RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Sunroof Drain and Body Panel Drain?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-17, 08:22 PM
cmeldon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof Drain and Body Panel Drain?

Heavy rains in CA have unleashed a water leak in my 2011 RX 450h somewhere between the sunroof drivers’ side front drain and the body frame drain behind the drivers’ side front wheel well.
No water in the headliner but significant pooling in the drivers side foot well above the carpet, not under it.
Initially there was pooling in the sunroof drain and no effluent out the body panel drain.
I ran a weed trimmer cord as far as it would go before the bend to no avail.
Dealer used compressed air to blow out the drain which released some flow to the body panel drain.
Caveat, the check engine light came on before the most recent deluge into the foot well.
I had fueled up prior to CEL. After a phone call to the dealer it was suggested to reseat and ensure the clicks on fuel filler cap in hopes the light would clear itself in 20 miles… nope, not even 70 miles.
Dealer ran the code and found faulty O2 sensor and CPU module error.
Back home, I removed the left foot kick panel and found moisture in some of the wire connectors as well as the white retainer clips (for the kick panel) which protrude into a cavernous inaccessible pit.
The car is parked on a 12 degree slope nose down and enough slant toward the drivers’ side to drain all of the roof runoff to the drivers’ side.
I used a painters’ drop cloth (1mil) to cover the entire roof and diverted the roof runoff to the right side just in case there was water running in from the windshield wiper area on the cowl. I put towels covered with a plastic garbage bag in the foot well before more torrential rains last night.
This morning there was no pooled water and the towels were just moist hopefully from capillary action from the wet carpet and not additional leakage.
Started the engine this morning and the check engine light had gone off.
Stopped by the dealer this morning to see if someone had any insight into the cavernous pit that was retaining water or if they knew what if anything the drain hose connected to but, the master techs were not in on Saturday.
For grins, I asked the service advisor to pour water in the sunroof drain and I lay on the floor to record the body panel drain. Water poured out the body panel drain… and from behind a retainer clip for the running board plastic molding.
I have a video but it prohibits me from adding it for some reason.
Back home I tried to access the area but was reluctant to remove the running board panel so I stopped. I did remove the black plastic push pin connector from where the water was flowing to allow for easier draining.
Covered up the car and waiting for the rain… and an appointment for Tuesday to check out the O2 sensor and the Check Engine Light.
Anyone have any knowledge on what the heck is going on?
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1095.MOV (1.47 MB, 232 views)

Last edited by cmeldon; 02-19-17 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Hopefully to add video.