RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Advice need - RX350 or something else

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-13, 07:02 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

We also went from a RAV4 to the RX . Yes the V6 RAV is quicker. It's probably a 1000 lbs lighter. But that's also why it's so loud on the highway. The RX is much more solidly built. It's like night and day.
Old 12-23-13, 08:23 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tin369
I agree that a sedan would be ideal, better mpg etc. however I think we need an SUV, since it comes very handy to haul people visiting or getting some large items which would not fit in a sedan. Since we already have a sedan we want the other car to be a SUV.

The Q5 diesel would give better mpg perhaps, I have no idea about Audis to be honest. This is becoming more difficult that I originally thought.
I'm in the same boat as you. We want one SUV and one sedan. Right now, we have a 2002 RX300 and a 2011 Camry Hybrid. I recently special ordered a 2014 RX hybrid. I honestly didn't look very long at other SUV's. My 2002 RX still drives great - no issues whatsoever, I just want a new one. I briefly looked at the Acura MDX (ugly exterior in my opinion), the Q5 Hybrid (decent looking car, but I hadn't owned an Audi so didn't know about reliability, etc. It may be good, but I know the Lexus so decided to just stick with it). There are a few things I don't really like about the Lexus (the remote touch for one, but I hope to not have to use it much during everyday driving).

As for the diesel Q5, if my calculations are correct, you'll be spending more on gas than with the RX, as diesel prices are about $1.00 more per gallon than unleaded right now.
The Q5 diesel gets 31 mpg highway. At 300 miles, the q5 has burned 9.677 gallons. At $3.79/gallon, that's $36.68.
The RX gets 25 highway. At 300 miles, the RX has burned 12 gallons. At $2.97/gallon (88 octane), that's $35.64.
Please forgive me if my math is off. I just wanted you to keep in mind that diesel is much more expensive (right now anyway).

As others have said, you'll get biased opinions here (most of us will choose the RX). I know you want opinions from many drivers and you probably have posted this on other forums as well. I think that's a smart idea. You may end up finding someone that has owned multiple brands of SUV's and can give a better opinion than others. Take all of the opinions, list pros/cons, go for extended test drives of the 2 or 3 models you've narrowed it down to, and make the best decision for YOU. Just make sure and don't go 2nd guess yourself afterwards.
Old 12-23-13, 09:45 AM
tin369
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mors
I'm in the same boat as you. We want one SUV and one sedan. Right now, we have a 2002 RX300 and a 2011 Camry Hybrid. I recently special ordered a 2014 RX hybrid. I honestly didn't look very long at other SUV's. My 2002 RX still drives great - no issues whatsoever, I just want a new one. I briefly looked at the Acura MDX (ugly exterior in my opinion), the Q5 Hybrid (decent looking car, but I hadn't owned an Audi so didn't know about reliability, etc. It may be good, but I know the Lexus so decided to just stick with it). There are a few things I don't really like about the Lexus (the remote touch for one, but I hope to not have to use it much during everyday driving).

As for the diesel Q5, if my calculations are correct, you'll be spending more on gas than with the RX, as diesel prices are about $1.00 more per gallon than unleaded right now.
The Q5 diesel gets 31 mpg highway. At 300 miles, the q5 has burned 9.677 gallons. At $3.79/gallon, that's $36.68.
The RX gets 25 highway. At 300 miles, the RX has burned 12 gallons. At $2.97/gallon (88 octane), that's $35.64.
Please forgive me if my math is off. I just wanted you to keep in mind that diesel is much more expensive (right now anyway).

As others have said, you'll get biased opinions here (most of us will choose the RX). I know you want opinions from many drivers and you probably have posted this on other forums as well. I think that's a smart idea. You may end up finding someone that has owned multiple brands of SUV's and can give a better opinion than others. Take all of the opinions, list pros/cons, go for extended test drives of the 2 or 3 models you've narrowed it down to, and make the best decision for YOU. Just make sure and don't go 2nd guess yourself afterwards.
Well I just looked and the difference in price between gas and diesel in the east coast is about $.60 cents.

Anyways, I do like the Lexus, but I don't like that it still has not implemented 8speed transmission. the seats are really good and the space in the back and trunk are also good compared to other suvs. however, I don't like infotainment and the dash itself. Are there any plans to make the same as the other model like the IS, GS dash? if so when?
Old 12-23-13, 03:48 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

tin369, the next gen RX might be out by the time the lease is up on your RAV4. Just wanted to put that out there as another option. Or you may want to wait until the NX debuts. Size wise It'll probably be comparable to your RAV4. But it may appeal to your interest in wanting something new. Take a look at this thread.
Old 12-23-13, 06:51 PM
fstshrk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
tin369, the next gen RX might be out by the time the lease is up on your RAV4. Just wanted to put that out there as another option. Or you may want to wait until the NX debuts. Size wise It'll probably be comparable to your RAV4. But it may appeal to your interest in wanting something new. Take a look at this thread.

From a reliability standpoint, isn't it better to get a current gen RX and not get the first year of the new body style?
Old 12-23-13, 08:25 PM
falconer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a 2014 Rx450H and love it. Super nice ride on long hauls. I would go with the nav package. It will automatically alert you to traffic events ahead of you and I was surprised the other day when it alerted us to severe weather on our route. But with all of this comes a price. Just for kicks, (and I hope I don't get lynched on this forum), you might test drve a Kia Sorento. Both of my kids have Kias. The warranty is tremendous, they come loaded with standard features, and the ride is pretty darn good. It might make sense for your budget and the number of miles you drive. BTW, when I was commuting, I bought a Solara. Very comfortable ride at a reasonable price.
Old 12-23-13, 09:38 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I just looked and the difference in price between gas and diesel in the east coast is about $.60 cents.

Anyways, I do like the Lexus, but I don't like that it still has not implemented 8speed transmission. the seats are really good and the space in the back and trunk are also good compared to other suvs. however, I don't like infotainment and the dash itself. Are there any plans to make the same as the other model like the IS, GS dash? if so when?
If you want 8 speed transmission and a real OFF roader, get a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
As for the "diesel" comsideration, there's something about the diesel noise that i will NEVER get used to.
Lexus infotainment, personally, i like the one on the GX.
Old 12-24-13, 06:10 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by fstshrk
From a reliability standpoint, isn't it better to get a current gen RX and not get the first year of the new body style?
I've bought every gen RX a few months after coming out including the very first back in 1998. The old adage about not buying first year does not apply to Lexus from my experience.
Old 12-25-13, 07:39 AM
tabcourt
Driver School Candidate

As for blue jeans dye transfer on light color leather seats - absolutely that is a problem! Opt for black instead. The dye is a pain to keep having to scrub off. Also, I managed to "clean" off a area of the ivory leather covering the arm rest leaving a dark scuff mark. All I used was one of those Armorall cleaning wipes but really bore down too hard.
Old 12-25-13, 11:57 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tabcourt
As for blue jeans dye transfer on light color leather seats - absolutely that is a problem! Opt for black instead. The dye is a pain to keep having to scrub off. Also, I managed to "clean" off a area of the ivory leather covering the arm rest leaving a dark scuff mark. All I used was one of those Armorall cleaning wipes but really bore down too hard.
i have the light gray interior. And the best solution. Don't wear pants.. AT ALL!

Merry Christmas guys!
Old 12-25-13, 01:38 PM
Jay1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Having leased and or purchased 7 RX models over the years I recommend purchasing on a 60 month note. Even if you drive 17K per year you can get out of it mid term without a loss if you want another Lexus. The 2013 RX 350 is the best! I am tempted to go with a GS next time but like sitting a bit higher and all the SUV storage plus it is easy for travel with our two dogs.
Old 12-26-13, 05:44 AM
tin369
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jay1
Having leased and or purchased 7 RX models over the years I recommend purchasing on a 60 month note. Even if you drive 17K per year you can get out of it mid term without a loss if you want another Lexus. The 2013 RX 350 is the best! I am tempted to go with a GS next time but like sitting a bit higher and all the SUV storage plus it is easy for travel with our two dogs.
Well purchasing would also mean higher mo. payments and I am not sure if I want to trade-in mid term if I would get a good trade in value.

We are also now considering the Q5, it look great and has good mpg, but not sure if the ride and seats would be comfortable for longer drives.
Old 12-26-13, 07:40 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you're making a poor financial decision. You don't "need" a new SUV. Be patient. Be content with what you have. When your financial obligation with the RAV4 is finished, you'll be in a much better position, with more options available to you. Take a deep breath. Back away for a couple of weeks. Perhaps the "feeling" will go away. You have nothing to lose by waiting.
Old 12-26-13, 10:56 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Well purchasing would also mean higher mo. payments and I am not sure if I want to trade-in mid term if I would get a good trade in value.

We are also now considering the Q5, it look great and has good mpg, but not sure if the ride and seats would be comfortable for longer drives.
Leasing does not magically lower the cost of ownership of a vehicle. All the leasing company does is buys a vehicle you want for you, and then, at the end of the term, sells it back to an interested party. All of it, for a fee, of course. But, you get lower monthly payments. Many people, who live by monthly payments, think it's a better deal. In the long run, it is not.

There are certain situations when leasing makes sense, such as a tax write-off for business owners. In your case, it does not.

I would highly recommend reading-up on what leasing really is. Residual values, down-payments (please do NOT put any money down), wear items, etc. Toyota vehicles have a good resale value because they are reliable. Even if you put a lot of miles on your car, it will still retain its value well.