RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

cracked rim on my 2010 RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-16, 06:57 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
I can tell you now that chrome was applied outside of the Toyota Japan factory. So they may have overheated it.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 11-02-16, 02:57 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Casting flaw or design issue, maybe a bit of both. Torque applied at the hubs found the weakest spot, right at the narrowest part of the spoke.
Might be a reason Lexus did not continue the design into 2010.
Friend of mine had new OEM chrome rims put on his '10 RX about a year ago. No issues to date.
Old 11-02-16, 07:12 PM
BryanL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What scared me was my wife was driving highway speeds when she noticed this. What could have happened, didn't, thank god.

Update: the dealer sold me some factory take off's. I probably paid too much but we are back on the road...$890 Lexus did assign a person to investigate this. I would be happy if they paid for my factory take offs and do a recall to have similar wheels inspected by Lexus. I can't be the only one with bad wheels. This could easily kill someone. I will post a update when I find more out.
Old 11-03-16, 07:19 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanL
What scared me was my wife was driving highway speeds when she noticed this. What could have happened, didn't, thank god.

Update: the dealer sold me some factory take off's. I probably paid too much but we are back on the road...$890 Lexus did assign a person to investigate this. I would be happy if they paid for my factory take offs and do a recall to have similar wheels inspected by Lexus. I can't be the only one with bad wheels. This could easily kill someone. I will post a update when I find more out.
what do you mean by factory takeoffs? aftermarket wheels?
Old 11-03-16, 07:39 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

A factory takeoff should be an OEM part taken off by the dealer in effort to replace it with a different part, and the different part could be either upgraded or downgraded OEM, or it could be AM. The "takeoff" itself would be the OEM equipment.
Old 11-03-16, 01:02 PM
BryanL
Driver School Candidate

F250: yes, your correct, that is what most people consider "factory take off's" are..
Old 11-03-16, 01:38 PM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
I can tell you now that chrome was applied outside of the Toyota Japan factory. So they may have overheated it.
Have to agree with this. Electro plating chrome to aluminum is a pretty expensive process. The problem is the aluminum will oxidize almost immediately and nothing will stick to it. IIRC you first have to zincate the aluminum and then copper plate before you can get the chrome plating to stick (someone please correct me here if I'm wrong.)

It looking at the back of the wheel, it looks like someone took some shortcut to get the job done and compromised the aluminum.
Old 11-04-16, 06:35 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tus
Have to agree with this. Electro plating chrome to aluminum is a pretty expensive process. The problem is the aluminum will oxidize almost immediately and nothing will stick to it. IIRC you first have to zincate the aluminum and then copper plate before you can get the chrome plating to stick (someone please correct me here if I'm wrong.)

It looking at the back of the wheel, it looks like someone took some shortcut to get the job done and compromised the aluminum.
You're right in that applying chrome is a multi step process. I think it usually involves nickel and/or copper which essentially creates and electrochemical reaction that guarantees the chrome will eventually bubble and flake off. I hate chrome wheels.
You mentioned aluminum. I can't fathom the stock Lexus wheels being aluminum since they are easily the heaviest wheels I've come across in 20 years. My 19"x7" stock wheels (with tires) are noticeably heavier than my 20"x12" Work VSXX with a 325/25/20 tire on it. I think Lexus used lead!
This problem the OP had is frightening and unbelievable. I'm so glad he caught it before disaster.
Old 11-04-16, 03:43 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

You are absolutely correct.

Chrome plating rims are not cheap and easy.

The pics OP posted looked like whomever did thd chrome plating took some short cuts.

I had chrome rims on my MB SLK55AMG done at the following place:

https://www.lawheel.com

Very reputable and all they do is chrome plating and powder coating, and etc. But it will not be cheap.

If chrome plating is not done correctly, the process will weaken the rim structurally. The problem will not be evident until years and many many miles later. Most MB dealers will not officially offer chrome rims. You would have to do it aftermarket on your own due to liability issues. I guess Lexus HQ allows this to hsppen?? IDK??

Originally Posted by tus

Old 11-05-16, 06:47 AM
BryanL
Driver School Candidate

Lexus agreed to give me a $1000 credit at their service department. I'm happy with this but wish they would inspect other cars that might have these wheels on them. Unfortunately they wouldn't pay me for the wheels I already purchased. This will pay for a couple of oil changes at the dealership
Old 11-08-16, 03:37 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

OP says they were put on by the dealer. That does not mean they were brand new castings. The dealer may very well have bought 4 refurb, chromed wheels. That would not be uncommon for some dealers. Lexus, or the dealer, at very least, should stand behind this. They are lucky someone was not killed