RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Thinking about buying RX 350 in Chicago and moving to California

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-15, 08:35 PM
hiltxan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying RX 350 in Chicago and moving to California

Thinking about moving back to the west coast after a couple years in the midwest and deciding whether or not to buy a car in the midwest and do a road trip back, or buy a car at my destination. I'm looking to get a used 2013 RX 350, which is 2-3k cheaper in the midwest, and keeping it for maybe 5 years or even longer if I really like it. After trying to search up old posts, reading online forums, talking to dealers I would like to just get some honest opinions.

My question is if snow, salt and rust are really a problem in buying used cars. I'm worried that even with a certified pre-owned vehicle that one day the rust will catch up, even after only 1-2 winters in the snow belt. Dealers on the west coast have told me that it's a real problem with rust, whereas in the midwest deny it. Online forums and older posts said that rust was a problem with older cars, but with new cars and technology, that it's practically nonexistent. Anyone with any advice?
Old 01-05-15, 09:10 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was thinking you might also save some money on sale tax as most place in CA with sale tax over 9% (not sure what IL sale tax is). But then CA DMV might charge you the different if the car was recently purchased. Call and check with DMV
I would not worry too much with the potential problems with the rust! I moved to the Bay Area and shipped 2 cars from CT (2007 BMW and 2009 Acura). I gave both cars a good good cleaning underneath and haven't notice any problem with rust. Good luck.
Old 01-05-15, 09:20 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

[QUOTE=hiltxan;8854227]Thinking about moving back to the west coast after a couple years in the midwest and deciding whether or not to buy a car in the midwest and do a road trip back, or buy a car at my destination. I'm looking to get a used 2013 RX 350, which is 2-3k cheaper in the midwest, and keeping it for maybe 5 years or even longer if I really like it. After trying to search up old posts, reading online forums, talking to dealers I would like to just get some honest opinions.

My question is if snow, salt and rust are really a problem in buying used cars. I'm worried that even with a certified pre-owned vehicle that one day the rust will catch up, even after only 1-2 winters in the snow belt. Dealers on the west coast have told me that it's a real problem with rust, whereas in the midwest deny it. Online forums and older posts said that rust was a problem with older cars, but with new cars and technology, that it's practically nonexistent. Anyone with any advice?[/QUOTE

Don't think rust is much of a problem anymore. Just traded a 15 year old Ford Windstar which spent its whole life in the Chicago area and it was just starting to show some signs of rust. As far as cars being cheaper here, I would do some website searches such as www.Iseecars.com to verify that. It seems after reviewing the "prices paid" threads in this forum that the west coast dealers give bigger discounts on new RX's than here. Another thing to keep in mind is you may not need AWD in CA. There are probably more used 2 wheel drive cars in California.
Old 01-05-15, 11:23 PM
hiltxan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably won't end up getting a new RX since it's out of my budget. Looking at 2013 RXs on lexus certified preowned online and on www.iseecars.com, California cars are around 36-38k+, whereas I can find some going for 34-35k in Chicago.

Is there any way of getting around having to pay sales tax in California? If I bought a used car from a private owner instead of a dealer, registration and everything's already paid for right? And if I bring it to California, do I just pay registration fees or do I also have to pay sales tax on it?
Old 01-06-15, 05:59 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, you won't pay CA sales tax if you make the purchase out of state, drive it out-of-state first**, then move here. Check THIS PAGE on the CA Board of Equalization site for info on taxing... #1 should answer your questions. I can't say if Illinois is gonna come looking for taxes in which scenarios, as I didn't look that up. (**FWIW, I flew to CA and purchased my SC430 here in 2001 when new ones were hard to come by, but had the dealer truck it back to my home in GA after I signed all the paperwork -- only taking the SC430 for a test drive with the salesman in that process. I paid GA taxes and registration on the vehicle since it was the first place I used the car.)

Either way, it will be your responsibility to transfer the registration to CA when you get here. THIS PAGE on the CA DMV site may help answer more questions. Towards the bottom there is a link to a page that will help determine when you technically become a CA resident, and therefore establish when the clock begins to have that registration completed here with a vehicle brought into the State.
Old 01-06-15, 06:09 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hiltxan
Probably won't end up getting a new RX since it's out of my budget. Looking at 2013 RXs on lexus certified preowned online and on www.iseecars.com, California cars are around 36-38k+, whereas I can find some going for 34-35k in Chicago.

Is there any way of getting around having to pay sales tax in California? If I bought a used car from a private owner instead of a dealer, registration and everything's already paid for right? And if I bring it to California, do I just pay registration fees or do I also have to pay sales tax on it?
I moved from Michigan to California years ago too. I bought a brand new 2006 Kawasaki ZX10R motorcycle and California DMV refuse to let me register it there stating that it is new vehicle and did not pass emissions in california and in order for me to register it I an neeesed to have a specific milage on the bike in order to qualify it for being used "used bikes dont need to pass emissions". I think it was 7500 miles or something like that but my bike only had 800 miles on it. It took me a very long time to rack up miles before I was able to register it in California. You need to check with California's dmv before you do anything because California is very picky with stuff like that.

Also one thing you need know is..... will the chicago Lexus RX pass inspections/emmission inspections in California? What are the requirements?

Kawasai bikes sold in 2006 in california had a California emissions certification stamp on the muffler while the same exact bike sold in 49 other states does not. California is so difficult Kawasaki had to build a specific model to sell in California to meet its requirements. So the same bike I bought sold in California has a quieter muffler and makes less power as a result.
Old 01-06-15, 07:10 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, AL13NV8D3R brings up a good point about smog certification if you bring a vehicle into CA. That info is on THIS PAGE of the CA DMV site. Details are there for you to digest, but take note that what county you plan to live in and how old your vehicle is plays into if the certification and biennual recertification is required. (I'm spoiled with my RXh, as hybrids don't have any smog certification requirement in CA.)
Old 01-06-15, 07:38 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

OP, I would buy a salt-free car in CA, even though it will be more expensive.
Even after one winter, you can see the effects salt has on exposed metal parts.
It is what it is, but if you have an option of not dealing with it, then that's what I would do.
Just look at front calipers of 2-year old cars that Lexus won't paint for some reason.
Cars in warm climates retain their new look much longer.