RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Timing cover leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-15, 08:43 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove the engine to fix a leak from the timing cover (perhaps)? Ugh...
Old 10-08-15, 09:55 AM
glerobi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad Design cause

Originally Posted by lexus_ls
I have a 13 RX350 with 10,000 miles with a side engine oil leak. I looked underneath and I think it's the timing chain cover seal. Took it to the dealer and they put dye in my oil to figure out where the leak is coming from. They suspect it to the timing chain cover as well. I am aware that 07 ES350s had a know oil leak coming from the timing chain cover but haven't heard anything about the RX having this issue. Has anyone else had this issue? I filed a complaint with Lexus corp because this is a brand new car and it should not be leaking. My service rep said they would have to remove the engine to fix the leak.
My 2012 RX350 had 30K miles when this issue appeared.
Old 10-09-15, 04:45 AM
user 538292
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had our 10' RX with ~73k miles in a couple of weeks ago for a small oil leak. End up being the head gasket! Thank God for the CPO extended warranty we bought for it. It's basically paid for itself. They replaced both head gaskets and about 14 others while doing the work. At the same time I had them replace the stock spark plugs while they had the heads out. Just charged me for the plugs.

Like a new engine now!
Old 10-14-15, 11:01 AM
Dih5024
Driver School Candidate

Default Picked up a new RX and now have issues

Hello everybody, I just picked up a 2015 RX350 Craft line from the dealer over this past weekend. Love the car but as I was driving it I noticed that there is a vibration coming from the rear passenger wheel. So I took it back to Lexus and they told me the rotors were rusted and that they would replace them. I then got a call from the service adviser telling me there are signs of oil leak and they suspect that its around the timing chain cover. He did mention that these cars seems to have that issue and that they are experienced in getting it corrected. Now my questions to you guys would be, since this is a new car how should I handle the situation due to owning the car for less than a week. Should I allow them to just make the repairs and move on with the warranty I have or should I request for a new vehicle (Or is that too extreme)? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Old 10-14-15, 11:10 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dih5024
Hello everybody, I just picked up a 2015 RX350 Craft line from the dealer over this past weekend. Love the car but as I was driving it I noticed that there is a vibration coming from the rear passenger wheel. So I took it back to Lexus and they told me the rotors were rusted and that they would replace them. I then got a call from the service adviser telling me there are signs of oil leak and they suspect that its around the timing chain cover. He did mention that these cars seems to have that issue and that they are experienced in getting it corrected. Now my questions to you guys would be, since this is a new car how should I handle the situation due to owning the car for less than a week. Should I allow them to just make the repairs and move on with the warranty I have or should I request for a new vehicle (Or is that too extreme)? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
You won't have a choice.
Get a loaner and get the RX repaired.
Old 10-14-15, 11:12 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

Congratulations on the new ride. That is what the warranty is for. I would let them repair it and get on with your life. It may be difficult to find an exact replacement as it is a Craft line and no more 2015s are being made. I think they will be very reluctant to replace it, but if you must find out, it never hurts to ask. I would just fix it and drive. Those are minor issues that will not affect the longevity of the vehicle.
Old 10-14-15, 03:04 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was in same boat as you. 3k miles new my damn cat went bad and had to be replaced. But I'm happy as ever now
Old 10-14-15, 03:06 PM
felix168
Rookie

Thank you
you meant to tell me that the dealer didn't do a final check-through before handing you the cars to a new car?
Old 10-14-15, 03:07 PM
felix168
Rookie

Originally Posted by greeknasty
I was in same boat as you. 3k miles new my damn cat went bad and had to be replaced. But I'm happy as ever now
yeah, but one would rather deal with the cat than the timing chain cover... just saying
Old 10-14-15, 04:57 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by felix168
yeah, but one would rather deal with the cat than the timing chain cover... just saying
at least they know the issue. the code that kept coming up for me took me 4 trips to the dealer and a total of almost 2 months before they figured out and swapped the cat. first they said i filled up the gas too high (which i didnt) then they said i didnt have the cap on good enough..then the o2 sensors..and finally they decided to swap cats. you want to talk about annoyed...
Old 10-14-15, 06:21 PM
Dih5024
Driver School Candidate

I definitely know that Lexus would back up its product and do whatever it takes to correct the situation. I am just frustrated that its a brand new car and I have to go back and forward to handle this situation. I did test drive the car but unfortunately that brake sound doesn't come on unless I roll up all windows and absolute silence. Since I am still within a week I was just wondering what is the policy as far as requesting for a new vehicle.
Old 10-15-15, 05:07 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I definitely know that Lexus would back up its product and do whatever it takes to correct the situation. I am just frustrated that its a brand new car and I have to go back and forward to handle this situation. I did test drive the car but unfortunately that brake sound doesn't come on unless I roll up all windows and absolute silence. Since I am still within a week I was just wondering what is the policy as far as requesting for a new vehicle.
If the dealer won't do a swap with a new RX which they probably won't.
You will have to go Lemon Law and your RX doesn't qualify at this point.
Old 10-15-15, 01:59 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Common problem with cars in the states - they sit at the dealer too long, hence the rust on rotors etc. That car could be up to a year old even though its "new"
Old 10-16-15, 10:54 AM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll just leave this here:
Should you become unhappy with the process, it's astounding how quickly things get straightened out when you call 800-25LEXUS.

Please let us know how it goes.
Old 10-16-15, 09:20 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Over ten years of Lexus Ownership LS and RX. I've had several problems fixed to my satisfaction, i.e.
Lexus replaced an A/C motor humming in the dash in my LS 430
Lexus replaced leather driver's seat due to crack in leather, LS
Lexus replaced all the floor rugs as the driver's side rug had a bad fit, LS
Lexus replaced the transmission in 13,000? LS 430s and tendered a $200 Chevron gift card for the inconvenience
Lexus replaced the valve springs in all LS 460s one year as problems had occurred in a few.
Lexus replaced a tire that got damaged in sidewall when nearly new.
Lexus has always fixed any deficiency under warranty to my satisfaction and provided a loaner car.....

Quick Reply: Timing cover leak