lexusrus; 09-19-18 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-19-18, 04:55 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 204 Posts

Wow... That's a LONG picture..
Boot got damaged on ball joint and is oozing grease out.
Fortunately, they are bolted to the control arm, so replacement is quick and easy. I can do it in ten minutes... Buy decent ones at local parts store and take them to something like LesSchwab place... Don't go to corner shop...
Old 09-19-18, 06:36 PM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,197 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Go to this shop and ask their opinion, very honest. I have used them for years when I need professional repair. https://www.hrmautomotive.com/

They are in Springfield/Newington not far from the Beltway and I95.
The following users liked this post:
AJAA (05-14-21)
Old 09-19-18, 07:32 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I posted the detailed pricing from both a third party auto parts store and OEM Lexus parts store so one can compare pricing.

If the OP is NOT going to DYI and then I would suggest the OP just let his/her choice of shop handle getting the parts. But ask what exact make/brand of the parts and warranty, if any. This way, if it breaks again within the warranty period, then it's on the shop. Versus if the OP went and got the parts, then it's on the OP if it breaks again in say five days later......you know what I mean? Also if the OP went and got the parts (aftermarket ones I posted with one year warranty, some with "lifetime warranty".......) if it breaks again later within the warranty, then only parts is under warranty, not labor. Versus if OP just let the shop get the parts and do the install......then if it breaks again within the "warranty period", then it is on the shop. Therefore, naturally the shop wants to use quality parts......AND THEY WILL TEND TO PAY ATTENTION WHEN INSTALLING THE PARTS THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR. At least that's the idea....

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Wow... That's a LONG picture..
Boot got damaged on ball joint and is oozing grease out.
Fortunately, they are bolted to the control arm, so replacement is quick and easy. I can do it in ten minutes... Buy decent ones at local parts store and take them to something like LesSchwab place... Don't go to corner shop...