RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

No Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-18, 05:59 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

I am still stuck at "pedal going to the floor"

Now if it was pedal depressed [not to the floor] but still no braking action then there are host of possibilities.

Graned in a panic situation it is hard to tell if the pedal is actually touching the floor.

Salim
Old 07-11-18, 10:55 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
when was the last time the brake fluid had been flushed/replaced?
Maybe not car being 2015.. Probably fluid was boiling? Better check the fluid for sign of that.
Old 07-12-18, 08:39 AM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KingGabe
Hello all,
Just this passed weekend we were in the mountains in my wifes 2015 RX350 AWD I had the 4 wheel lock turned on and going under 20 mph. Within about 15 minutes or less the brake pedal went to the floor and I had to use the e-brake to come to a complete stop.
I checked the fluid level, and for leaks, all was fine. Let it sit for about 20 minutes and then the brakes were working fine again.???
Has anyone else had this happen? The instrument clusters Brake light did come on but that was when it was too late.
Were you on a constant descent and using the brakes to hold 20mph?

If so you may have over heated the brakes, boiling the fluid in the calipers. The gas condensed back into a fluid when the system cooled and thing went back to normal (although you probably want to have the system bleed next time you have the brakes done.) Another thing that is fairly common when this happens is the rotors get warped.

Next time down shift the thing and use the engine to slow the descent.
Old 07-12-18, 08:56 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by N4TECguy
I am not 100% sure, but here's my thought. The RX likely uses 3 open differentials. Open differentials send power to the wheel with LEAST resistance, so if you have a spinning tire, that's the one that gets power. Obviously, this is useless. Lexus (and most CUVs in the industry) use the brakes to create resistance, thus sending power to more useful wheels, the ones that still have traction.

4WD Lock tries to send power to the rear wheels under 25mph. (I think...) there is no mechanism to accomplish this, other than to apply a bit of brakes to the front wheels. Since you were crawling under 25 the whole time, it just kept applying brakes since you kept it locked. This subsequently overheated the brake fluid due to constantly being applied. The brake fluid boiled, and air more than a liquid...hence your pedal going to the floor. The emergency/foot brake does not run off hydraulic pressure (your aformentioned brake fluid), but instead uses a cable mechanism, so it was unaffected by the rest of the system and effectively brought you to a stop. Within 20 minutes, the brake fluid cooled enough to operate as usual.

That's all I can think of. IF this scenario is true, any competent mechanic who inspected your brake fluid and bled the system (which you should DEFINITELY do now) would be able to tell if the fluid overheated.
this seems logical to me.

so, then, there is no center differential on the RX350?
Old 07-12-18, 09:21 AM
KingGabe
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tus
Were you on a constant descent and using the brakes to hold 20mph?

If so you may have over heated the brakes, boiling the fluid in the calipers. The gas condensed back into a fluid when the system cooled and thing went back to normal (although you probably want to have the system bleed next time you have the brakes done.) Another thing that is fairly common when this happens is the rotors get warped.

Next time down shift the thing and use the engine to slow the descent.
No, it was a mostly going up which is why I had put it in 4-lock. and I was in 1st for decent so I wouldn't have to use the brakes much. They had been fine the whole day until I decided to try AWD.
We're taking the car in tomorrow to get it checked.
Brakes looked fine to me but as a precaution I'm planning on replacing rotors, pads, and fluid anyways.
Old 07-12-18, 09:32 AM
KingGabe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
I am still stuck at "pedal going to the floor"

Now if it was pedal depressed [not to the floor] but still no braking action then there are host of possibilities.

Graned in a panic situation it is hard to tell if the pedal is actually touching the floor.

Salim
So the pedal was in the normal position then when pressed to brake there was no resistance thus the pedal went all the way down. Was it touching the floor? IDK but I had it down as far as I could with no brakes being applied. Also it was not a panic situation I was just coming to a stop to look at the scenery.
I did not use the 4 lock after and there were no further issues.
Old 07-12-18, 09:38 AM
KingGabe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by N4TECguy
I am not 100% sure, but here's my thought. The RX likely uses 3 open differentials. Open differentials send power to the wheel with LEAST resistance, so if you have a spinning tire, that's the one that gets power. Obviously, this is useless. Lexus (and most CUVs in the industry) use the brakes to create resistance, thus sending power to more useful wheels, the ones that still have traction.

4WD Lock tries to send power to the rear wheels under 25mph. (I think...) there is no mechanism to accomplish this, other than to apply a bit of brakes to the front wheels. Since you were crawling under 25 the whole time, it just kept applying brakes since you kept it locked. This subsequently overheated the brake fluid due to constantly being applied. The brake fluid boiled, and air more than a liquid...hence your pedal going to the floor. The emergency/foot brake does not run off hydraulic pressure (your aformentioned brake fluid), but instead uses a cable mechanism, so it was unaffected by the rest of the system and effectively brought you to a stop. Within 20 minutes, the brake fluid cooled enough to operate as usual.

That's all I can think of. IF this scenario is true, any competent mechanic who inspected your brake fluid and bled the system (which you should DEFINITELY do now) would be able to tell if the fluid overheated.
This makes sense to me! If that is indeed how the system works I agree that's what most likely happened.
Lexus is going to check for issues tomorrow free of charge, and I'll replace Rotors, pads, and have the fluid flushed as a precaution anyways.
Just ordered some Centric rotors from RockAuto ( I have and love their slotted rotors on my IS350).

Thanks again to all of you!!
Old 07-16-18, 09:42 AM
KingGabe
Driver School Candidate

**UPDATE**

Took the car into Lexus and they were unable to reproduce the problem.
There was however a history code that led them to determine the issue could've been caused by a faulty Brake actuator.
They will replace the actuator F.O.C. and I hope that is indeed the fix.

MellonC00, I know you mentioned this earlier but I don't think I had the same warning lights, although it's possible that they don't all turn on the same?

Thanks all!
Old 07-16-18, 09:49 AM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

**UPDATE**

Took the car into Lexus and they were unable to reproduce the problem.
There was however a history code that led them to determine the issue could've been caused by a faulty Brake actuator.
They will replace the actuator F.O.C. and I hope that is indeed the fix.

MellonC00, I know you mentioned this earlier but I don't think I had the same warning lights, although it's possible that they don't all turn on the same?

Thanks all!
Good to know, thanks for the update. I'm going to say my shade tree diagnosis was way off
Old 07-16-18, 12:38 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

**UPDATE**

Thanks all!
Apparently, this was a rather big issue (when we say "big" it's not like a problem at typical manufacturer. Lexus problems are still way less than others) on the Gen 2 forum. I accidentally ran into the issue when I was researching my own brake issue.