RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX 350 swaying

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-17, 10:20 AM
AQZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 RX 350 swaying

My 2010 RX 350 rocks side to side at slow speeds up to 40MPH. This coincides with roads that are rougher than freeways, which is the trigger for the problem. I have owned the car for 4 years, never had a problem. It has about 61K miles on it. Had the front end checked by my mechanic, he thinks its tires. Had the tires checked with a road test machine, they found nothing out of the ordinary. Dreading going to Lexus where I will have to pay a premium for a possibly a simple fix. Is there some sort of computer stabilization that could have gone out?
Old 09-22-17, 10:47 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,195 Likes on 1,021 Posts

See if your rear shocks leaking which is a common problem. Look under the rear bumper at each wheel and there will be a black column which is the shock. If the lower half is darker than the upper half or wet looking, then they have leaked. If unsure ask your mechanic, it takes a minute to check them.

This is a common cause of such swaying as the shock no longer has enough fluid to properly damp out the road. The good news is that OEM replacement shocks are about $40 each online and your local mechanic can install them in an hour. It is an easy job. If you need them, look at www.mylparts.com or www.lexuspartsnow.com Aftermarket shocks cost about twice as much and are limited to KYB, Monroe and recently Sachs.

You need to check your VIN plate in the windshield or in the door to see if you have a Canada built or Japan built car. The VIN will start with J if a Japan car. My 2010 had leaking shocks in 2015.

If not the shocks, I doubt it is any of the electronic control stuff as they mainly help in skids or out of control situations or snow.
The following users liked this post:
vlad_a (09-22-17)
Old 09-22-17, 12:07 PM
Barry2522
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like tires to me .Broken belt inside , I dont know of any way you could test for that . You described it slow speed wobble . How old are the tires ?
Old 09-22-17, 06:23 PM
AQZ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
See if your rear shocks leaking which is a common problem. Look under the rear bumper at each wheel and there will be a black column which is the shock. If the lower half is darker than the upper half or wet looking, then they have leaked. If unsure ask your mechanic, it takes a minute to check them.

This is a common cause of such swaying as the shock no longer has enough fluid to properly damp out the road. The good news is that OEM replacement shocks are about $40 each online and your local mechanic can install them in an hour. It is an easy job. If you need them, look at www.mylparts.com or www.lexuspartsnow.com Aftermarket shocks cost about twice as much and are limited to KYB, Monroe and recently Sachs.

You need to check your VIN plate in the windshield or in the door to see if you have a Canada built or Japan built car. The VIN will start with J if a Japan car. My 2010 had leaking shocks in 2015.

If not the shocks, I doubt it is any of the electronic control stuff as they mainly help in skids or out of control situations or snow.
Thanks Clutchless, good info! I had my mechanic check the shocks along with other suspension suspects. I did a double check today and see no signs of leaking or breakdown.
Old 09-22-17, 06:31 PM
AQZ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Barry2522
Sounds like tires to me .Broken belt inside , I dont know of any way you could test for that . You described it slow speed wobble . How old are the tires ?
Thanks Barry. You aren't the first one to fault the tires. Car had 30K when I bought it. Thought the tires were new on my purchase 4 years ago, but now I'm suspicious. They might have been the originals. Its my wife's car and she drives like a librarian (cuz she is a librarian, actually), so she can make tires last longer than the warranty. Tires are at 5mm, still above the minimum but I think I'll start with a new set. At least if I'm wrong, I'll still have something to show for my expenditure. I read some horror stories about well meaning Lexus mechanics changing out stuff, but being unable to find the culprit. Ca-ching, Ca-ching....
Old 09-23-17, 02:24 PM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

There is a date code on the tires. A little Google research will tell you what you need to determine how old they are. The rubber or tire manufacturers association recommends tire replacement after about 7 years generally, regardless of mileage. However, it all depends.....
Old 09-24-17, 04:22 PM
AQZ
Driver School Candidate

Hey, Clutchless! I thought we were on to something, but the Pirelli tire date is 2313 (May 2013). Rats! But I am now empowered with tire manufacture date solutions for future problems! Starting to wonder since they are only 4 years old if I should try a second mechanic to take a look at the bushings. Probably just cost me time.
Old 09-25-17, 05:55 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Have they checked for a sticking brake caliper? That could cause some low speed issues.

Your tires could still have a bad belt causing your issues. Were they checked on a road force balancer?

When I worked for a group of engineer expert witnesses who were former National Highway Transportation Safety Administration engineers my old boss (former head of the Office of Defects Investigation) used to joke that he never liked Pirelli tires because there was too much linguine in the belts.

Last edited by Clutchless; 09-25-17 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-25-17, 12:38 PM
AQZ
Driver School Candidate

Just had new brakes all around. No effect on the sway issue. Yes, tires checked on road force balancer. If I didn't own Pirelli tires, I would be laughing at the linguine joke! More of a ravioli issue on this one though! Bad belt(s) still seems to be the most likely culprit: Waiting for a bit until I have enough money for 3 more tires.
Old 09-25-17, 03:44 PM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Just because the shocks are not leaking doesn't mean that they're not tired and worn enough to show some issues.

Clutchless... are you seeing, hearing, or expieriencing the aftermarket KYB's, etc demonstrating better performance or life (a compared to the OEM shocks)? In other words, is the extra cost justifiable (in your mind)?
Old 09-26-17, 05:49 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Pete, I do not have the KYB's and no firsthand knowledge of them on a Lexus. I recall another CL member installed them on the back and said the ride was smoother. Overall KYB has a very good reputation for making quality struts/shocks. Unless you want that possible smoother ride I am not sure it it justifies the extra cost given how cheap OEM shocks are and if you install them yourself.
Old 09-26-17, 09:42 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

That was sort of my own thoughts as well, Clutchless. I, too, recall someone having installed the KYB's and were pleased with them, but could not remember if it was you or someone else. I'm running some KYB's on the front of my 2WD F250, and they've held up exceptionally well. amd I have always heard good things about them over the years. We're currently sitting at about 83K on our RXh, and I'm beginning to believe I need to go ahead and replace the rear shocks before we take our 1500 mile November trip up to Virginia and back.
Old 09-28-17, 07:53 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 203 Posts

OK, low speed wobble is OUT OF ROUND TIRE. feels like boat on waves, car goes up-down on one side. It for some reason goes away at higher speeds.
Also, I have no idea what a 'road test machine" they checked them with is.
Be advised that out of round tires are VERY common. Word out is, you can barely find one that is not now. Does not take much to cause this too - hit pothole, rock on the road, curb, even kataphot. That reflective ligh plastic thing in the median. Belt rips inside and there you are.
There are few ways to deal with this.
1. figure which side goes up down. Move that tire to opposite side and end. If wobble moved along, here ya go.
2. Jack side up. Hand spin tire, fast as you can. Take chalk and hold very close to tire center. If chalk marks certain area on the tire and no others - you got your bump.
I had many tires that did this and just replace all four on my HiHy as they literally all had some sort of 1/8 to 1/4 out of round.
Start with simple. tires.
Next will be freezing shock absorber.
Old 09-28-17, 07:56 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 203 Posts

There is a device called On car balancer. It balances wheels without removing them and balance entire end as a whole - tire+rim+rotor.

Old 09-29-17, 05:49 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Here is an explanation of road force tire and wheel balancing http://www.motorweek.org/features/go...orce_balancing
The following users liked this post:
ukrkoz (10-01-17)

Quick Reply: 2010 RX 350 swaying