RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Questions on 2013 Fsport model about options.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-13, 02:13 AM
CSSLDR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dolphin
I listened to the standard RX stereo.... not the ES....bad comparison IMO... RX struggles for speaker space. So the added 5 or 6 speakers on the ML is an improvement for sure. Just to be clear, the ML in the RX is not a killer stereo by any stretch....but for $999 upgrade, its well worth it... hell, a decent upgrade by 3rd party would be several thous. Sure, I would like it to be a bit louder and a stronger bass as others mentioned... a larger sub would provide the missing bass.. However, I would not be willing to give up any cargo space...

It appears ML system prevents volume from getting above the point where sound breaks up...so the volume with ML is not much greater than the factory, maybe the same...but sound quality is improved enough where i prob. will leave it alone.

Of course, not everyone cares about music..if you listen to talk, well, ML not worth it :-)
I agree - bad comparison.
I'm researching early as my Subaru lease comes due Nov. 1. If I have to order I would have time.
Thank you for your input. The bottom line, I still must listen to the ML in an RX.
Old 03-02-13, 07:10 AM
Cruzer1
Driver School Candidate

I ordered my Starfire Pearl 2013 F Sport August 5, 2012 and took delivery September 7, 2012. I was shocked at how quickly it got to the dealership. It is fully equipped with Nav, ML, HUD and BSM. This is my 2nd RX 350 as my first is equipped the same (w/o BSM). The car had to be ordered because dealer inventory cars here do not come with ML or HUD. I compared those equipped with and w/o ML and can hear the difference. Mainly the bass is a bit tighter and overall a tad clearer. I am very happy with the car.
Old 03-02-13, 08:14 AM
CSSLDR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cruzer1
I ordered my Starfire Pearl 2013 F Sport August 5, 2012 and took delivery September 7, 2012. I was shocked at how quickly it got to the dealership. It is fully equipped with Nav, ML, HUD and BSM. This is my 2nd RX 350 as my first is equipped the same (w/o BSM). The car had to be ordered because dealer inventory cars here do not come with ML or HUD. I compared those equipped with and w/o ML and can hear the difference. Mainly the bass is a bit tighter and overall a tad clearer. I am very happy with the car.
Thanks for the Info. Were you able to listen to a ML in an RX or did you just take the chance you'd like it and order it? There are no RX's from here (NJ) to SC with ML stereos.

Also, did the dealership discount as heavily on your ordered RX as they would with cars on the lot?

Last edited by CSSLDR; 03-02-13 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-02-13, 04:14 PM
Cruzer1
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I was able to compare RX's with and without ML at the local dealership when I purchased my 2010 RX 350 back in 2009. I was able to take both cars for a test drive the same day and used the same CD to clearly understand the difference. Although I did not purchase the model I test drove, I made up my mind that my RX had to have ML. For my 2010 RX I ended up finding a demo model in Cincy (I am from Central Ohio).

As for my 2013 RX F Sport, I did not get a big discount. As I recall it was $1000 off sticker. I used a different dealer (Lexus of Dayton) this time. The salesmen was totally awesome (Matt Karns)!
Old 03-04-13, 08:19 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was my experience from checking around.... dealers don don't deep discount special ordered cars. Seems sensless to me. A car on the lot is a risk for the dealer, a special ordered car with a deposit is a SURE SALE, a "no loose situation" as the deposits are usually non refundable. I had some dealers quote $600 over MSRP for special order RX, go figure, huh....

Like all things in capitalism, discounts are a function of supply vs. demand... when dealers get too many RX's building up on their lots, discounts will become steeper...if they are selling well, discounts much less. And, when the cars are hard to keep on the lots, MSRP+ is the norm. As frustrating as this is for us buyers, this is the "new car buying game"..... if u are very cost conscious, be prepared to play it out for max. value. It is wi$e, as lets face it, no matter what you pay for your RX, in 4 yrs, or whenever you re-sell, your RX value will be the same....so every $ saved now, stays in your pocket. Some of us can't handle excess haggling...

Very impressed with your 30 day special delivery car.... my guess is, they had one almost complete and a deal fell through, as the normal quoted time is 3-4 months, based on what time of the month you order... they have a cut-off around the 3rd week of the month.

I am starting to suspect also....it was my radar cruise option that forces a Japan build...was it worth the wait? YES !!! IMO, this option is a steal...it's perfectly executed, and not only is it an excellent safety feature, but IMO, more-so, a stress reliever on the freeways. It's as if, someone is driving for me...

As for ML.... the more I listen to it.... the more mediocre I rate it.... but again, I would NEVER settle for the factory stereo...I love music, and the factory radio was blah.....ML, a slight improvement... worth the $1k, but far from a GREAT sound system. Like most features of my RX, it's "good enough".... (except Radar Cruise, which is SUPERB) .... the RX really is a set of compromises, which fits the mid tier price category very well.

The first compromise is the obvious...it's not a car, and, it's NOT an SUV (evidenced by cargo space and cross bar max. spacing, allowing for tiny roof top cargo box).... the popularity of the RX is a result of the "well thought-out" compromises between the two. I would say the same for the rest of the RX. But with special ordering, you have the option make a base RX, ($40k) into a very luxurious and feature rich Lexus, albeit, at about 1.5x the base price. Considering Lexus is a low volume maker, I applaud their efforts to service all types of RX buyers. After a few months, I am very happy with my decision, although, the small cargo space has been hard at times...coming from a larger SUV....but 25mpg at the pump vs. 14mpg, well, it eases the pain of that compromise :-)

As for your decision with the ML...if you like music, just get it, cause its prob. impossible to install it after the car is built.... some things can only be done right at the factory...prob. many parts must be changed in addition to the added speakers....at that point, your only option would be to add speakers, amps, bass, etc., in which case, you can spend well in excess of $1k. So unless, you can give up a lot of space, and dont mind those extras sticking out, risk of theft, etc, well, get the ML now. The interior cargo area is so tight and compact, IMO, there really is not much area to put extra components, unless you never haul anything....

Last edited by Dolphin; 03-04-13 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-07-13, 10:42 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any chance of us seeing that gorgeous Mica Blue?
Never saw the RX in that color, except in pix...would love to see it if possible... thx...