RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Show me your phone mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-17, 01:28 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

That sucks! But it is what it is.
Old 07-11-17, 04:51 PM
xrob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD slot mount?

Revisiting this thread too. Trying to find a CD-slot mount for a 2010 RX. The problem I have been coming across is that the CD slot is very wide and most 3rd party mounts do not work. My wife doesn't want to block the vent and was happy with a CD mount in her old car (she is getting the RX now). Any recent recommendations on Amazon? I've been reading through the reviews and most say the same thing: doesn't fit the Lexus wide cd slot. Any and all help you have would be most appreciated. Thanks!

RH
Old 07-11-17, 08:28 PM
BenRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the CD-mount I have for a 2015 model. Works well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PC29ETE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PC29ETE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-11-17, 09:21 PM
BATsTM
Driver School Candidate

Picked up my [new to me] Lexus RX 350 (2013) in Starfire Pearl /Ivory Interior [yes, I have no kids] from the dealer 2 weeks ago. From the time i test drove it, the one thing haunted me. "Where do i mount my iPhone 7 Plus?" It does not fit in the center console (cell phone "tray"), normal mounts won't work without long arms and are ugly. I don't want to stick anything to the dash and I dislike "Vent Mounting". Also checked out the Pro Clips... meh, and won't work with the iPhone Plus' size.

2 weeks of research and finally came across a phone mount from Belkin. I'm currently using it an loving it. Figured "cup holder... cup holder mount"
Amazon Amazon
(usually cheaper at Staples)

It sits far enough from the vent to allow the AC to bounce off the window. Not perfect, but will do for now, until I get more creative. [NB, would work a LOT better with a regular sized iPhone]

A bit disturbing that after almost 4 years, there is no perfect solution.
Old 07-12-17, 04:47 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BATsTM
Picked up my [new to me] Lexus RX 350 (2013) in Starfire Pearl /Ivory Interior [yes, I have no kids] from the dealer 2 weeks ago. From the time i test drove it, the one thing haunted me. "Where do i mount my iPhone 7 Plus?" It does not fit in the center console (cell phone "tray"), normal mounts won't work without long arms and are ugly. I don't want to stick anything to the dash and I dislike "Vent Mounting". Also checked out the Pro Clips... meh, and won't work with the iPhone Plus' size.
I
2 weeks of research and finally came across a phone mount from Belkin. I'm currently using it an loving it. Figured "cup holder... cup holder mount" https://www.amazon.ca/Belkin-Car-Holder-Mount-Smartphones/dp/B00NL7GTXG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499831612&sr=8-1&keywords=belkin+cup+mount
(usually cheaper at Staples)

It sits far enough from the vent to allow the AC to bounce off the window. Not perfect, but will do for now, until I get more creative. [NB, would work a LOT better with a regular sized iPhone]

A bit disturbing that after almost 4 years, there is no perfect solution.
holy fack $40 CAD, on Amazon.ca, $28 USD = $36 Cad on Amazon.com still a lot of cash to hold your phone

Last edited by Airbalance; 07-12-17 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-12-17, 04:49 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BenRX
This is the CD-mount I have for a 2015 model. Works well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
that looks not bad , can post a pix?
Old 07-12-17, 07:45 AM
BenRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbalance
that looks not bad , can post a pix?
The following users liked this post:
JATS (11-14-19)
Old 07-12-17, 10:16 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I just saw one of those MPOW units in use yesterday when going to lunch with one of our subcontractors. It fits my needs perfectly and keeps me from having to do all the customizing I had planned on. The only issue for me is that I have a large Motorola Z-Force in an Otterbox case (3.5" wide), so I have to get the larger "ipow" model. Still, its a great solution!! I'm ordering it today!!

EDIT... I just ordered the ipow model from Walmart... $8.99 with free shipping. Funny thing is that there was the exact same model from Walmart showing in a separate search for $11.99 with free shipping. Obviously, I chose the less costly option.

Last edited by F250; 07-12-17 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-12-17, 01:38 PM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Originally Posted by F250
I just saw one of those MPOW units in use yesterday when going to lunch with one of our subcontractors. It fits my needs perfectly and keeps me from having to do all the customizing I had planned on. The only issue for me is that I have a large Motorola Z-Force in an Otterbox case (3.5" wide), so I have to get the larger "ipow" model. Still, its a great solution!! I'm ordering it today!!

EDIT... I just ordered the ipow model from Walmart... $8.99 with free shipping. Funny thing is that there was the exact same model from Walmart showing in a separate search for $11.99 with free shipping. Obviously, I chose the less costly option.
bummer , they don't have it on the Canadian website
Old 07-12-17, 05:31 PM
BATsTM
Driver School Candidate

holy fack $40 CAD, on Amazon.ca, $28 USD = $36 USD on Amazon.com still a lot of cash to hold your phone
[found for $35 CDN (27USD) at staples, sent back the amazon one]
Old 07-13-17, 03:47 PM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Found a flat spot on the dash for my Iottie holder
Attached Thumbnails Show me your phone mount-image.jpeg  
Old 07-22-17, 06:42 PM
LuckyPants
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had an Anker CD-slot mount in my old 2004 RX, but as others have said the newer slot (my new one is a 2013) is too wide for some mounts. I picked up the MPOW mount but swapped out the phone holder for the one off the Anker. The MPOW was a little too close to the shifter for my taste, but the Anker holder sits just right.

And I have to be honest -- one of the reasons I went with the 2013 RX (other than that I love the RX's) was that I knew Icould use a CD slot phone mount without blocking anything important (radio, climate, display, etc.) on the dash...

Old 07-23-17, 05:14 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

with this location I can the sygic nav app, which has a dashcam setting in it
https://www.sygic.com/blog/2016/turn...gps-navigation
Old 07-24-17, 12:01 PM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I just got the ipow unit last weekend. On my initial install attempt, I pulled a huge DUHHH by installing the silicone rubber grip pads on the wrong side of the gripping surfaces. The unit would not hold in the CD slot at all so I just tossed the unit in the back seat until I could take some time to investigate further. It was only today at lunch that I realized I had placed the grip pads on the wrong surfaces, and when I moved them over... WOW... the unit is rock solid steady with a really firm grip and there is no interference at all with any of the dash panel controls for either the HVAC or stereo. I'm really pleased with my $9.00 unit. It is perhaps not as much fun as making my own, but I have enough things to do right now without that little piece of extra "fun". Since this is for me to use in my wife's RXh (she uses the CD player frequently and does not use her phone at all while driving), storing the unit requires taking it apart and tucking it into the glove box, but that's really not a big inconvenience at all for me.

I can highly recommend the ipow unit, at least from an initial install point of view. Time will reveal how well it stands up to long road trip use.

The picture below shows the unit's dimensions and features. Apparently, the one I bought is being replaced with a newer version which has a simpler spring-loaded tensioner feature instead of the thumb-screw tensioner, and the new one seems to be a few dollars more. I'll just see how well mine holds up over time. One thing to note is that the bottom ledge where the phone sits can be folded up completely, thereby allowing you to position the phone as high or low as necessary between the two side arms. With the bottom ledge folded "open", there is no slot of managing your power cord, but the grip is strong enough to where you really don;t need the bottom ledge at all.
Attached Thumbnails Show me your phone mount-ipow-cd-slot-phone-mount.jpg  

Last edited by F250; 07-24-17 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-25-17, 03:19 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

why is it so hard to find a black. 3ft black iPhone cable

Quick Reply: Show me your phone mount