RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 RX350 Navigation software + POI question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-13, 11:02 AM
NorthGa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Well, there it is. Tell Lexus Customer Service your Garmin device, which also uses the NAVTEQ map database, gets it right while your RX does not. Keep on them.

I have decided to give it a try. I have composed a 'note of inquiry' to Lexus Customer service. The worst that can happen is a 'NO'.
Old 08-22-13, 02:37 PM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, there it is. Tell Lexus Customer Service your Garmin device, which also uses the NAVTEQ map database, gets it right while your RX does not. Keep on them.
After reading all these posts on this subject just makes it that much easier for me to not order the Lexus Navigation on my 2014 purchase and stick with my good ole Garmin with the free lifetime updates. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-22-13, 04:20 PM
NorthGa
Rookie

Exclamation In all fairness

In all fairness I am under the impression the Nav system works as well as any on the market.....in the large metro areas. I am also under the impression as long as I am on the 'major' highways (interstates) this Nav system will work as well as any on the market. The problem, if that is what I should call it, is navigating in rural areas (areas of low details). I will find out this week-end??
Old 08-22-13, 05:18 PM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by azinn
After reading all these posts on this subject just makes it that much easier for me to not order the Lexus Navigation on my 2014 purchase and stick with my good ole Garmin with the free lifetime updates. Just my 2 cents.
Navigation helps with the resale value. Who wants to buy a 50K vehicle without it?
Old 08-22-13, 06:17 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by azinn
That is one route available to you. Am not going to knock those who purchase these built-in systems. Just the included rearview camera is worth it to many with small children.

For me they do not make a lot of sense. Once installed you are stuck with what you have purchased -- you are stuck with that generation of equipment and software. The technology available in current smartphones and portable GPS-only units is superior in many ways, constantly updated and in many cases free or already included in your package.
Old 08-22-13, 07:01 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFWes
Navigation helps with the resale value. Who wants to buy a 50K vehicle without it?
IMHO, I really do agree with you. I try to stay quiet most of the time when people express opinions on the optional Lexus Nav. There are lots of options and many opinions -- just as there are with what is the best color of one's car. Is the Lexus Nav and Infotainment system the best IMO if I consider only that as a standalone thing? No. My new 2014 MBZ SLK is absolutely superior with its built-in optional COMAND in many ways, even after just 2 weeks of experience with it, opposed to approaching 20 years evolving and owning the Lexus versions. The MBZ has many of the same issues we complain about with Lexus compared to standalone dedicated GPS units, including expensive updates to the map database, and others complain the database is not current enough on the MBZ forums. The reality for me though, is in totality, Nav, Infotainment and all the rest of the vehicle, I would still buy another RX450h today as I did with my 2013. Nav and Infotainment are just one part of the whole equation -- and compromise -- when I look at any vehicle I may purchase.

The thing for me though, is while my iPhone may provide better mapping when I have data connection, I do not (for me) at all like having another device that I have to deal with and take my focus off of my driving experience. To each their own in that regard as long as their perhaps momentary inattention does not cause me or someone else a problem on the road. I very much agree that from a resale perspective, there are a lot of buyers including myself that would not consider a RX without built-in Nav. That would be an interesting thing for the poster to consider. There are also other functions packaged with the Nav that are valuable to me, that would not exist if I purchased an RX without Nav, including my ability to have the optional HUD which for me has become a must-have now that I have it on my 2013 RX450h. Having MPH and the next Nav graphic displayed as a hologram in front of the road in front of me is convenient and just plain excellent IMO. I wish my SLK had HUD, but MBZ is playing catchup with Lexus on that technology and won't have it for another year or two at least. I will be happier when mfgrs offer an integration of built-in Nav with something via data connection if one has that available to them.

I get the point the OP is on with the Lexus Nav not perhaps having mapping data for the area he frequents. I can't offer a lot more help for the situation he's in unfortunately. It's a real bust for him I'm sure and I won't try to defend Lexus on the situation he's in. However, when I lived in Marietta, GA 10 years or so ago, and had a new SC430 and RX300, it took several years for my new subdivision and home that I built there to appear on the Lexus (Navteq) Nav database ... and that was after I had moved back to the West Coast and sold my home just outside of Atlanta -- hardly a rural area. I learned my own personal lesson back then with that, as I have other things that are important to me in my rides over the years, and have included putting my home address and a couple others into the Nav of every car I've test driven since to ensure the general areas I frequent are there before I purchase, or at least have it as a point I can understand because of that situation way back when. While the home I live in now is more than 30 years old, in a well established community between San Diego and Los Angeles -- both within the top 8 largest cities in the US, I did the test anyway with my home address in the MBZ before I placed my order for my new 2014 this past January. We all learn something from our experiences. That was one of mine. Hopefully the OP does not find lack of Nav data in his RX for his rural location to be such a disappointment that overrides all the other great things I'm sure he'll enjoy in his new ride that is still one of the overall best in the market today.
Old 08-23-13, 05:33 AM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That is one route available to you. Am not going to knock those who purchase these built-in systems. Just the included rearview camera is worth it to many with small children.

Lexus Display Audio/Backup Camera Package, 7.0-inch color LCD multi-information console display on upper console is available without the Navigation Package which I will order.
Old 08-23-13, 06:21 AM
NorthGa
Rookie

Originally Posted by NorthGa

I have decided to give it a try. I have composed a 'note of inquiry' to Lexus Customer service. The worst that can happen is a 'NO'.
Lexus has been very prompt with acknowledging my inquiry. It has been sent to 'someone' to evaluate and to 'call me' within the next 5 days. Additionally I have done some more 'experimenting' and have been able to get the NAV to make my 'HOME' to the foot of my driveway. It took some fangling but was able to learn how to move the 'pointer' around and pin point the spot. Soooooo, with more time I may get this thing to navigate around my 'rural' North Georgia and south North Carolina areas. I ditto all the comments regarding the Audio, Camera that is part of the NAV system. Yes, resale is an important consideration........but I keep my vehicles 8 years +/- so not sure that will play a part or not?
Old 08-23-13, 07:06 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

FYI, I also have one of the earlier 2013 builds. My Nav is out of date and I had the corporate approve the upgrade for free. Just need to schedule an appointment. I didn't yet, as more often than not, I go for my iPhone to find where I'm going. Siri works and Lexus voice recognition only knows one useful response: Pardon?
The factory Nav is pretty useless and antiquated compared to hand-helds, but in line with other OEMs. It is not user-friendly either. Sometimes, I wish I could get to their source code to make it more usable.
Old 08-26-13, 09:08 AM
NorthGa
Rookie

Originally Posted by NorthGa

In all fairness I am under the impression the Nav system works as well as any on the market.....in the large metro areas. I am also under the impression as long as I am on the 'major' highways (interstates) this Nav system will work as well as any on the market. The problem, if that is what I should call it, is navigating in rural areas (areas of low details). I will find out this week-end??
The week-end use of the NAV system was a very good experience. The Garmin I own is a few years old but has been kept up to date etc. etc.... and was proving to be a 'tad' more helpful in my rural setting. But this week-ends jaunt to Atlanta proved the Lexus NAV system to be much superior in the Metro area. I won't go into details but suffice it to say the NAV was a joy to use vs. the Garmin......in this situation. I strictly used the 'voice' command to make my 'destination'(s). I am wondering tho if I had used the 'manual' input had I been offered 'choices' to chose from to pick my route? When I go to Illinois in a couple of weeks I guess I'll 'play' to see if I get some choices to chose from? I know which is the best route but sometimes mapping services (Google Maps, MapQuest, and even Garmin seem to think 'they' know best. I hope I get to chose but if I don't I have discovered the NAV System without hesitation picks up on 'my' choice and routes me to where I am going/chosen. Time will tell.

I am still waiting on Corporate on whether they will give me an update on my software.
Old 08-26-13, 09:18 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good to hear. Yes, 3 different route possibilities, assuming there are multiple ways to get to your destination. Spend a little time with the manual before your trip and I bet you'll find more things to try out.

I'm very impressed you got the voice command to work with Nav -- I'm actually a bit jealous -- as my last 2 Lexi do not comprehend my voice 99% of the time and I gave up on my 2013 after a few weeks trying to adapt my voice to my truck, and just use the manual controls once again. (Interestingly perhaps, my new MBZ does a super fabulous job knowing what I'm saying -- I've not had one "Pardon?" from it yet, so I'm practicing it's vocabulary to streamline our communication a bit. )
Old 08-26-13, 11:10 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

NorthGA,

Just a couple of suggestions:

1) When offered the three routes, avoid the shortest until you are more familiar with the system. Shortest will a nice, often scenic route, more often a route you wonder why you are taking it because it seems so off of the main routes.

2) As Bert has indicated, join Lexus Drivers. It's been a while since I joined, but I don't remember if you need your VIN or not. So you may find it handy to have your VIN available. Once you join, when you enter your user name and password, the site becomes tailored to you. Especially if you search the on-line manual, the manual is the manual for your year and model of Lexus. You can also become familiar with eDestination,which gives you the ability to use your computer to search for destinations and then send them to your navigation system via your internet connection.
Old 08-26-13, 11:59 AM
jat8147
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by go3Ds
The problem with the 12.1 map updates is they were delayed for the GEN7 Navigation on the 2013's until January 2013, long after many of us bought our 2013's. (Updates for non 2013"s were available in the fall of 2012). You may, or may not, get a "goodwill" map update from Lexus, but you are right, Lexus needs to come up with a solution, such as 1 free map update within one year of new car purchase. Would kind of draw the line in the sand for all concerned. Wouldn't be such an issue if it didn't cost an arm and a leg for the updates. Each map version is already about a year behind, as they are finalized in September of the previous year before release.
I own an early build 2013 RX 450h with a 2011 maps. Lexus customer service has given me a free map update for whenever I wish to have it installed. There is no expiration date on this update. I will wait a few years until I utilize this update.
Old 08-26-13, 01:07 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
Good to hear. Yes, 3 different route possibilities, assuming there are multiple ways to get to your destination. Spend a little time with the manual before your trip and I bet you'll find more things to try out.
Originally Posted by DunWkg
NorthGA,

Just a couple of suggestions:

1) When offered the three routes, avoid the shortest until you are more familiar with the system. Shortest will a nice, often scenic route, more often a route you wonder why you are taking it because it seems so off of the main routes.

2) As Bert has indicated, join Lexus Drivers. It's been a while since I joined, but I don't remember if you need your VIN or not. So you may find it handy to have your VIN available. Once you join, when you enter your user name and password, the site becomes tailored to you. Especially if you search the on-line manual, the manual is the manual for your year and model of Lexus. You can also become familiar with eDestination,which gives you the ability to use your computer to search for destinations and then send them to your navigation system via your internet connection.
NorthGA, I'd add going into nav and changing some of the settings. You can tell it to avoid certain roads (i.e. toll roads) though it may take you out of the way. There's also the ability to program speeds for the different road types. That's important since it affects arrival time. You can also use Lexus Enform. The beautiful part about it is the operator can override your current destination or add it. I've used it a few times, once during an emergency. It's worth it IMO. Finally, if you happen to drive "off course," the nav system will automatically reroute you and change the arrival time. This way you can drive the roads you prefer instead of what nav tells you. I reserve it for the scenic drive home.

Other things you can do to customize nav include displaying your turns in a split screen with the map and adding POIs to the map (by category, name, etc.). It's best to spend time sitting in the driveway with the manual and fliping through the screens. Don't worry, it becomes intuitive after time.

I'm glad you had a better experience with nav over the weekend, especially using voice commands. I don't use it often because my experience has been along the lines of BertL's. I'm fine with that because there are ways to work around it.

To answer your question about whether nav is worth it after eight years. The answer is absolutely. There's so much integrated into the system. It's not just about maps. I got about half the cost back when I traded my six-year old 330. I never updated it either.

Keep us posted on whether the dealer agrees to provide the update. It sounds promising.

Last edited by kitlz; 08-26-13 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-26-13, 01:44 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

NorthGA,
I'll give my 2 cents on the Detailed Navi settings kitlz mentioned. As for my speed settings,I have mine set for: Residential 25mph, Main 55mph, and Freeway 65mph. Others I'm sure will differ!!! I set the freeway setting a little low, as I am going to get the freeway route as one of the choices no matter what. Time still usually comes out about right on long trips, even with driving 70-75, as I have to give the dog a good walk when we stop for gas or anything else. The lower setting also seems to trigger some great choices for alternative routes, especially by setting the "Main" to 55mph. Many of the "Main" secondary roads are much shorter, with excellent speed limits, few trucks, and more scenic. Many are 4 lanes. I also check google maps before deciding on which route to put in the Navi. Many times a not so obvious route can be shorter time wise and more enjoyable, but if you aren't sure, and don't have the time, better stick with "Preferred" route.! We have done very well with second choice routes, but also a few duds.
We travel 365 days per year in our 450h, with our address being a mail service box, and a climate controlled storage building in the middle of the country. We have been very happy with the Navigation system, and only very minor occasional issues with the extensive travel we have done the past 4 years, including lots of small towns, rural areas and even Canada. So far we have missed the rural of rural areas for no map guidance. POI's have also been very good. Our map pointer does get off the blue line route for new bridges, extensions, subdivisions and so on, but not an overall issue. We will update to 13.1 when it comes out, as we didn't get the 12.1 on our 2013, and currently have 11.1. Wouldn't be without the Navigation, along with everything else tied into it.

Quick Reply: 2013 RX350 Navigation software + POI question