RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

..Extended warranties...how many of you buy them?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-18, 08:34 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Extended warranty is just buying insurance. If you get to use it, you feel smart in purchasing it and if you have to shell out of pocket you curse yourself for not purchasing the coverage.

If you have 3 vehicles of reasonably good reliability then put 1,5x of the premium in the bank and only use it for the repairs if needed.

If you have less than 3, then it is more a matter of chance.

For insurers they cover vehicles in thousands and make money.

Breakdown can happen any time, but things get worn out above 100k miles.

Remember the cost quoted by Lexus is negotiable and you can purchase the extended warranty from any dealer in your home country. I would really look hard at the strength of any insurer other than Lexus. And you need to purchase it before the base warranty expires. Also check if the warranty can be transferred if and when you sell the vehicle.

Salim
Old 01-10-18, 09:13 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Worth is a highly subjective matter regardless of topic. It depends on the individual -- not the object itself. Some prefer the peace of mind of an extended warranty. Some prefer to save the money. As stated above, think of it like insurance. Consider that the house always wins (overall) which is why they offer it and that the RX is generally a reliable vehicle.

As for cost, you have to shop around at dealers. Cost will vary depending on the vehicle, coverage level and duration as well as the specific's dealer's markup.

Last edited by takeshi74; 01-10-18 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-11-18, 04:53 AM
BP1203
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought ours from Toby, who was recommended by everyone on the board:
tobytoyota@aol.com

Cost was $2060 for 8 years/100k. Car is at 70k. Had a leaking rear strut replaced so far. I bought the warranty because the thought of some of the electrical things in this car breaking, particularly the hatch motor or anything with the radio unit, scare the hell out of me. Looking back I would have put the $2060 in a Vanguard fund and just withdrew money for any costly repair-I would have come out really far ahead. But you're also paying for peace of mind, as other posters have stated.
Old 01-11-18, 06:53 AM
gameson
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the reply. the reason i asked is that i was quoted a very high price from the dealership.

I think the 3 years costs in low 2000, 4 years in mid 2000s, 5 years in high 2000s, and this is not Lexus warranty, it's United Auto Care

My personal opinion is if it's in $1000s, I would definitely buy it

May i know the market rate for extended warranties so I can think it over?

Thanks.
Old 01-11-18, 01:59 PM
BP1203
Rookie

Given the propensity of 3rd party companies going out of business, I would recommend if you're buying an extended, buy from the manufacturer-Lexus won't be going bankrupt or out of business anytime soon.
Old 01-11-18, 05:19 PM
gameson
Driver School Candidate

the one quoting me the United Auto Care (UAC) insurance is from the Lexus dealer itself, when I went there to ask question about extended warranties...

The Lexus one was offered at much higher price than the UAC one
Old 01-12-18, 09:08 AM
BP1203
Rookie

UAC would be a third party. Research them and see how long they've been in business.
Old 01-12-18, 10:41 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Lexus dealership has a boutique shop. They sell lot of stuff but we can not claim that it from Lexus.

Salim
Old 01-14-18, 08:49 AM
cwatx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BP1203
Given the propensity of 3rd party companies going out of business, I would recommend if you're buying an extended, buy from the manufacturer-Lexus won't be going bankrupt or out of business anytime soon.
I highly agree with this. It's extremely risky to buy extended warranty from 3rd party. Lexus will be more expensive, but you don't have to worry about them going under.
Old 01-16-18, 11:01 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

My Father purchased his 2012 RX350 with 64k used 3 or 4 months ago he purchased the UAC service contract
i think he paid for a 3-year 36k policy that covers almost every part of the vehicle like 2400
he had an electrical issue and a bad T-state took it to the Lexus dealer repairs where around 500 if memory serves me correct maybe 600
he just paid 100 for the deductible they repaired it no questions ask to cover the repair

5 years ago i purchased my 2007 Lexus ES350
with 42k on it
i purchased extended service contract from EFG simplicity 3 year 50k that covered almost everything on the car for 2800.
at about 70k the struts and shocks needed to be replaced they paid for those to be repaired also replace 1 lower control arm and front tie rod ends
and water pump during the policy period I feel I got my cost out of that.

then again 2 years latter when my policy was going to expire due to miles being hit at 50k I purchased another plan from them around 92k I think it was like 2400 for a power train plan with a few extra components covered options. for 5 year 100k coverage. from the same company EFG
about a month or 2 latter the alternator needed to be replaced dealership called them up told them what was wrong they paid with a credit card during that same phone call for the repair.
then a few months latter same dealership discovered front drive axle needed to be replaced on drives side EFg paid with credit card for that to be done at the Dealer but they send there own part.
then no issues issues for another 85k I was just thinking that ok so this contract I paid 2400 for they have paid about 1500 in repairs and I'm not upset about the other 900 that i didn't need to get out of it because it's like an insurance policy.
then end of Last month
I go in for Transmission issues internal Clutch problem needed a new transmission They send someone out to inspect the problem confirmed it was a covered problem send a used transmission that cost them 1400 paid the dealership another 1400 for the labor I feel I got my money out of these contracts.
if I didn't have 192k on my car now I would buy another contract but they won't sell me one with this miles and I'm probably going to buy another car in 3 or 4 months and when I do I will go with EFG company again.
Old 05-17-18, 12:23 PM
Mrlar
1st Gear

Default Warranty

WarrantyI’d like to buy a Lexus extended warranty from the dealer ships . But at the best price at the best deals I have a 2013 RX350 . I think my dealership is too high
Old 05-17-18, 02:53 PM
psinsyd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makes total sense.
Old 05-17-18, 03:10 PM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrlar
WarrantyI’d like to buy a Lexus extended warranty from the dealer ships . But at the best price at the best deals I have a 2013 RX350 . I think my dealership is too high
You should probably post this question in the RX forum vs. the GS forum. But, the folks on the forum will need more details such as the mileage on your car, whether you're the original owner, how much the dealer is charging and which warranty their offering you (i.e. Lexus extended warranty or a third party non-Lexus warranty). A lot of great folks here that can help, with just a bit more info.
Old 05-17-18, 06:30 PM
Fpan87
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought extended warranty- 75k or 6 years from a Toyota dealer for around $1,000 (Pretty worth it in my opinion)

So far I've warrantied the following:

1) shorted wall socket in arm rest
2) both rear shocks
3) front struts
4) front left stabilizer

But then again I live in the city where potholes are a norm, so if you live in the suburbs you probably wont be needing it.
Old 05-19-18, 12:20 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Shop around. You can buy actual Lexus (not 3rd party) warranties from other dealerships. This is pointed out in prior replies in this thread. I don't recall where we purchased our previous one from but it was done after searching online. You can probably find suggestions in this thread.

Last edited by takeshi74; 05-19-18 at 12:24 PM.

Quick Reply: ..Extended warranties...how many of you buy them?