RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 Remote Start +

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-12, 10:44 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2013 Remote Start +

Has anyone installed the 2013 Remote Start + ??

~ Cap
Old 11-27-12, 10:52 AM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by Capirato

~ Cap

Cap
Attached Thumbnails 2013 Remote Start +-remote-start.gif  
Old 11-27-12, 11:34 AM
RogersDA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I had it installed on the 2013 RX450h
Old 11-27-12, 12:30 PM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by RogersDA

Yes I had it installed on the 2013 RX450h
How do you like it ??

Tell us all about it.....

~ Cap
Old 11-27-12, 02:09 PM
RogersDA
Driver School Candidate

How do you like it ??

Tell us all about it.....

~ Cap
The install went fine - it was installed a few weeks after picking up the car.

The key fob works to start the car just fine.

The RES+ iPhone app blows. More on that in a bit. I'm out running a few errands right now.
Old 11-27-12, 02:34 PM
jmhenrie
Driver School Candidate

tried to have this installed and the dealer did not have a clue what it was until i should it to them on the Lexus Website. They quoted me $700 to install, then recommended i go to sound on wheels and let them install a simaler unit for $400. Sounds like a cool device would like to know how well it does work before i persue the install
Old 11-27-12, 06:27 PM
Capirato
Racer

~ Cap
2013 Remote Start +

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails 2013 Remote Start +-remote-.gif  
Old 11-27-12, 06:43 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Capirato,
Several of us here have third party cell phone remote starts installed, but I look forward to RogersDA's comments on the Lexus version.

The difficulty I had was integrating the third party security alarm with the Lexus unlocking system. The alarm would go off at the most inopportune times. So I tentatively recommend the Lexus system until we hear from RogersDA.
Old 11-27-12, 11:01 PM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by DunWkg

Capirato,
Several of us here have third party cell phone remote starts installed, but I look forward to RogersDA's comments on the Lexus version.

The difficulty I had was integrating the third party security alarm with the Lexus unlocking system. The alarm would go off at the most inopportune times. So I tentatively recommend the Lexus system until we hear from RogersDA.
DunWkg, the Remote Unit I'm asking about is for 2013 RX's.

They are not available for earlier versions.

~ Cap

Last edited by Capirato; 11-27-12 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-28-12, 06:13 AM
RogersDA
Driver School Candidate

Here are a few observations so far. Some of this is related just to the Lexus website, but as you need that to get RES+ I felt it appropriate to share. Key RES+ - specific comments are bolded.

Regarding the Lexus website - they need one consolidated location for all things - lexusdrivers.com (for example). I should not have to go to (a) lexusdrivers.com (which redirects to drivers.lexus.com), and/or go to the the not-too-easy-to-remember lexusenformappsuite.com with another username and password to use the Enform-based features. I also have to register AGAIN for RES+ (which could mean a different username for some people). Then I have to register AGAIN and create a username and password for EACH cell phone that is to use RES+. By my calculations that is at least 4 username and passwords. Lexus needs to get that figured out so that one username is all that is needed (including enabling the option to use the same username and password for each cell phone). I understand that corporate owners/fleet owners may need this degree of security, but give a simpler option for other consumers.

The RES+ site allows special characters in the password field when registering a phone, but special characters are not allowed for other passwords. That is an annoyance.

The time it takes to use the various features on the RES+ app on the iPhone is huge. Logging in took 40+ seconds,which is not acceptable for a paid service. It also took about 40 seconds to perform any task such as start, stop, lock, and/or unlock the car. Again, this is not acceptable for a paid service.

Trying to use some of the RES+ features on my iPhone would randomly show an error message that the feature (start, lock) can't be used, even when the car is 25 feet away and outside. Other times the features would work fine. I will get the screen grabs off my phone and try to post them here. Everything else on the iPhone works so I do not believe it is a coverage issue.

You should not have to login to the RES+ app, and then use your PIN code to operate any feature. All you should need is your pin code that gives you about 5 tries until the iPhone app is temporarily disabled for either (a) 5 to 10 minutes or (b) until you log on to the Lexus site and reenable the iPhone app.

The pin code for the RES+ app should have the option of 4-8 digits or characters so that it works in a similar manner to the iPhone's lock code.

Right now I do not believe that $65/year is an appropriate fee to use RES+. Maybe if the app' features worked in a few seconds as opposed to a few minutes, and maybe if I didn't get error messages then the cost may be worth it to someone.

Last edited by RogersDA; 11-28-12 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Added last two lines.
Old 11-28-12, 07:21 AM
DunWkg
Racer

DunWkg, the Remote Unit I'm asking about is for 2013 RX's.

They are not available for earlier versions.

~ Cap
Yep, I'm aware of that, however third party cell phone remote starts have been available for two years or more and offer similar, if not more, features than RES+. So Lexus is late and just getting to the party.
Old 11-28-12, 08:11 AM
DunWkg
Racer

RogersDA,

Thank you for the information. It seems things are done the "Lexus" way or really being cautious. The third party cell phone remote starts only require the master password be entered in the app just once and then you just enter your cell phone password to unlock the phone and then the app password and you're ready to go.

Not sure of the limitations of phones to cars or cars to phones. I kind of believe unlimited cars per app and unlimited phones per car. Although I would think there is a practical limit, I just haven't seen it shown anywhere.

I grabbed a stopwatch and performed a remote lock using a third party remote start with my '12 RX by starting the application, entering the password, issuing the command, receiving feedback and then closing the application in 24 seconds this morning. Launching the app, entering password and locating the car with the GPS function and closing the app took about 37 seconds. A couple more screens to work through on the app.

In the two different third party cell phone remote starts I have, it's not too unusual to have difficulty issuing commands due to errors. The suppliers seem to be vigilant tracking problems and seeking improvements to their services. Some they have no control over, such as your own cell service provider.

Distance is not an issue. Standing 25 feet away from the car will not improve service. The command goes from your phone to the service server somewhere on the planet and then back to your car. I don't believe commands go straight from the phone to the car, unless you are using the new bluetooth remote start. Then it's phone to car, of course then you have your bluetooth distance limitation, that may in some cases be better than the key fob to car remote start distance.

The $65 fee seems somewhere in the middle of the costs of third party cellular remote starts. The GPS features add considerably to the cost, but as you indicate long and convoluted procedures make the service undesirable.

Again, thank you for your evaluation of RES+. You bring to light many items not immediately apparent to interested buyers.
Old 11-28-12, 05:44 PM
RogersDA
Driver School Candidate

Here are some screen shots from my iPhone 4 showing the various error messages encountered this past week.

(1) A common occurrence - the app will not do its thing.

(2) Here I am trying to use the app to lock the car. No joy.

(3) One time, the car finder feature would not give any information at all. Just a black screen (there should be a circle and a directional arrow).

(4) One time I had the car started, but the screen failed to give me any information on it.

So - is it a problem with the app or a problem with the GPS on the car? I do not know.

Last edited by RogersDA; 11-29-12 at 04:50 AM.
Old 11-28-12, 06:15 PM
KBotwinick
Driver School Candidate

Too bad there isn't someone who has experience with both the RES+ and the third party ones. Or more people with RES+ experience to maybe give a contrasting opinion to RogersDA to see if his problems are general or specific to his car. They promised me RES+. I went in today and they installed CarLink by AudioVox. I go back tomorrow for them to fix it. Would love to have more info.

RogersDA, have you ever used a third party one? From what David said, it seems it's always going to take about 25-40+ seconds to do these actions since they are routed through a remote system (when using the phone app as opposed to the fob).

David, you say "third party cell phone remote starts have been available for two years or more and offer similar, if not more, features than RES+." What more features are you thinking of? I only looked at the CarLink app (since that's the one they installed by mistake today), but it seemed to have less functionality.

I like that the Lexus app will show me the temp by the car. Hopefully that's from the car sensor and not just from weather.com info based on the GPS location. I was kind of looking forward to very accurate local readings. But the CarLink app didn't seem to have any temp info at all.

And the CarLink app's locator seems to just show you the location on a map based on GPS, or start the car's horns and lights blaring. It seems to me that using the augmented reality of the Lexus app seems a much more elegant solution than just a dot on a plain map, or being annoying by setting off the cars horns and lights until I find it.

And it seemed like all the CarLink folks wanted the app to let them turn the car off, or at least give a status of whether it was currently running or not.

So I'm just curious. What additional functionality do other 3rd party starters/apps have that the Lexus doesn't?

Some other general questions/wish list:

1) It would be nice if it let you know when the car reached the desired temperature.
2) It would be nice if it didn't auto turn off in 10 minutes, but instead let you decide to continue or not with a push notification dialog on the phone. Maybe you're defrosting from under an avalanche and 10 minutes won't cut it.
3) Do hybrids require the use of the gas engine to heat the car? Or can that be done off the battery? I love the idea of being able to warm my car up every morning before I get in, while not using any gas to do so...
Old 11-28-12, 06:27 PM
KBotwinick
Driver School Candidate

RogersDA, where were you parked when the app wasn't working? They specifically say it might not work if you're in a parking garage, etc., where the line of sight to the GPS is blocked...

Quick Reply: 2013 Remote Start +