Navigation Upgrade - Page 11 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation Upgrade

Old 12-28-18, 08:45 AM
ColAngus
Driver

Originally Posted by iolmaster View Post
I have no idea why some people have such hate for the navigation systems in these cars. I have both an 06 SC430 and the 15 RX. Are they state of the art? NO! However, they work fine. I have used both many times without issues. I have no idea why people have so much trouble using them. Get a grip guys.
It's because Google Maps on a phone was superior in 2011 and has been CONSTANTLY updated every since to the point that it's more than a decade ahead in technology. There's no comparison. I don't understand why car companies even include navigation.
If I could buy a new car with a hole in the dash and about six empty spots for speakers, I think I would. Grab the keys and head straight to a stereo store to spend the $2k on a system that properly enhances and complements the features on my already superior phone while offering a better sound experience.

Old 12-28-18, 08:55 AM
rj4510
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iolmaster View Post
I have no idea why people have so much trouble using them. Get a grip guys.
...Find adress in Enform app > sync with Navi. Almost as easy as searching in Google Maps. If the address doesnít exist because itís too new, consider an update. If the extra dollars spent arenít worth it, use Google. Those will be the same options Iíll be weighing when itís time for new maps. Even without the nanny locking me out, itís still 100 times easier to use the Enform app than to type in a destination into the Navi itself.

The only thing easier is Apple Play or Android Auto. Thatís where Lexus needs to step up. I donít care...add another 100 lines of useless disclaimers to the screen. If I plow into someone trying to type in a destination, itís on me. Iíve been far more likely to plow into another car using the frustrating voice commands. Itís been at least two years since Iíve attempted those and doubt I ever will again. It never understands anything even if I follow the prompts and speak v e r y s l o w e l y....
Old 12-28-18, 09:49 AM
lex_rx
Pole Position

It's about C$400 to upgrade from my 2008 (I think) map on my 2011 and service advisor said take a newer car for a test drive and see if the new map is worth it to you. My experience with the voice is to talk normally, not slowly. In Canada, when speaking possibly French street names for the first time, I still use the English pronunciation. For succeeding uses, i pronounce it the way the nav pronounces the word.

I've tried various Garmin models but none that I kept including one with built in dash cam. I agree that it's nice not to have another screen. When on a long road trip, I still carry maps from CAA.:-)
Old 02-12-19, 10:03 AM
BostonBob
Driver School Candidate

Default 2011 RX 350 Navigation upgrade

Hi All,
Have anyone upgraded NAV on G3?
Thank you.

Last edited by BostonBob; 02-12-19 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-17-19, 10:55 AM
chas410
Driver School Candidate

I did a map upgrade for free on my 6 yr. old Garmin. Works better than my Lexus [COLOR=left=#222222]navigation system ever has. Never paying for an upgrade.[/COLOR]

Last edited by kitlz; 02-17-19 at 12:53 PM. Reason: language
Old 02-18-19, 07:06 AM
rj4510
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BostonBob View Post
Hi All,
Have anyone upgraded NAV on G3?
Thank you.
I will be at some point. I use my maps sometimes daily to navigate to customer sites. Don’t like cables, 2nd and 3rd displays, wires and junk running everywhere. The screen is there. I’ve actually had better luck with it than the Apple or Google apps. At least it hasn’t told me to make a legal u-turn, followed by another legal u-turn, followed by another legal u-turn...you get the picture.

Still debating if if I’ll add a lock pick or prestige society something or other, so I can just leave my phone in the console. Watching a video in motion hasn’t been that important to me and while the maps are getting pretty outdated, with the Lexus Enform app, adding an address isn’t all that challenging, so I’ll just keep using it that way.

maybe when the Gen 5 is released, it’ll be sold as an AWD or Hybrid iPad instead of an SUV and we’ll all be happy...doubt it!

Last edited by rj4510; 02-18-19 at 07:56 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation Upgrade

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: