RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Extended Warranty (RX350)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-15, 07:53 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Still available as of 2-3 months ago from Toby Rivers.I bought one in January/Feb over the phone which was long after Troy and Jerry stopped selling.May buy another on a '15 RX I bought recently.
I'm told he can sell warranties because they have both Lexus and a Toyota dealer.
Troy Dietrich and Jerry Johnson was just Toyota dealers.
BS reason,I don't know.

I just sent an email for a warranty cost for my RX.
Thanks. There you go. A Lexus dealership is key. Good news to help at least come up with some comparative pricing, when there is no MSRP any longer on things like extended warranties as a starting point for negotiation. Whoo-hoo.
Old 06-27-15, 08:01 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
Thanks. There you go. A Lexus dealership is key. Good news to help at least come up with some comparative pricing, when there is no MSRP any longer on things like extended warranties as a starting point for negotiation. Whoo-hoo.
Assuming he's still selling warranties.
I emailed and just tried calling and he's not in yet.I left a voice mail.
I'll post when he gets back to me.

Also no sales tax when buying a warranty out of state.
Use a Lexus Visa card and get 5% back.

Last edited by Joeb427; 06-27-15 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-27-15, 08:08 AM
BertL
Racer

Originally Posted by NateJG
Bert:

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed post.

BTW: when I looked at policies a few years back, I couldn't find one that would cover any repairs due to a failure of, let alone pay the cost of repairs for, a timing belt.

My recollection was that those policies' exclusions limited anything related to a failure of a part that was not an "internally-lubricated" part; and since the timing belt - while it's arguably "internal" to the engine, is not a "lubricated" part.

Slippery suckers, they are.

Other policies that I've read specifically exclude parts that have "overheated".

Overheated?!?

Gimme a break! Doesn't nearly any part get hot during it's failure? Does the Chicken and the Egg argument apply?

Could that mean that a failed transistor - (Definition: a transistor is merely a containment vessel that contains a quantity of smoke under pressure; When the transistor heats up and leaks out the smoke, it is defined as having failed. ) - could be interpreted as having "overheated" - and, therefore, excluded from the warranty?
Be sure you read the detail on present warranties when you begin your real pursuit once again. From a couple quick searches I just did on the WWW attempting to find current T&C, from my non-lawyer POV, it appears the timing belt you are concerned with IS covered by a Lexus Platinum Service Agreement -- supporting my comments above.
Old 06-27-15, 08:26 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I had stopped looking - as the current versions of the RX have chains and, better yet, they're "internally lubricated".

Wifie just sold the last of our timing-belt-ridden vehicles; and her new one came equipped with a timing chain.

So, hopefully for the future, our "fleet" is free of timing belts (hmmm, is the Honda 150 HP outboard a timing belt engine? Gotta go check. The other boat is a 350 Chevy -- and I understand those.).

Speaking of boats, it has just stopped raining - so I'll be out on a boat soon -

Update: Oh, Darn - yes it does have a belt (and it's still sprinkling).

Last edited by NateJG; 06-27-15 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-28-15, 07:47 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't plan to keep the car past the power train warranty period you could go a gap warranty. Most extended warranties are expensive because they cover everything on the car....even the power train that already has a longer warranty than the rest of the car. A gap warranty extends the bumper to bumper warranty of the rest of the car to match the power train terms...in our case 6 years /72k. And because it doesn't redundantly cover the power train it's much less expensive. Mine was under $500. Got it through usaa fed savings bank, which I'm pretty sure isn't going under anytime soon. Of course it turned out to be a waste of money for me in the end because I'm selling my car come the holidays . But I can cancel and get a prorated refund
Old 07-01-15, 08:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Toby Rivers is still selling out of state warranties.I've decided to buy one and am in the process of doing so...

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-01-15 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-02-15, 04:56 AM
BertL
Racer

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Toby Rivers is still selling out of state warranties.I've decided to buy one and am in the process of doing so...
Appreciate the update.