RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Park assist goes crazy in wet weather

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-16, 12:25 PM
erom43
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Park assist goes crazy in wet weather

Driving in heavy rain on the interstate, my park assist warning started signaling. I assumed it was the heavy rain affecting the sensors. However, later on local roads, I kept getting intermittent warnings, with only light rain coming down. It seemed to happen most during deceleration, when water would slide down the hood toward the front bumper. I'm guessing it has something to do with the sensors on the front bumper, possibly getting water in them. Anyone else have a similar problem.....or solution?
Old 04-06-16, 03:10 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Never had it happen yet but, if I knew it was rain related and I got a false reading, I'd just turn it off until conditions improved.
Old 04-06-16, 04:12 PM
erom43
Rookie

In most cases it was momentary, but a nuisance. Also, while driving on the interstate, in the heavy rain, I could not figure out how to disarm the park assist. Only after getting on the computer, and looking it up, did I see that I had to use the menu functions.
I really think that water got into the sensor during the driving rain, and the residual moisture caused the false signals afterward. I'm not having the problem at this time, but it did recur driving in a subsequent rain, albeit to a much lesser degree.
Old 04-06-16, 05:51 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What year is your RX? Still covered under warranty?

I think your hunch is right .... moisture is getting into a sensor's connector. It's unlikely that moisture would get into the sensor itself.
Old 04-06-16, 08:13 PM
erom43
Rookie

Got 3000K left on warranty. 2013 RX 350.
Old 04-07-16, 07:16 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NateJG
You should be here in the North with ice/snow, where we play the game: "Guess which sensor has the ice"

EXACTLY Nate!! I was going to mention that...
The following users liked this post:
dteskmo (12-04-21)
Old 04-07-16, 09:46 AM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by erom43
Got 3000K left on warranty. 2013 RX 350.
If it's still under warranty, then certainly have the dealer take a look. \

Can you duplicate the problem by spraying water on the sensors?
Old 07-24-17, 12:05 PM
erom43
Rookie

Question Park assist activated in rain, on interstate.

Last year, on my 2013 RX350, my park assist started beeping uncontrollably during a heavy rain at highway speeds. It was very distracting until we decided what it was, and even then continued to be a distraction, especially in the heavy rain conditions. The source was verified after getting into local traffic and having the sensors activated when I braked, and water slid down the hood to the front bumper. Wasn't sure how to turn them off, since it had always been active since I bought the car. Once I figured it out it solved the problem. However, I kind of like the feature when parking or maneuvering in tight spaces. After a day or two of dry conditions it appeared to work normally. That is until the next rain.
Since the car was no longer covered by warranty I hesitated to get it fixed for fear of a very large bill, especially since I can turn it off easily, now that I know how. I tried heavy waxing on the front bumper area, but that did not fix the problem. Preparing for a long drive in expected rain, I decided to apply some Vaseline around the edges of the front sensors. That seemed to work well, although I'm not certain of the long term effects on the skin.
Looking for others who may have this same problem, as well as any suggestions on how to handle it. Thanks.
Old 07-28-17, 09:13 PM
splee99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2010 RX350 has the same issue and actually let the dealer check it. However they didn't find any problem and I have to live with it, although it doesn't happen very often. The back sensor is less sensitive and I had hit a car when backup because the warning came too late. The dealer did help me to increase the back sensor sensitivity (actually you can do it yourself through the navigation menu).
Old 07-29-17, 09:03 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by splee99
My 2010 RX350 has the same issue and actually let the dealer check it. However they didn't find any problem and I have to live with it, although it doesn't happen very often. The back sensor is less sensitive and I had hit a car when backup because the warning came too late. The dealer did help me to increase the back sensor sensitivity (actually you can do it yourself through the navigation menu).
actually NAV menu only shortens the distance when the beeps start. The problem is the tardiness of the beep. It's so annoyingly slow that I turned it off. It's like 1 second delay. What's the darn point. It's an electronic toy at best. Not an instrument to count on.
Old 07-31-17, 12:55 PM
erom43
Rookie

Originally Posted by splee99
I have to think the essence of the problem is water leaking into the sensors. Reasons: 1. There was no problem for the first three plus years I owned the car, which included driving in numerous heavy rains. 2. The Vaseline trick seemed to solve the problem, by limiting water access to the front sensors. However, unlike you, I have not had any apparent problem with the rear park sensors.
Old 10-12-17, 05:32 AM
radiologym
Pit Crew

Default Front proximity sensor malfunction

Hello, front proximity sensor on 2014 RX going off on highway, with nothing in front of the car. It is raining today but what could be causes and things to try before I take it to the dealer? Sorry if wrong forum. Thanks!
Old 10-12-17, 05:34 AM
radiologym
Pit Crew

Default front proximity sensor malfunction

Hello, front proximity sensor/alarm on 2014 RX going off on highway, with nothing in front of the car. It is raining today but what could be causes and things to try before I take it to the dealer? Thanks!

Edit: Alarm sounds every time breaks are engaged.

Last edited by radiologym; 10-12-17 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-12-17, 06:16 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by radiologym
Hello, front proximity sensor/alarm on 2014 RX going off on highway, with nothing in front of the car. It is raining today but what could be causes and things to try before I take it to the dealer? Thanks!
I know it sounds silly, but I have heard of rain causing issues with the front sensors. If it does the same when it is not raining, take it in.
Old 10-12-17, 07:23 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by radiologym
Hello, front proximity sensor on 2014 RX going off on highway, with nothing in front of the car. It is raining today but what could be causes and things to try before I take it to the dealer? Sorry if wrong forum. Thanks!
I am afraid only the dealer can help. Not a lot to fix, they either work or don't.

Quick Reply: Park assist goes crazy in wet weather