RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Can Nav be added aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-17, 04:49 PM
phlorida
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
It could be we never gave the answer to the question being asked.
I do think the advices offered have merit, but the OP may have punted on those before reaching out.

Salim
I hear you Salim but it seems to happen way too often.
Old 08-25-17, 06:25 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
It could be we never gave the answer to the question being asked.
I do think the advices offered have merit, but the OP may have punted on those before reaching out.

Salim
it appear she has not been back since she ask the question' ,
Old 09-30-17, 12:08 PM
manley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to add navigation?

Hi folks, first post here so please be gentle. I've searched the forums and didn't see anything on this topic...
I have a 2013 RX 350, and it doesn't have navigation. This is my wife's daily driver, and we recently moved to Texas so she obviously isn't familiar with the roads out here.
Is there some way to swap out the radio and the display screen - and I presume the scrolling wheel as well - to add navigation?
Thanks in advance.
Scott
Old 09-30-17, 12:27 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

For more information, a search would find this recent thread on the same issue https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...termarket.html

I propose you buy a Garmin GPS and mount it on top of the dash. What you propose is not cost effective, you would be better off trading for a car with navigation. However, a Garmin is relatively cheap. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=gps&_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=&sp=&qp=&list=n&af=true&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys Also it is a much better unit than the POS Lexus navigation system.

Last edited by Clutchless; 09-30-17 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-30-17, 12:59 PM
manley
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I guess I’d rather use the phone rather than adding a single-purpose device like a gps.
Old 10-01-17, 07:33 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by manley
Thanks. I guess I’d rather use the phone rather than adding a single-purpose device like a gps.
Excellent idea. My Galaxy Note 4 display is about the size of nav display anyway. Waze is by far superior to Toyota nav s/w and is members upgraded continuously, so you have absolutely the latest roads conditions. Also, my phone fits nicely into the nav screen nook, and, when paired, gives voice commands overhead. So no, nu need to buy anything that is not as up to date on driving conditions, as Waze, for example. I am actually not aware of a better nav app.
Old 12-13-19, 10:38 AM
Enninet
Driver School Candidate

Default How to add nav system and rearview camera to 2010 Lexus RX 350

I bought a non nav version 2010 Lexus RX 350. It has rearview display on rearview mirror, but it is very small and not nice enough. I am wondering if I can buy an aftermarket nav system with backup camera view on display. I know many of fellow members would say to use garmin or iPhone for navigation. But I would appreciate if those who know or have experience can share your knowledge. Thanks a lot.

The easiest thing is to buy an oem nav display first to replace the info center display for less than 200 bucks. But then what?

or is there any brand of auto media receiver with car play that is compatible to this vehicle?

thanks again
Old 12-13-19, 11:04 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

Try https://www.crutchfield.com/
Old 12-13-19, 11:20 AM
Enninet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless

I tried multiple times along with BestBuy which typically offers free installation service. But unfortunately no results coming out once putting car models in.
Old 12-13-19, 11:44 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Enninet

or is there any brand of auto media receiver with car play that is compatible to this vehicle?
Unfortunately no, the audio system/receiver in your Lexus is an integral part of the car, and it will not run without it.
Old 12-13-19, 01:45 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 387 Likes on 306 Posts

Automobile manufacturer navigation systems are expensive, costly to update, and usually obsolete within six months of purchase. Like it or not, you are far better off using your smartphone. We no longer bother purchasing vehicles with nav systems (and save considerable $ by not doing so).
The following users liked this post:
raylor4 (12-19-19)
Old 12-19-19, 06:46 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

We just came back from Amsterdam and Paris. All the taxis we took used mobile phone nav. I never met a factory nav that I liked.
Ray A.
Old 12-20-19, 06:22 PM
Jiffin12
Driver School Candidate

For a Garmin portable unit I like this one:

Garmin - DriveAssist 51 LMT-S 5" GPS with Built-In Camera

Gives you GPS, dash camera, and traffic alerts (lane departure alert, forward collision warning, and other driver alerts). Cost $300 but on sale for $220 at present. Voice commands for navigation. Plug it in and mount on your windshield. It has an optional capability to add a wireless backup rear view camera display on the screen.

Last edited by Jiffin12; 12-20-19 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-23-19, 07:12 AM
JerseyJim
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have one of these units and I can attest to the fact that are much better than the Lexus navigation system.
Old 11-23-21, 08:31 PM
petersup
Driver School Candidate

Default Convert Non-Navigation to OEM Nav 2012 RX

I have a 2012 Non-navigation system RX350. Bought it from an auction. Great car BUT the back up camera is annoying. It’s in the rear view mirror. It’s tiny. Plus the obvious, no navigation. If I was to buy the head unit , and center “mouse” control of one with the navigation option and install it , would it work ? Has anyone tried this before ? I would buy it off eBay or a salvage yard. I just do not like the back up camera in the mirror

Quick Reply: Can Nav be added aftermarket