RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Doors locked with Fob inside (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 08:35 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I was having the same thought. Also, I wonder if a low battery in the fob would contribute to this odd behavior.

I wish people from Lexus monitored this forum, so they could enlighten us about how it's supposed to work, and what most likely happened. If this had happened away from the safe with the spare key, it might be a serious issue. Knowing the real reason it happened might help others from getting locked out of thier car in a difficult situation. Besides, people come up with some really good ideas to improve their owner experience. For example, you would think that Lexus would be interested in the fact that one of the OEM tire brands they use makes the car more noisy and the ride more harsh.

My last comment is that I find it interesting that we all seem to have our own habits/quirks when it comes to our cars. After spending time on this forum, I have discovered I may have more than most! These are things we have discovered that make life a little more convenient FOR US, that no one else would ever understand. Personally, I'm pretty sure that car keys are the primary reason pockets were invented. According to my wife though, women's clothes often don't have pockets, so they invented purses. Personally, I prefer pockets! I look funny with a purse
I really think the moral of the whole story, here, is that the key needs to be removed from the vehicle, even if it is locked in a garage. Mine lives in the front pocket!
Old 01-15-14, 08:48 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I really think the moral of the whole story, here, is that the key needs to be removed from the vehicle, even if it is locked in a garage. Mine lives in the front pocket!
Agree completely.
Old 01-15-14, 09:04 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 160 Likes on 135 Posts

^ I agree. And I'm sure your insurance company would appreciate if you kept the key fob somewhere else. BTW, I haven't had the doors lock with the key fob left inside. It's a pretty smart system when you think about it.
Old 01-21-14, 04:51 PM
rnonwheels
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for pointing this out to me. I stopped reviewing all the responses because of so many judgmental comments about where to store my fob. I am female...I do not carry keys or phones in my pocket. I also do not read manuals....so once again, thanks! I was actually thinking of a more bizarre explanation such as solar flare...only reason was that 2 other people mentioned odd electronic device malfunctions that same evening, I have been keeping my fob in the door handle every night since I have owned this car and this has never happened before....strange it occurred when there was a solar storm going on?
Old 01-21-14, 06:05 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Hob *** with the Fob

Originally Posted by rnonwheels
Thanks so much for pointing this out to me. I stopped reviewing all the responses because of so many judgmental comments about where to store my fob. I am female...I do not carry keys or phones in my pocket. I also do not read manuals....so once again, thanks! I was actually thinking of a more bizarre explanation such as solar flare...only reason was that 2 other people mentioned odd electronic device malfunctions that same evening, I have been keeping my fob in the door handle every night since I have owned this car and this has never happened before....strange it occurred when there was a solar storm going on?
I really enjoyed reading this thread. Everyone beat me to the punch with my theories...Aliens, auto-lock, etc.
Now my comment: Does your husband have another car with remote locking capabilities? A neighbor with a Lexus? Maybe he hit lock on his remote and locked your car by some remote (no pun intended) chance they are on the same frequency. Fat chance, I know. Also, no one mentioned the owner's manual until the end, and the physical key was only mentioned once. Columbo would have realized no one said the safe was locked. Maybe it's being used as a shield to prevent radio transmission. Thanks for listening. Glad everything's resolved.
Oh, one last thing, if I have my fob with me and my wife has hers with her, and we get in, how does the car know to give her preference so as to maintain the "Happy wife, happy life" concept?
Yes, she has the Lexus bling logo on the back. Happy New Year.
Ray A.
Old 01-21-14, 06:19 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I do exactly the same thing. Phone in one pocket, wallet and keys in the other.

My wife, on the other hand, can either have the key in her purse or in the pocket of her coat. Occasionally, purse ends up in the car, along with the key inside of it.
Phone in shirt pocket, wallet and key each in a front pocket. That is how I roll.
Old 01-22-14, 04:30 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Pressing lock button on the second key will do the trick. Having a key locked inside will disable smartkey unlocking. That's how I lock the car if my wife leaves her purse inside with her key in it.

You cannot do this on 2012. All keys must be out of the car.
Old 01-22-14, 05:38 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rnonwheels
My bet would be , the same crooks who hacked the database of Target stores, Nordstrom gain access to your garage, and they're pulling a prank on you.

kidding aside, don't look at the comments as " judgmental comments", constructive criticism OR a difference in opinion would be better.

and my wife, who doesn't carry keys or phone in her pocket either.. have those things inside a purse.

at the end of the day, after hearing all these information, you're free to do whatever you want.
Old 01-22-14, 05:52 AM
Cruiter

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default And the winner is ..........

It's been really hard for me to stay out of this thread, especially at night when sipping the red wine . But it's morning now and nothing but Wilfred Brimley's oatmeal to influence my intellect and cholesterol. I thought about it in the shower this morning where I get some of my clearest thinking done.

Roger, your post below is the only logical answer, the OP should reward you with new batteries for your remotes and perhaps read the manuals she admittedly did not. Nothing to be ashamed of, I rarely read my computer manuals . But these are a new generation of cars, many things work differently and require a new sense of the way they operate. The keys for instance should be thought of as radios that are constantly on, therefor some battery drainage. When left in the car, they are constantly maintaining that contact and draining faster. Two keys, or keys and phone in the same proximity (such as pocket) can have the same effect (phone is a radio too). I've developed my own habit of putting wallet and keys on counter by answering machine (near garage door) when coming home. The keys are always in the same place when I'm ready to leave. One exception, I have two cars w/smart keys. I keep the keys to the Corvette in a separate place (to keep their radios more than 5 ft apart).

Quoting Anita and some others, it's a good bet if you had to tell your insurance company your car was removed from your garage and yes, you usually leave the key in because the 'garage' is locked they'd probably give your claim a lot of consideration before paying it. Most theft crimes are 'crimes of opportunity'. Just saying .......
Originally Posted by Browninggo
I copied this from the manual. Found in another thread and thought of you and this scenario.

Do not leave the electronic key on top of the instrument panel or near the door pockets when exiting the vehicle. Depending on the radio wave reception con- ditions, it may be detected by the antenna outside the cabin and the door will become lockable from the outside, possibly trapping the electronic key inside the vehicle.
http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_01-02.pdf
Old 01-22-14, 06:14 AM
utkinpol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already found out for myself that key fob transmitter is very weak. car easily looses connection to key if you put key and iphone into pockets on same side, so now I learned to put them into separate pockets.

also when you get to the grocery store parking it happened twice already - car just reports - connection lost to key, I bring damn key right next to immobilizer and still it does not sense it. then I see some other car to pull away and it starts working. so, it is what it is.
Old 01-22-14, 07:07 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MARQEVANS
You cannot do this on 2012. All keys must be out of the car.
Are you sure? Worked just fine on the 2010 Prius we used to have.
Old 01-22-14, 08:57 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I already found out for myself that key fob transmitter is very weak. car easily looses connection to key if you put key and iphone into pockets on same side, so now I learned to put them into separate pockets.

also when you get to the grocery store parking it happened twice already - car just reports - connection lost to key, I bring damn key right next to immobilizer and still it does not sense it. then I see some other car to pull away and it starts working. so, it is what it is.
I have also learned not to keep key and iPhone is same pocket. I think it messes up bluetooth also for the phone.
Old 01-22-14, 01:04 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ironically, when you bring the car to the car wash or dealer they usually have you leave the key in the cup holder. By the way, when I went to PA I put an extra key in my suitcase in the trunk. I forgot all about it until I tried to lock the doors. It wouldn't let me even though the normal key was in my purse. I had to roll around with the suitcase while we went to a restaurant because I didn't want to unpack the suitcase!
Old 01-22-14, 01:07 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
Ironically, when you bring the car to the car wash or dealer they usually have you leave the key in the cup holder. By the way, when I went to PA I put an extra key in my suitcase in the trunk. I forgot all about it until I tried to lock the doors. It wouldn't let me even though the normal key was in my purse. I had to roll around with the suitcase while we went to a restaurant because I didn't want to unpack the suitcase!
Next time, find the key in your purse and press the lock button directly on it.
Old 01-22-14, 01:31 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Next time, find the key in your purse and press the lock button directly on it.
Guess it's pretty easy to lock the FOB in the trunk, here is a video from a Lexus dealer

Quick Reply: Doors locked with Fob inside (merged threads)