RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Exhaust gaskets & front struts

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-17, 02:46 PM
Pistol13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did the job, this was my experience.

Pretty straight forward and you can learn how to do the previous generation / other models so I will not go into details. I will share with you the issues we encountered so that others can avoid.

CV joints are not retained - when you remove the strut be sure to properly retain the spindle. We used string between the spindle and body. If not you will not have fun adding cv grease and re-fitting boot.

We live in a non-salt area but still had rust issues with the tie rod end links. Every single damn one stripped out the 6mm allen head, had to cut one off. Not sure how to do differently other than soaking your end links for several days in penetrant and hoping for the best.

It was pretty easy and straight forward otherwise, but the above hangups turned added several hours to the job.
Old 07-25-17, 11:16 AM
PDF84
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry2522
I just put KYB on my Rx350 they ride so much better than OEM .

Really? Did you replace them all around on the entire vehicle? I need to replace the rear shocks on my 2010 as they are leaking and I'm considering to just going ahead and replacing all 4 since the car has 92k on the odo.
Old 07-25-17, 12:57 PM
paperthin
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Pistol13
Just did the job, this was my experience.

Pretty straight forward and you can learn how to do the previous generation / other models so I will not go into details. I will share with you the issues we encountered so that others can avoid.

CV joints are not retained - when you remove the strut be sure to properly retain the spindle. We used string between the spindle and body. If not you will not have fun adding cv grease and re-fitting boot.

We live in a non-salt area but still had rust issues with the tie rod end links. Every single damn one stripped out the 6mm allen head, had to cut one off. Not sure how to do differently other than soaking your end links for several days in penetrant and hoping for the best.

It was pretty easy and straight forward otherwise, but the above hangups turned added several hours to the job.
Where you able to use a normal spring compressor or did you use a special one like a clamshell compressor?
Old 07-31-17, 07:00 AM
Barry2522
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes I replaced all of them . Well worth the money to me .
Old 08-11-17, 07:10 PM
paperthin
Pit Crew

well.....did the first two today...the rears because I thought they were easier. WOW. All four bolt heads snapped off the bolts (2010 RX450h with 210k kms). This required purchasing four new mount bolts and two nuts as well as two upper brackets. Cut the bolts off the bottom bracket, and just install new upper brackets. Oh and BTW, the week prior I sprayed with with a rust lubricant to penetrate. It was much harder that I thought it was going to be. Used KYB on the back...already noticed a large difference (after four hours on a humid day), Now to plan when to do the fronts, and how to do them.
Old 08-12-17, 07:43 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by paperthin
I took off the tire today.... you are right SteveCraig....it looks vcery straight forward. Anyone have any recommendations for brand to buy for replacements?
Likely was mentioned...

KYB is OEM Toyota shocks absorber supplier.
Best bet is to replace struts with Strut Plus from KYB or Quick Strut from Monroe. They may not be available for all years and models, but they were for my 2007 Camry.
You have, for few bucks more, a COMPLETE strut assembly and then install is a breeze.
I just did front shocks absorbers on my 2012 Highlander Hybrid, which is basically RX clone.
What you want is KYB shock off Amazon. I'd be very uncomfortable recommending anything like this off ebay, known knock off seller. OEM shock is priced at around $400 plus online but SAME KYB shock for front strut is $85 and $130 Amazon. Plus free shipping Prime users.
What you also need - unless Lexus has it somehow different, though I doubt, I saw them yesterday - is sway bar end links. I bought mine from O'Reilley for $26 each. Reason being, you have to disconnect link from shock mount to remove shock. Nut is clearly pinch nut and it took me cheat pipe to undo it, it sits so tight on the stud. That said, in its wisdom, Toyota put a hex provision into the stud center to hold it in place with allen wrench. So it stripped immediately and I was left scratching my head how to undo that nut.
Fortunately, back of stud has metal flange on it that I could clasp tight vise grips on. To hold stud in place while struggling with the nut. What effectively ruined the stud boot.
End links from Toyota, not even Lexus, is $120 each (???) and $26 O'Reiley. They do have Doorman more expensive one but it was not in stock and looked identical to the cheaper one. Thos links have zirks, so you can pack them with grease and re-grease as needed. Studs were sitting in link so tight that I had to take channel locks to it to move them to fit. So be prepared.
That's about it. Shock to knuckle bolts have no provision for camber adjustment, so be prepared, should they be worn out, to install camber bolts instead of the upper bolt, in case alignment after swap is off. At 89000 miles on my Highlander, alignment appears to still be OK after install, but I had to do this for my Camry. Camber bolts are $27 a pair same O'Reiley and are about 20 minutes each install, but they have to be installed properly for your application, either for positive or negative camber (spec is practically zero) and alignment needs to be done on alignment lift and by tech that knows camber bolts. Not like Firestone one that had no clue and they refunded me on Camry. LesSchwab wants $180 before tax for same bolts installed. Just saying.

Here's response from KYB support for Highlander ( I doubt it will be much different for RX)

Everything listed below is available for your application.
Shocks/struts
Front left 339282
Front right 339281
Rear left 339235
Rear right 339234

Mount components
Front SM5637
Rear SM5780
Rear lower SM5469 coil spring insulator

Strut boots
Front SB102
Rear SB104
Biggest pain in this job was undoing sway bar links. And, of course, compressing springs on LARGE strut. I had to remove cowl to get to the front strut mounts, no doubt you have to do same. 20 minutes, as you have to undo wiper arms (mark them!) and then carefully pop plastic clips off cowl.
The following users liked this post:
alisher (08-12-17)
Old 08-13-17, 09:23 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

When I replaced my rear shocks the original ones were made by Tokico. I think my front struts also state Tokico. Tokico is known for firm struts that fail early. I bought OEM replacements online and they also said Tokico.
Did your original struts state KYB. Also, surfing at Rock Auto I see that German OEM supplier SACHS now makes struts and shocks for the RX. I think I may go with them next time.
Old 08-13-17, 04:15 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Well, mine came from highlander, but they indeed say Tociko. That said, it appears that Toyota does both, KYB and Tociko, for their cars. Maybe they changed it for later models, but earlier were KYB and TRD is said to be Billstein.

here you go:

World’s largest supplier of shocks and struts to vehicle manufacturers Supplier to major OEMs including, GM, Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Infiniti, Chrysler, Subaru, Toyota, Lexus, and Volkswagen

Mine came from Japan. That's all I care about.

Ahh, no, no. Tociko is KY US company. It is owned by Hitachi. I'll pass, I like stuff made in Japan.
Old 08-14-17, 10:35 AM
Clutchless

The RX and Highlander take the same part numbers front struts. They differ in the rear as the RX takes shocks and the Highlander struts. My Canada built 2010 is pretty early in the model run and it has Tokico and my 2016 replacement rears were Tokico. Maybe it differs between Canada and Japan built vehicles. I searched Bilstein and did not see any applications for the RX, they said come back and look in the future!
Old 08-25-17, 10:06 AM
paperthin
Pit Crew

I have some additional questions:
  1. Can anyone who has actually replaced on a 3rd gen Lexus RX confirm that an SM5637 is compatible with 3rd gen Lexus RX? All literature that I look up does not include the RX which include the KYB website itself. This is misleading to mention this part number.
  2. Maybe because I am north of the border it seems to be hard to locate a clamshell compressor for a reasonable price. Thus I would like to ask what compressors (model # please) have people successfully used on the 11/16" spring thickness?
  3. Anyone know the part number for the two camber bolts on the bottom front strut? It is not on the lexuspartsdirect website.
I hope nobody tells me to take it in.
Old 08-25-17, 04:05 PM
Clutchless

Often strut companies provide replacement camber bolts with the new struts. Try Lexus South Atlanta parts for the camber bolt numbers.
You could just get or rent a regular spring compressor that looks like 2 long bolts with blocks and safety hooks on them. Otherwise, if you pull the struts, many shops will swap the springs to the new struts for about an hour labor.
Cannot help on the strut mount kit. I would always go OEM for that part as they are more robust.
Also note that at post 21 the KYB rear part numbers listed for Highlander do not apply to the RX. It has struts in back and we have shocks.
Old 08-25-17, 07:35 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Originally Posted by paperthin
I have some additional questions:
  1. Can anyone who has actually replaced on a 3rd gen Lexus RX confirm that an SM5637 is compatible with 3rd gen Lexus RX? All literature that I look up does not include the RX which include the KYB website itself. This is misleading to mention this part number.
  2. Maybe because I am north of the border it seems to be hard to locate a clamshell compressor for a reasonable price. Thus I would like to ask what compressors (model # please) have people successfully used on the 11/16" spring thickness?
  3. Anyone know the part number for the two camber bolts on the bottom front strut? It is not on the lexuspartsdirect website.
I hope nobody tells me to take it in.
$45 ebay.
Amazon Amazon

That's the one I used.

This is 2012 Highlander info:
Everything listed below is available for your application.
Shocks/struts
Front left 339282
Front right 339281
Rear left 339235
Rear right 339234

Far as I know front end is identical.
Btw, they are stiff.
Old 08-25-17, 07:53 PM
paperthin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Thanks. I may look into buying it cross border.

Post #20 shows i already did the rears. I will call lexus locally here and see if i can get the part numbers and if they are stock. They did not come with my kyb struts.I am just gearing up to do the fronts.
Old 08-25-17, 09:03 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Brace yourself up for sway bar links nut.
Old 08-26-17, 06:33 AM
Clutchless

Start soaking it with PB Blaster a few days before trying to loosen it That should be done to all the bolts and nuts. Spray them every day for 3 days.