RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Show me your phone mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-17, 06:40 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbalance
why is it so hard to find a black. 3ft black iPhone cable

It's not hard at all. The search terms I used were "black 1m iphone cable", and Google listed a bunch of potential sources within a second.
Old 08-13-17, 04:18 PM
F250
Lead Lap

Well, I used the ipow mount yesterday on a short day trip, and found the phone position closer to my face than what i used to, and that really didn't seem very pleasant at first, but I got used to it. I actually discovered, too, that while resting my hand on the shift ****, the phone is in the perfect position for occasionally tapping the appropriate Waze icon for road hazard notification or validation. The mount was rock solid, and i'm very pleased with it being such a simple and low cost solution.
Old 08-15-17, 02:10 AM
alisher
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys, be careful with mount installed into CD-slot, it could tear curtain (or whatever is it there) which prevents dust from entering inside CD-player. I had bad experience on my previous car.
The following users liked this post:
F250 (08-16-17)
Old 08-15-17, 01:58 PM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by alisher
Guys, be careful with mount installed into CD-slot, it could tear curtain (or whatever is it there) which prevents dust from entering inside CD-player. I had bad experience on my previous car.
I cannot remember the last I used a CD
Old 08-16-17, 06:23 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Good point, alisher, and thanks for tossing it out for consideration. In my case, my wife does use her CD player quite a bit, and I made sure to let her get all 6 discs loaded before I inserted the phone mount. Still, my use of the phone mount is a minimal percentage of time that the car is driven. My wife won;t use it as she works hard to avoid any phone use at all while driving, and I'll only use it when we're getting on the road for at least an hour, and that will be less than a dozen times per year.
Old 08-18-17, 03:01 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 240 Likes on 173 Posts

I saw this mount via the Techbargains web site and thought of this thread. Hope it's not old news.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5YG1WX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2FPCD3LFO8620&tag=tbdirect-20&ascsubtag=94d72448-f6bf-4202-9cd3-ff6496f47583 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5YG1WX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2FPCD3LFO8620&tag=tbdirect-20&ascsubtag=94d72448-f6bf-4202-9cd3-ff6496f47583
Old 08-18-17, 04:38 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Pretty sure the police would take a dim view of cutting off a significant amount of forward view. I use the Anker CD slot mount, though I did have to attach additional pieces of rubber to make the feet fit solidly in the slot.
Old 08-18-17, 05:10 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 240 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
Pretty sure the police would take a dim view of cutting off a significant amount of forward view. I use the Anker CD slot mount, though I did have to attach additional pieces of rubber to make the feet fit solidly in the slot.
I'm just passing on what I sw somewhere. But I can't see how it's any different that windshield mounted GPS's or radar detectors.
Old 08-21-17, 09:27 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
I'm just passing on what I sw somewhere. But I can't see how it's any different that windshield mounted GPS's or radar detectors.

^^^ That was my first thought as well.
Old 08-21-17, 10:22 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't some states make it illegal to have any stuck to your windshield ?
Old 11-14-17, 11:06 AM
RX330AWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which smartphone CD mount is compatible with 3rd gen RX?

There are a myriad of them on Amazon like
this this
but I'm not sure if it will make a good hold in the CD slot of 3rd gen RX450h. Anyone use something like this? Magnetic ones in particular.
Old 11-16-17, 03:03 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BATsTM
Also checked out the Pro Clips... meh, and won't work with the iPhone Plus' size.
Works just fine with my 7 Plus and my wife's 6s Plus. We have the Console Mount that clips to the right of the shifter. I'd really prefer a Panavise bracket but they don't make anything for the 3RX like they did for our 2RX.
Old 11-17-17, 05:58 AM
chrispy
Forum Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330AWD
There are a myriad of them on Amazon like this but I'm not sure if it will make a good hold in the CD slot of 3rd gen RX450h. Anyone use something like this? Magnetic ones in particular.
Amazon Amazon

This is by far the best magnetic mount I've used. It's smaller so you can move it to the right or left inside the CD slot if you want the phone closer or further away from you. Also the design isn't as bulky and snaps on and off very easily. Also doesn't seem to damage the CD slot at all.
Old 03-14-18, 07:26 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispy
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016GNYZIC..._t1_B00DPMNNUO

This is by far the best magnetic mount I've used. It's smaller so you can move it to the right or left inside the CD slot if you want the phone closer or further away from you. Also the design isn't as bulky and snaps on and off very easily. Also doesn't seem to damage the CD slot at all.
OK, this is where I started. Super good magnet and held very well! After a few weeks, I took it out to see the condition of the CD slot. It looked to be bent up a bit and I didn't want to risk any long term damage....but loved the magnet!

So I got the same one but it attaches to the vent instead. The only main thing on mounting...the pic shows it in the middle of the vent. Much better if it's on the lowest vent blade and the round/circle resting on the bottom of the vent edge to provide some additional support. Works very well! So much so, I bought a second one for my Suburban.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 03-14-18, 07:40 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Now, fast forward a few months.....Mount is still great, but I keep seeing my wife plugging in her iPhone 7 constantly and her battery is just terrible. Doesn't help when she doesn't plug it in overnight! So I started exploring for a wireless charger and holder at the same time. Just trying to make it easiest for her.

I bought her a wireless, extended battery pack for her iPhone 7plus and this wireless/vent charger. Mounted the same way as the vent clip, just has a charger built in too!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Makes it easier for her to place phone there for ease, and also charges while driving!

The only difference between this wireless charger and the previous one.....is the magnet. The wireless charger is not quite as strong, but still holds it very well. The "non-wireless" magnet sucked the phone right on firmly!! The newer "wireless charger" one still grabs it good...just not as forceful as the other.

Liked is so much, exchanged it out on my suburban too. Now my Motorola Droid (with battery pack MOD) and her iPhone 7+, can both be charged in either vehicle.

The iphone's need the extra metal plate (which came with all holders) to make it attach. I just stuck it to the inside of her battery pack so it's not visible outside. The Motorola works great, either with battery pack or without (does not need the extra metal plate in either case). Can I say I love my Motorola! Dang iphones!

Pic with iPhone is my daughter's one and doesn't have the metal plate. Just held there for a pic so people can see the size, etc.

Quick Reply: Show me your phone mount