RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How do you turn the heater on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-16, 08:41 AM
ehc0720
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you turn the heater on?

I have a 2015 F-Sport and I live in FL so not much need for the heater, however I just got back from spending a week in NC and couldn't get the heater to come on. I had it on AUTO and set the temp about 20 deg higher that the outside temp and just cold air blowing( felt like the A/C was blowing. So I turned AUTO off and still cold air but felt like outside air not A/C blowing. So how do you get the heater on?!?!?!? BTW... the heated seats worked.
Old 03-14-16, 08:54 AM
GRJFER
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my 2013, I just leave it in auto, and adjust the temperature up or down as needed.
Old 03-14-16, 09:18 AM
ehc0720
Driver School Candidate

that is the way I understood it also, just leave it on AUTO, but when it is in the 40's or 50's and the A/C is still blowing cold air there must be something wrong. I guess I need to take it to the dealer. Thanks.
Old 03-14-16, 10:49 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by ehc0720
that is the way I understood it also, just leave it on AUTO, but when it is in the 40's or 50's and the A/C is still blowing cold air there must be something wrong. I guess I need to take it to the dealer. Thanks.
You change the temperature with the up/down arrows to adjust the heat (or cold). Just keep pushing the down arrow until the number stops going down (it may say HOT) for max heat.
Old 03-14-16, 11:17 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

You can also go to the Climate Control menu option and turn AC off. Annoying, but AC runs by default even with the heat on.
Old 03-14-16, 12:56 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

You set the desired temperature that you want to attain in the cabin. I set my temp between 76 thru 72 depending on how cold or warm that I feel. Don't pay any attention to the outside air temp, the heater functions to give you the temperature in the cabin that you have it set for.
Old 03-15-16, 07:23 AM
ehc0720
Driver School Candidate

OP here. I tried several settings with and without Auto on and could never get heat to come out the vents. Also, when it is in the 90's here in FL the a/c doesn't start blowing cold air until I've driven about 5 mi, does this seem normal? I'm about due for my first service, I'll have them check out the heater and a/c then.
Old 03-15-16, 08:05 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

You have an hvac system problem. They will fix it during your service. I would tell them before bringing it in.
Old 03-15-16, 08:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by ehc0720
OP here. I tried several settings with and without Auto on and could never get heat to come out the vents. Also, when it is in the 90's here in FL the a/c doesn't start blowing cold air until I've driven about 5 mi, does this seem normal? I'm about due for my first service, I'll have them check out the heater and a/c then.
What temperature did you turn it to?
Old 03-16-16, 07:51 AM
ehc0720
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
What temperature did you turn it to?
I set both sides to 81, it was 58 outside. I left it that way for several minutes with AUTO on and then with AUTO off, still no heat just cold air blowing(colder with AUTO on).

The LS460 I traded it would put out heat with Auto on or off.

Last edited by ehc0720; 03-16-16 at 07:53 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-23-16, 09:30 AM
ehc0720
Driver School Candidate

OP here. Well I took my RX into the dealer today to have a look at the A/C - Heater issues (I think I have) looked at and the comments from the service mgr are, while they can see that it takes a while for the heat to come in it is working as designed (hate that phrase). I told them I rode around for at least 30 min and never got any heat while in the 40's outside until I raised the indoor thermostat up to 81 and with AUTO off.
Anyway, I have found a way to get heat. As soon as I start the car I turn on the front and rear defroster/defogger and heat comes out in about a minute, I then turn that off and viola, heat now comes thru the vents.

No cure for the A/C not coming on for about 5 min after start up though. Not good here in FL.

Another thing I asked about is the GPS, it needs updates, it doesn't even show the I-295 loop exits on split screen while on I-95 but shows other exits just fine. Writer say oh yes there is an update it came in the month after I bought the car, I've only had the car 3-4 mo now and they want me to pay for an update, not what I expect from a high end dealership, maybe a used car lot.
Old 03-23-16, 12:46 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

That is not how it was designed to function.
I think they do not want to work on your HVAC system. Is there another Lexus dealer you can take it to? If not, I would call Lexus corporate and complain and ask they have a zone rep look at it . Those are the roaming troubleshooters who visit dealers to fix stuff beyond the capabilities of the dealers and smooth over spoiled relationships due to dealer ineptitude.
Old 02-22-18, 05:07 PM
53veerpass
Driver School Candidate

Default That's Funny and Great!

A very Large "THANK YOU" to ehc0720...your solution worked great in my 2011 ls460!

"As soon as I start the car I turn on the front and rear defroster/defogger and heat comes out in about a minute"
Old 02-25-18, 05:57 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The system will not blower warm /hot air right away
at -20° it take about 5 mins before the system starts blowing hot air
the only problem I found is the interior windows would fog up for a couple mins when it really cold out
one thing I wish was that the heating wires for the window shield was hooked in with the rear window defogger switch instead getting into the climate control screen to turn it on
Old 02-25-18, 05:18 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

It may help to understand how the system works [it may not give you heat immediately but may pacify you].

Cabin heat:
Is derived from coolant. For heat to be present, one has to wait till the temperature gauge moves up after a cold engine is started.folks with remote started can benefit from firing up the engine couple of minutes before stepping into the vehicle.

Fogging:
It is really condensation of water (moisture) on cold surfaces. Humans and animals (pets in the vehicle) let out lost of moisture when they breath and also bring in moisture on clothes (rain and snow). With cold glass surfaces the vapors get squeezed out of gaps in the air molecules. If you run the A/C another cold surface will be the expansion valve. We all want to feel warm air, but if the A/C is turned on then lot of moisture will be sucked out by the A/C. With cabin temperature set to heat, the way to turn on the A/C is the defroster button. The system then stops blowing cold air at face level.

Salim

Quick Reply: How do you turn the heater on?