RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What happens to headlights if you shut off car AFTER you open door ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-16, 05:44 AM
joegoersch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happens to headlights if you shut off car AFTER you open door ?

The manual seems to state that the lights turn off (after a programmed delay) after the car is turned off when the doors are opened and closed. What if you open the door THEN turn the car off ? (I.e. if you don't click the "lock door" button on key fob)

Battery was dead in a.m. and neighbors said head lights were on the previous evening, I'm trying to figure out how this happened...it has happened before.

Thanks !
Below is excerpt from manual
Automatic light off system (RX450h)

When the light switch is in : The headlights and tail lights turn off 30 seconds

after a door is opened and closed if the “POWER” switch is turned to ACCESSORY

mode or turned off. (The lights turn off immediately if on the key is

pressed after all the doors are locked.)

To turn the lights on again, turn the “POWER” switch to ON mode, or turn the light

switch off once and then back to or .

If any of the doors is kept open, the lights automatically turn
Old 10-26-16, 06:33 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,097 Likes on 936 Posts

Were your headlights in auto mode? Did you then shut the door (obvious, but I have to ask). I have had our headlights in on mode, shut off the car and left them on and noticed they do shut off as they are off upon return. I did not pay attention if I opened the door first, but probably not. I would shut off the car, undo safety belt, then open the door.

It appears they may stay on in this scenario. I notice this on our cars when we pull into our garage, shut off the car and pop the hatch to unload stuff. Sometimes the hatch is open for several minutes and the lights are always on as long as the hatch/trunk or a door is left open right after shutting the car down. Both of our Lexus vehicles appear to operate the same way if the headlights are in auto mode, which is where they are 99% of the time. In this situation, I have taken to turning them off then back to auto so the headlights are off during these prolonged unloading situations.
Old 10-26-16, 07:29 AM
joegoersch
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Were your headlights in auto mode? Did you then shut the door (obvious, but I have to ask). I have had our headlights in on mode, shut off the car and left them on and noticed they do shut off as they are off upon return. I did not pay attention if I opened the door first, but probably not. I would shut off the car, undo safety belt, then open the door.

It appears they may stay on in this scenario. I notice this on our cars when we pull into our garage, shut off the car and pop the hatch to unload stuff. Sometimes the hatch is open for several minutes and the lights are always on as long as the hatch/trunk or a door is left open right after shutting the car down. Both of our Lexus vehicles appear to operate the same way if the headlights are in auto mode, which is where they are 99% of the time. In this situation, I have taken to turning them off then back to auto so the headlights are off during these prolonged unloading situations.
I believe my wife did shut the door. I am not sure if they were in auto or on mode, but in either mode they are supposed to shut off after pre-programmed time. I still don't know what happens if my wife opens door and then shuts off car and then closes door...

No way I can get further info from her
Old 10-26-16, 08:06 AM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Take a look at post #22 in this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post6921203

I can't confirm the accuracy of the post, but it appears that the first thing that has to happen in the sequence is a door has to open after the ignition is turned off.
Old 10-26-16, 08:08 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,097 Likes on 936 Posts

It could be as simple as she did not shut the door all the way. Do you park outside and lock the car? Or is it in your garage, unlocked? The only thing to do may be to see if it happens again. Also, maybe get your battery checked. You have not said how old your RX is.
Old 10-26-16, 09:57 AM
joegoersch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
It could be as simple as she did not shut the door all the way. Do you park outside and lock the car? Or is it in your garage, unlocked? The only thing to do may be to see if it happens again. Also, maybe get your battery checked. You have not said how old your RX is.
Sorry. Car is a 2012 Rx450h. Battery seems to be in good shape, no other problems have been noted with it. We park outside, on the street. Wife sometimes locks the door pushing lock button in car so she doesn't need to open purse. She told me she remembers locking the car from passenger side after she took some boxes out by pushing lock button on front passenger door.
Old 10-26-16, 10:05 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

joegoersch, take a look at the top of page 3 of the Lexus personalized settings. The default setting is for the headlights to turn off after 30 seconds but only if they are in auto mode.
Old 10-26-16, 10:57 AM
joegoersch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
joegoersch, take a look at the top of page 3 of the Lexus personalized settings. The default setting is for the headlights to turn off after 30 seconds but only if they are in auto mode.
the question is will lights automatically turn off if you open door before turning engine off...
Old 10-26-16, 11:17 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by joegoersch
the question is will lights automatically turn off if you open door before turning engine off...

I am almost certain that mine does. I'll have to check it tonight when I get home. I always leave my lights on Auto.
Old 10-26-16, 01:14 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Lights Auto->Engine Off->Door Open sequence has to be followed to a dot.
Unlike older implementations (pre-2013?), Parking Lights and Lights ON will not trigger the lights to turn off after the preset time.
Our 450h has the battery saver feature that turns off electrical components after 20 min.
That will kick in and save the battery when the lights are left on.

On my old IS300, I imitated driver door being opened after the remote start was disengaged in case the lights were left on, so they would turn off again.
Old 10-26-16, 04:46 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Change the light setting so the headlights turn off immediately. That's what I did on my '10 450h. Normally I'd shut the RXh off before opening the door. Otherwise locking it turned them off.
Old 10-26-16, 04:59 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know why anyone would not use the "auto" mode for headlights, but that is just me. The auto mode turns lights off a pre-set amount of time after the door closes. It does not matter when, or under what circumstances, the door was opened. Once the door is closed, the lights will go off after the pre-set time, if using the auto mode.

I apologize if this is redundant...I do not take the time to read each and every reply before posting.
Old 10-26-16, 05:06 PM
joegoersch
Driver School Candidate

Ok. So I went to car and light setting was set to immediate off. (2012 RX450h)

I put lights on auto. Started car, opened door. Shut off engine-->light off.
I put lights to "on". Started car, opened door. Shut off engine-->light off.
I started car. Lights to "on". Put car in drive. Opened door (foot on break). Shifted to Park. Car off-->lights off.
Same with lights in auto and "parking light" setting.
Nothing I could do would leave the lights on EXCEPT if the lights were off, turned car off. Then turned light to "ON". In this case nothing seemed to turn light off (e.g. double clicking door lock did nothing) except physically turning light switch to off.
Leaving doors open seemed to have no effect, so defective door jamb switch doesn't seem to be a possibility.
So I'm still stuck wondering how my wife could have left the lights on ??? (When I jumped the car, a neighbor said "Sorry, I didn't know it was your car parked in the street, I saw the lights on and knocked on a few doors, no one knew it was your car with the lights on...") The only bizarre possibility I can think of is that she hit the light switch with her purse on the way out ???

Any thoughts ? I couldn't defeat the mechanism trying to get lights to stay on !!!
Old 10-26-16, 05:37 PM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm starting to hear some strange the theme music from the past.....
Attached Files
File Type: wav
TZONE11.WAV (273.7 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by F250; 10-26-16 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-26-16, 11:50 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I wonder if you lock the car with the remote or if you have keyless entry, just tap on the door handle to lock........this will effectively turn all lights off no matter what. If one if the doors or the hatch is still open and not fully closed , then you will hear a long beep and the the doors will not lock until you close all doors properly.

Ok. So I went to car and light setting was set to immediate off. (2012 RX450h)

I put lights on auto. Started car, opened door. Shut off engine-->light off.
I put lights to "on". Started car, opened door. Shut off engine-->light off.
I started car. Lights to "on". Put car in drive. Opened door (foot on break). Shifted to Park. Car off-->lights off.
Same with lights in auto and "parking light" setting.
Nothing I could do would leave the lights on EXCEPT if the lights were off, turned car off. Then turned light to "ON". In this case nothing seemed to turn light off (e.g. double clicking door lock did nothing) except physically turning light switch to off.
Leaving doors open seemed to have no effect, so defective door jamb switch doesn't seem to be a possibility.
So I'm still stuck wondering how my wife could have left the lights on ??? (When I jumped the car, a neighbor said "Sorry, I didn't know it was your car parked in the street, I saw the lights on and knocked on a few doors, no one knew it was your car with the lights on...") The only bizarre possibility I can think of is that she hit the light switch with her purse on the way out ???

Any thoughts ? I couldn't defeat the mechanism trying to get lights to stay on !!!

Quick Reply: What happens to headlights if you shut off car AFTER you open door ?