RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Exhaust heat shield loose and rattling

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-23, 10:43 AM
AGAPyro
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Galvanic corrosion, is what you describe...
Using Aluminium faster would't solve this, the crew would rust at the contact with the steel hanger..

The non metallic isolation is a better solution...

Last edited by AGAPyro; 05-25-23 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-25-23, 10:50 AM
AGAPyro
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Vapor Canister Protector

Originally Posted by salimshah
What exactly do you mean by technical doc? And most important is which heat shield. "Heat shield" is a generic term, and you have to narrow it down to where the shield is located. Technical document is typically published by a manufacturer for the supplier to provide/bid for the item. This document can be specific [particular to a certain heat shed] or even general where each shield must conform to. That document [if it exists] will not be in public domain.

Do you need the part number?

Call the Lexus parts in your area and give then the vin number. You can further help by guiding the discussion to proper assembly "exhaust system" [my best guess] and then work your way from the engine side back. If you are physically present at the sales counter, the parts sales person will flip the screen to you to identify the part you need. My experience is that the fasteners are listed there as well. [You don't start the search from fastener and try to work your way to the part you need].

Salim
I am looking for pretty much this
https://www.lexuspartsoutlet.com/oem...MtNWwtdjYtZ2Fz

I was looking for the heat shield over the muffler for the vapor canister..
Old 05-25-23, 02:10 PM
iftekhar25
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AGAPyro
Galvanic corrosion, is what you describe...
Using Aluminium faster would't solve this, the crew would rust at the contact with the steel hanger..

The non metallic isolation is a better solution...
Galvanic corrosion, nice! Thanks. If I remember my high school chemistry right, that's where Galvanic batteries come from as well, cathodes and anodes of different metals cause a flow of electrons, and therefore oxidation on one end, and reduction on another.

Indeed, if the screw housing isn't also aluminum, it would corrode there. I feel like @Clutchless solved it with epoxy, as did my mechanic. I think that's it.
Old 05-25-23, 02:15 PM
iftekhar25
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AGAPyro
I am looking for pretty much this
https://www.lexuspartsoutlet.com/oem...MtNWwtdjYtZ2Fz

I was looking for the heat shield over the muffler for the vapor canister..
I had my local Lexus do an inspection when I was initially exploring options, and I was hoping the report they gave me had a parts number I could give you. I dug the report up, but I couldn't find any parts number on the quote.

Except, the technician at the dealership called it an "exhaust heat shield" in the report. No parts number I'm afraid, but that might narrow it down a little bit for you when you contact your local dealership.