RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

To RES+ or not, that is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-14, 04:00 AM
ES300_NJ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To RES+ or not, that is the question.

I'm a new owner of 2010 RX350. It has remote start but the reach is out of useful range for me as I live in condo. So, I was considering getting res+ installed. Dealer wants $850 for it. Is this the norm?
Can I install it my self as it already has remote start?
Has any one tried successfully installing it them self?
Is there anyway to increase the range of the existing remote start?
Does anyone have res+ and what do you like dislike about it?
Just wanted to get your opinion on it.
Thank you in advance
Old 01-09-14, 04:40 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

The FOB only has some much RF capability and do not think there is a way to increase the range.
Old 01-09-14, 06:26 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can search this forum for RES+ as there has been a lot of discussion of this option.

You also may want to search for Viper as a 3rd party remote system that gets good reviews.

Both systems require a subscription for the service.
Old 01-09-14, 11:59 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought about getting the RES in my F sport for the occasional longer trips with the three kids. I was having heartburn over spending that much money. They I came across an iPad mount by the Joy Factory (look for it on Amazon). They have a version that mounts an iPad to the headrest post. They actually have a ton of different options regarding where to mount it. I say, if you have an iPad, this is an excellent option. With the RX, you can also bluetooth connec the iPad to the car, so the sound of the movie comes right out of the speakers. The only downside is that you have to control the movie from the iPad itself (other than the volume). But at least your entertainment system is portable.
Old 01-09-14, 12:13 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by viperdoc
I thought about getting the RES in my F sport for the occasional longer trips with the three kids. I was having heartburn over spending that much money. They I came across an iPad mount by the Joy Factory (look for it on Amazon). They have a version that mounts an iPad to the headrest post. They actually have a ton of different options regarding where to mount it. I say, if you have an iPad, this is an excellent option. With the RX, you can also bluetooth connec the iPad to the car, so the sound of the movie comes right out of the speakers. The only downside is that you have to control the movie from the iPad itself (other than the volume). But at least your entertainment system is portable.
eh?

RES (Remote Engine Start)

Think you're talking about the entertainment system. And agreed, aftermarket better than oem with a variety of options.
Old 01-13-14, 12:11 PM
nedrad
Driver School Candidate

Default Also considering

I'm in the same situation. I have remote start on my RX350 and am unhappy with it. My previous car (RX300) had an after market remote start with a transmitter that told you if the car had been successfully started, which I liked. I find when I try to use the Lexus installed remote start I never know if it's started, and most of the time when I get out to the car it's not. Very frustrating.

So, I'm considering the RES+ as well. My only hangup has been trying to find more information on the items that are attached to the inside windshield on the passenger side. I really want to see one in person, or see good pics of them before I buy. But, as it sits, this remote start is worthless in my opinion. I never use it, and I used the remote start in my RX300 all the time. I haven't searched the forums for pics in a while. That's next on my list.

My dealer quoted $750 for the RES+ (plus subscription costs), but that was over 6 months ago, so price may have increased.

Post back if you end up getting it! Sorry I can't help with the other questions.

md
Old 01-13-14, 01:01 PM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look here for pics of the antennae. Yes, there are 2 antennae that go on the windshield, ugly if you ask me, but that's the way it goes.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-res-3.html#43
Old 01-13-14, 01:06 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Financially it doesn't make any sense. Go get the Viper for half the price and add:

Alarm system
Shock sensor
Remote Start
Windows up/down

and no mugly antennae
Old 01-13-14, 01:21 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

If given a choice, my vote goes toward aftermarket. I installed Compustar on my IS300 close to 10 years ago. It has all the distance I need. I can start the car from my cubicle and get a confirmation that it had started from the 2-way remote. No need for any subscription fees. I have not messed with the RX and its smart key/canbus yet. Needless to say, I did not opt for OEM remote start.
Old 01-13-14, 01:24 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
eh?

RES (Remote Engine Start)

Think you're talking about the entertainment system. And agreed, aftermarket better than oem with a variety of options.
And....yes.....I am a moron. But in my defense I am car shopping right now and RES is in my head as rear entertainment system.
Old 01-13-14, 05:30 PM
ES300_NJ
Rookie

Originally Posted by nedrad
I'm in the same situation. I have remote start on my RX350 and am unhappy with it. My previous car (RX300) had an after market remote start with a transmitter that told you if the car had been successfully started, which I liked. I find when I try to use the Lexus installed remote start I never know if it's started, and most of the time when I get out to the car it's not. Very frustrating.

So, I'm considering the RES+ as well. My only hangup has been trying to find more information on the items that are attached to the inside windshield on the passenger side. I really want to see one in person, or see good pics of them before I buy. But, as it sits, this remote start is worthless in my opinion. I never use it, and I used the remote start in my RX300 all the time. I haven't searched the forums for pics in a while. That's next on my list.

My dealer quoted $750 for the RES+ (plus subscription costs), but that was over 6 months ago, so price may have increased.

Post back if you end up getting it! Sorry I can't help with the other questions.

md
Thanks for that MD.. I will post back.. Please do that as well.. or if you decide to go aftermarket let me know what you end up with.
Old 01-13-14, 05:31 PM
ES300_NJ
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mors
Take a look here for pics of the antennae. Yes, there are 2 antennae that go on the windshield, ugly if you ask me, but that's the way it goes.
UGH!! That is ugly.. Aftermarket it is.. Does it void the warrenty? Does anyone know?
Old 01-13-14, 05:34 PM
ES300_NJ
Rookie

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Financially it doesn't make any sense. Go get the Viper for half the price and add:

Alarm system
Shock sensor
Remote Start
Windows up/down

and no mugly antennae
After looking at the pics or the RES+ pics.. antennae, yea will have to look in to this. Thx
Old 01-13-14, 05:36 PM
ES300_NJ
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mors
Thx for the pic.. I agree.. Lexus could have done a better job on this.. They're losing their touch or what?