RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 RX 350 Aftermarket Car Battery - Reset Computer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-17, 10:08 AM
CodeRed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 RX 350 Aftermarket Car Battery - Reset Computer?

My RX is now 4 years old, I am looking at replacing the car battery as a preventive / maintenance measure.
When I went online to search for battery replacement, I see the description says "COMPUTER MUST BE RESET"

For example, (under fitment notes)
https://www.pepboys.com/product/deta...OHC?quantity=1

Although I have been driving for 10+ years now (not my first car and not the first time buying batteries - have always been a DIY guy), but it's my first Lexus and first car with a factory navigation system.
I did a little research online, there are discussions saying the alternator may under-charge / over-charge the battery and it causes damages;

It really confuses me and pull my leg from making the purchase.
I hope to receive some guideline / info from seasoned/experienced Lexus owners in the forum.

** I assume some would suggest OEM battery, but all of us who drives know we tend not to go OEM for parts and/or services because of the $$ factor unless it's some key components on the vehicle.
** For battery in particular, many aftermarket ones do give higher CCA

Any helpful info is appreciated.

Last edited by CodeRed; 11-08-17 at 10:18 AM. Reason: wrong model on the title
Old 11-08-17, 10:31 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

You can keep all the settings if you hang a small 12V battery in parallel B4 disconnecting the battery. Of course there are many better choices in after market batteries. Any good battery shop will replace the battery for you without losing anything.
The following users liked this post:
CodeRed (11-08-17)
Old 11-08-17, 10:57 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Your climate temp setting will need to be reset and the hatch closed and opened manually once.
I just did it when I hooked up an inverter to it and had the battery disconnected. Really no big deal.
CodeRed (11-08-17)
Old 11-08-17, 10:59 AM
CodeRed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Your climate temp setting will need to be reset and the hatch closed and opened manually once.
I just did it when I hooked up an inverter to it and had the battery disconnected. Really no big deal.
Thanks very much, I have seen resetting procedure videos on YouTube.
Old 11-08-17, 11:00 AM
CodeRed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Htony
You can keep all the settings if you hang a small 12V battery in parallel B4 disconnecting the battery. Of course there are many better choices in after market batteries. Any good battery shop will replace the battery for you without losing anything.
Helpful tips, Thanks very much for the information.
Old 11-08-17, 07:14 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I would call AAA if you are a member. If not, good time to join.

I recently had called AAA to come to me to replace the battery in my LX570. AFTER about 1.5 hours total waiting time and installation AND $133 TOTAL for a 72 month battery (first 36 months free replacement and thereafter prorated).

AAA did the install and all memories are intact and good to go. All good.

Originally Posted by CodeRed
My RX is now 4 years old, I am looking at replacing the car battery as a preventive / maintenance measure.
When I went online to search for battery replacement, I see the description says "COMPUTER MUST BE RESET"

For example, (under fitment notes)
https://www.pepboys.com/product/deta...OHC?quantity=1

Although I have been driving for 10+ years now (not my first car and not the first time buying batteries - have always been a DIY guy), but it's my first Lexus and first car with a factory navigation system.
I did a little research online, there are discussions saying the alternator may under-charge / over-charge the battery and it causes damages;

It really confuses me and pull my leg from making the purchase.
I hope to receive some guideline / info from seasoned/experienced Lexus owners in the forum.

** I assume some would suggest OEM battery, but all of us who drives know we tend not to go OEM for parts and/or services because of the $$ factor unless it's some key components on the vehicle.
** For battery in particular, many aftermarket ones do give higher CCA

Any helpful info is appreciated.
CodeRed (11-13-17)
Old 11-09-17, 08:16 PM
slawless
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I didn't think this applied to the lexus RX we own, but some cars charge the battery differently as it gets older. If you put in a new battery and don't code it properly, the car will charge the battery wrong and the new battery will only last a few months. I thought the lexus was like most cars, you just drop in a new battery. Let me know if I am wrong. I am having the oil changed next week. I will ask the people at the dealer. (if I remember)
CodeRed (11-13-17)
Old 11-13-17, 08:17 AM
CodeRed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I would call AAA if you are a member. If not, good time to join.

I recently had called AAA to come to me to replace the battery in my LX570. AFTER about 1.5 hours total waiting time and installation AND $133 TOTAL for a 72 month battery (first 36 months free replacement and thereafter prorated).

AAA did the install and all memories are intact and good to go. All good.
I eventually got it changed at PepBoys, bought the Bosch AGM battery, they put in some sort of memory saver during installation, all the settings are kept, auto moonroof and windows work as usual.
Old 11-13-17, 08:19 AM
CodeRed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by slawless
If you put in a new battery and don't code it properly, the car will charge the battery wrong and the new battery will only last a few months.
This is exactly what I came across, hence I started this thread to ask the question before making the decision to change the battery.
By now, it's been changed, no coding of any kind was kind as far as I know.
Old 11-13-17, 10:11 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Many years ago (like some 8 years) I got a battery for my prior MB at PepBoys in SoCal as they were the only ones had that particular size in stock. Plus I was going out of town and needed a battery quick and did not want to having to carry a battery booster pack with me FOREVER. This was BEFORE I learned AAA can do batteries.

PepBoys REFUSED to touch my MB (AMG MODEL). Meaning they will sell me the battery, but will not install it for me. Lucky for me, I had a battery booster pack (and mechanically inclined) and was able to install it with their tools all in less than 30 minutes. I found later that the Bosch battery they sold me DID NOT LAST TOO LONG. After about a year, it failed and I got FREE replacement. This happened twice. Then I called AAA and got it all sorted out!!!

Originally Posted by CodeRed
I eventually got it changed at PepBoys, bought the Bosch AGM battery, they put in some sort of memory saver during installation, all the settings are kept, auto moonroof and windows work as usual.
CodeRed (11-22-17)
Old 11-14-17, 05:00 PM
slawless
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Had my 40K service done today at the dealer. I asked them specifically about what needed to be done with a new battery. He said you do not need to code the computer like on a BMW. However the computer will forget certain settings. He mentioned the sunroof and (I think) the seat. He said both were easy to reset.
CodeRed (11-22-17)