RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Searching for the Ideal Used RX

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-17, 06:35 PM
drfranklin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Searching for the Ideal Used RX

I have a potential long commute (45+ min one way) with a new position and I'm looking for a luxury "beater".
Looking for a well-cared for, older RX, GX, or LS. For the RX, searching for a '11 or '12 base-only, with AWD. I have no use for the older Nav systems (and don't care about the back-up cam on the larger screen). I live in Upstate SC and will travel to GA/NC for the right deal.
I've found a possible RX in Greensboro: http://www.myautofocus.com/2011_Lexu..._267740651.veh
2 owner, NY car, with the following replaced parts (per Carfax): front window motor(s) replaced at 43K, 4 new tires (Bridgestone)/radiator replaced/thermostat replaced at 60K, rear shocks/rear wheel bearings/hubs replaced at 69K, new key(s) cut at 87K; water pump replaced per dealer recently; asking price is $18,500
Any comments are appreciated - thank you

Last edited by drfranklin; 06-24-17 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-24-17, 10:01 PM
MikeInOr
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am also looking for an RX of about the same age, mileage and price. I found that I can get a 450h for about the same price as a 350. Everything I have read on the 350 and 450h say they are both very solid vehilces. I did like the ride of the 450h a little better than the 350 I test drove but a half hour test drive isn't much to go by. I feel comfortable enough with hybrid technology to give it a try and reap the advantages of signifigantly better mpg! The 450h's seem to be a bit better appointed in their base configuration. HID headlights are a must have for me. I have come to a deal on a private party Silver 2010 AWD RX-450h, 86K miles heated/cooled grey leather seats and black carpeting for $18,600. The deal has been a little slow as the seller can't find the title, so he has to get a replacement title next week before we can complete the deal.

I have been searching on:
Craigslist.com
Cargurus.com
Autotrader.com
Cars.com

I like cargurus.com the best because I can filter out vehicles that have been in accidents instead of having to lookup this information in a carfax.

In my region all these have many of the same vehicles but enough unique vehicles that it is worth the effort to search all of them.

Your potential 350 seems like there has been a lot of work done compared to most I have looked at but I am not familular with NY vehicles that live on salted roads. Other than the repairs (Better they repair everything before you buy it than you repairing them after you buy it) that doesn't sound like an unreasonable deal. I agree with you on the Nav/entertainment system, it is already obsolete. As long as I can take calls via bluetooth and play mp3's I am happy.

I am looking at silver, white, grey cars with black foot wells on the interior as a practical matter in that they will hide dirt better. Are you sure you want a black (hot, shows every bit of dirt) and light grey footwells (also shows dirt)? If that is what you like it is not my place to judge! In my search there seems to be more black RX's available than other colors and they seem to go for lower prices.

I have driven sedans most of my life. I am looking forwards to the crossover suv world with the bit higher seating position and better view of the road. I started my new to me car search looking at Camrys and Avalons but didn't find either of them very comfortable for my long legs. The 450h is much more comfortable vehicle for me. I would have considered a Lexus sedan but I found a vehicle I really like in the 450h and its mpg makes it practicle for my rather short daily commute.

Last edited by MikeInOr; 06-24-17 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-25-17, 07:57 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I too recently opted for a 450H.

The hardest point for me to get over was the traction battery-motor. If only Lexus had a switch to go from hybrid to gas only, the choice would be a no-brainer. It seems we are building enough history to feel comfortable, but the idea that there is an engine (gas) that is capable to do all, but without the electric battery-motor the vehicle is a dead duck, needs a bit of thinking. All hybrid owners are risking it a small bit more .. any bad news about the hybrid side will plummet the value of their vehicle.

Unfortunately there are enough reasons that such a hybrid/gas_only switch is not possible.

So make sure, you give the above a thought.

Salim
Old 06-26-17, 12:52 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
I too recently opted for a 450H.

The hardest point for me to get over was the traction battery-motor. If only Lexus had a switch to go from hybrid to gas only, the choice would be a no-brainer. It seems we are building enough history to feel comfortable, but the idea that there is an engine (gas) that is capable to do all, but without the electric battery-motor the vehicle is a dead duck, needs a bit of thinking. All hybrid owners are risking it a small bit more .. any bad news about the hybrid side will plummet the value of their vehicle.

Unfortunately there are enough reasons that such a hybrid/gas_only switch is not possible.

So make sure, you give the above a thought.

Salim
Salim, you can't get an on/off switch for the RX450h - it is a true hybrid, with fully integrated engine and 2 electric motors up front. That's why there are two - they take place of the transmission.
If it makes you feel any better, Toyota is so confident in the hybrid technology, in certain countries, they sell Lexus vehicles exclusively hybrid configurations.
This works seriously well, especially compared to clunky modern automatics tuned for Eco. 4th gen RX350 is unbearable to drive after owning an RX450h.
Old 06-26-17, 02:30 PM
MikeInOr
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the things that made me feel comfortable about a hybrid was the number of aftermarket vendors that offer rebuilt battery packs for a fraction of the cost of a new replacement pack. With these refurbished packs they replace only the cells in the pack that have gone bad or are performing close the the lower limit of the cells performance envelope. They also offer warranties on these replacement packs. This makes these packs MUCH cheaper than a new pack. I can see spending $1K on a refurbished pack for a vehicle worth $5K... where putting a new $5K pack in a vehicle worth $5K doesn't make sense. As more hybrids grow old the demand and availability of refurbished packs are going to increase while their cost is going to decrease.

In a purely electric vehicle the range and performance are based solely on the condition of the battery pack. Even with plug in hybrids the condition of the battery pack is going to dictate the electric range of the vehicle.

With a conventional hybrid a 100% brand new battery pack or a battery pack at 75% of its original storage capacity is going to have very little influence on the actual fuel economy of the hybrid. The original design of these hybrids are for them to operate with packs that are less than new. So when my battery pack dies I will replace it with a refurb pack... drive it another 5 years... then replace it again. My biggest exposure is if the original cells for the pack stop being produced.

This is my rational for buying a hybrid with 60K+ miles on it... you can decide if this make sense to you.

Last edited by MikeInOr; 06-27-17 at 08:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
vlad_a (06-26-17)
Old 06-27-17, 06:20 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Longevity of Battery pack is not a major issue.

Without gas, the vehicle is practically not usable as it is not an electric vehicle.
The gas engine provides >95% (my estimate) of traction.
The only stand alone function the gas engine can not provide are reverse, start ... non-essential and accessories may be a longer list.

I am already on board, I am just stating what could make the vehicle better.

Salim