RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

SOS light

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14, 08:03 AM
utkinpol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Yep. Once your membership expires, it goes from green to red.
So, in my RX, I have this worthless piece of electronics sitting where sunglasses holder would have been.
I will not pay for data services for my vehicle(s). That's what my cell phone is for.
Is it possible to order sunglasses holder to replace this SOS light assembly?

I did something similar on ES330 but it was long time ago. Back then dealer was able to just order me that holder no questions asked. Do they do it now?

It is quite odd as I asked them about this credit card shaped key for my 2014 and they told me it is not even possible to order one as it 'must to come with the car and it is not even replaceable'.
I can only hope a sunglasses holder is not such a rare commodity.
Old 01-07-14, 08:20 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom558
So, your cell phone will:

Stolen Vehicle Location
If you ever file a police report stating that your vehicle has been stolen, local authorities can remotely activate its tracking beacon using the vehicle's embedded cellular and GPS technology. This helps them to recover it more quickly and may minimize the amount of damage that can be incurred. Unlike some third-party services, the Stolen Vehicle Location system also works across the United States.

...and...

Automatic Collision Notification
In the event that your vehicle's airbags[9] deploy or you're involved in a severe rear-end collision, you'll be automatically connected to a Safety Connect[7] response center agent. After attempting to speak to the occupants, the agent will notify local emergency services of the situation and direct them to your vehicle's location.
One could always buy a Lojack if that's a concern. I can get a tracking device put into my vehicles for free, but I don't really want to. If it gets stolen, I would rather not get the car back.

Professional thieves will take your Lexus away from you in a matter of seconds. It won't even blip for a moment. Smart key is your biggest enemy. Its signal can be retransmitted remotely and your vehicle started using the key that's far away and is in your pocket. A simple portable GPS jammer (and cell if needed) will take care of vehicle tracking in the short term. Then, there's the Enform device just sitting there, begging to be disconnected. Pull, unplug, done.
Usually, the stolen car will be driven to a remote location not far away, say a long term parking garage, preferably underground. Alarms and tracking will be disabled. Then the car will be left alone for a few days, to see if it will be found by the authorities. If not, the next team will take it from there, probably transferring to a container to be shipped overseas. They may make a stop along the way to have the VIN re-keyed. At some point, CAN-bus will be used to flash a new set of keys.

Now, as far as accident notification. I don't remember the last time I drove on a completely deserted road, with nobody around. If there's an accident, at least a dozen of people will call the police to let them know attention is needed.

At $250/year, SOS notification is hardly a bargain. And somehow, we all survived all these years without it.

Well, fear sells, and sells well. As long as people can be scared, there's good fortune to be made.
Old 01-07-14, 08:23 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Is it possible to order sunglasses holder to replace this SOS light assembly?

I did something similar on ES330 but it was long time ago. Back then dealer was able to just order me that holder no questions asked. Do they do it now?

It is quite odd as I asked them about this credit card shaped key for my 2014 and they told me it is not even possible to order one as it 'must to come with the car and it is not even replaceable'.
I can only hope a sunglasses holder is not such a rare commodity.
I believe someone got a quote of about $700 for the parts.
It also needs to be verified how the Navigation system will react to the transmitter module being removed.
Old 01-07-14, 08:28 AM
utkinpol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I believe someone got a quote of about $700 for the parts.
not bad.
ok, it resolves the issue. google shows no aftermarket parts for this so, well, too bad.

I am not in such a need for it to go over junk yards to find one but it is odd they did it this way.

from what I know how it`s done in Toyotas this upper module is simply unpluggable and you can simply put regular holder in its place. Should not affect anything else, but, who knows. they could have done something else in 2014 model. Probably worth to complain to the Lexus about it, may be they will eventually listen.
Old 01-07-14, 09:16 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

If you carry a cell phone it is never a secret as to where you are.
Old 01-07-14, 12:52 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
If you carry a cell phone it is never a secret as to where you are.
Even your vehicle keeps track of your travels:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...TO01/301070017
Old 01-07-14, 01:05 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread took a left turn way back when....

Thankfully we can use the SOS feature to get us back on track..... LOL, sorry couldn't resist.

Old 01-07-14, 01:40 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
This thread took a left turn way back when....

Thankfully we can use the SOS feature to get us back on track..... LOL, sorry couldn't resist.

Really difficult to keep a thread like this one on any kind of track, even with SOS. However, this thread makes me really glad we have an early 2010 RX without all that junk (which I personally believe to be nearly worthless) and we have a useful sunglasses holder instead, which my wife actually uses.
Old 01-07-14, 01:48 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RickC5
Really difficult to keep a thread like this one on any kind of track, even with SOS. However, this thread makes me really glad we have an early 2010 RX without all that junk (which I personally believe to be nearly worthless) and we have a useful sunglasses holder instead, which my wife actually uses.
Agreed, but didn't want to keep the conspiracy theory trend going so tried to inject a tiny bit of humor. 1/3 wants Big Brother watching, 1/3 wants Big Brother watching for free, and the remainder (my group) feel it's redundant if you own a cell phone.
Old 01-07-14, 04:27 PM
austinav
Rookie

Originally Posted by ktintx
Mine just recently went to red on my RX 350 and I haven't had the service for 2 years. I took it in and they said the transmitter or something is bad and it would be 2k to fix it. I said to disconnect it and clip the wires b/c I don't want the red light on all the time. He said he couldn't b/c it would send a signal that something is wrong.....but I told him that you just told me the transmitter didn't work? I don't have the service so it shouldn't do anything. I'm not paying 2k to fix something that I've never used (I got 1 year free evidently and never knew it).

Is that right? Can they just disconnect it? Sounds like I'll be calling Lexus to see.....
Yup, I took out this worthless piece of electronics ( I am based in Cambodia), there is a connector, unplugged it and every start up of car. there is a warning voice over the speaker.... So i connected it back.

But it is just internal warning, there should be 1 or 2 wires (from the connector) that send signals to the car's on board computer and not really from the lexus service. If someone is good in reading electrical diagrams where to operate on the warning wires, I will gladly modify it and put a sunglasses holder there.