RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Power liftgate motor shot, need some DIY help

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-18, 06:38 AM
konradsa
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power liftgate motor shot, need some DIY help

So it looks like the power lift gate motor on our 2013 RX350 is shot. For a few months, it was working intermittently, but now it completely stopped working. When pushing the close button, it only gives one long beep now and nothing happens. It also doesn't open automatically anymore either, but I can hear the trunk unlocking and relocking, so it’s not like it’s disabled from the glovebox switch.

So I was trying to see if I can pull out the motor and diagnose/order a replacement. Has anybody done this before, is this a DIY job?

I have tried to remove the rear headliner, but not sure if it can be removed without taking out the panels on the C pillar, which I don't know how to remove. I really don't want to rip or break it, so does anybody have any instructions on how to remove the headliner?

Thanks

Last edited by konradsa; 05-19-18 at 03:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Shnewzhere (08-13-20)
Old 05-19-18, 01:17 PM
iginoc
Rookie

I had a similar issue, fixed simply by a reset through the pushbutton located in the left side of the glove box. I believe it's a symptom of the liftgate shocks aging, though.
Old 05-19-18, 02:35 PM
konradsa
Rookie

Originally Posted by iginoc
I had a similar issue, fixed simply by a reset through the pushbutton located in the left side of the glove box. I believe it's a symptom of the liftgate shocks aging, though.
What do you mean by reset? I already disconnected the battery, didn’t change anything.

Don’t think the struts are my issue. I can feel the motor engage a little bit, but it doesn’t move the trunk.

Last edited by konradsa; 05-19-18 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-19-18, 03:25 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

i am currently trying to troubleshoot this issue on my 2010. The trunk door will come withing 4 inches of the bottom when closing then stop , beep twice and reverse. I have to manually help the trunk along. One article i've come across suggested it is a problem with one or both of the sensors on either side of the trunk. Parts 84260G & 84260F . So far, lubricating the struts did not help.

Old 05-19-18, 06:08 PM
konradsa
Rookie

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
i am currently trying to troubleshoot this issue on my 2010. The trunk door will come withing 4 inches of the bottom when closing then stop , beep twice and reverse. I have to manually help the trunk along. One article i've come across suggested it is a problem with one or both of the sensors on either side of the trunk. Parts 84260G & 84260F . So far, lubricating the struts did not help.

Well, I think your problem may be different from mine, since mine doesn't move at all. But I had no clue that there are sensors there, so now I am not even sure anymore if it's really the motor that is bad. Wondering is a failure of these sensors could also cause the symptoms I have. Do you know where these sensors are located and what they do?
Old 05-19-18, 06:35 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by konradsa
Well, I think your problem may be different from mine, since mine doesn't move at all. But I had no clue that there are sensors there, so now I am not even sure anymore if it's really the motor that is bad. Wondering is a failure of these sensors could also cause the symptoms I have. Do you know where these sensors are located and what they do?
They are located left and right of the door as shown in the diagram. They are for "jam protection" as described in page 51 in our owners manual. After attempting to close my trunk door multiple times it didnt want to move at all, apparently it went into manual mode.. according to the owners manual. ..BUT i was able to attempt auto mode again after locking and unlocking the doors and pushing the trunk button inside. The trunk will still not close all the way and will come back up.
The following users liked this post:
konradsa (05-19-18)
Old 05-19-18, 07:07 PM
konradsa
Rookie

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
They are located left and right of the door as shown in the diagram. They are for "jam protection" as described in page 51 in our owners manual. After attempting to close my trunk door multiple times it didnt want to move at all, apparently it went into manual mode.. according to the owners manual. ..BUT i was able to attempt auto mode again after locking and unlocking the doors and pushing the trunk button inside. The trunk will still not close all the way and will come back up.
Wow, I need to give you a big thank you, you are definitely onto something. What I did is kind of pulled the pinch sensors down, away from the door frame, thinking maybe it's somehow accidentally engaged. Afterwards, the door still wouldn't work, like you said it was probably in manual mode. Then I pushed the trunk button under the dashboard for a few seconds, thinking that I may trigger some sort of reset, and lo and behold, all the sudden the door worked again. Very glad I didn't try and take out the motor earlier today. :-)

I greased up the struts too for good measure, maybe I will replace those, that seems to be a pretty cheap and easy thing to do and they may play a role in my issue somehow.
Old 05-20-18, 02:04 AM
iginoc
Rookie

Originally Posted by konradsa

What do you mean by reset? I already disconnected the battery, didn’t change anything.

Don’t think the struts are my issue. I can feel the motor engage a little bit, but it doesn’t move the trunk.
I mean cycling this pushbutton, for me it worked resetting the liftgate, however from the force I need to apply to lift the backdoor manually, am aware that struts are at end of life

From the user manual
Old 02-05-21, 05:33 AM
Shnewzhere
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb

Here's a video of me replacing my liftgate actuator in my 2013 Lexus RX350.

Old 02-05-21, 09:57 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 391 Likes on 310 Posts

Well done....
Old 02-08-21, 04:28 AM
konradsa
Rookie

Originally Posted by Shnewzhere
Here's a video of me replacing my liftgate actuator in my 2013 Lexus RX350.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TirM...YOf4Rjp4AaABAg

This is awesome, thank you. Since ours also works intermittently, I was assuming there must be some sort of control board somewhere that has gone bad and and the itself motor is okay, but maybe there isn’t and they are both one unit. We have just learned to live with it for now, opening and closing the trunk manually. But would be good to get this fixed one day.

Where did you get the motor from and what was the cost? And can you report back after a bit whether any issues have returned? Thanks
Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM
Kirill1012
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 rx350 lift gate motor repair

I took the motor apart, cleaned commutator with 4000 sand paper and used electric cleaner for brushed. Gently used my compressor to blow away all dust. Worked perfectly.

i QUOTE=konradsa;10202859]
So it looks like the power lift gate motor on our 2013 RX350 is shot. For a few months, it was working intermittently, but now it completely stopped working. When pushing the close button, it only gives one long beep now and nothing happens. It also doesn't open automatically anymore either, but I can hear the trunk unlocking and relocking, so it’s not like it’s disabled from the glovebox switch.

So I was trying to see if I can pull out the motor and diagnose/order a replacement. Has anybody done this before, is this a DIY job?

I have tried to remove the rear headliner, but not sure if it can be removed without taking out the panels on the C pillar, which I don't know how to remove. I really don't want to rip or break it, so does anybody have any instructions on how to remove the headliner?

Thanks
[/QUOTE]

Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM
Shnewzhere
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

It has almost been 4 years and it is still working great. Not a single issue.

Also, that’s awesome that you got your motor to work, good to know that’s an option. Please let us know if the problem comes back in the coming months and hopefully years! Was it really dirty?