RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New member dilemma between 2013 RX vs 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-12, 02:21 AM
crwooch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member dilemma between 2013 RX vs 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Hello folks,

I joined in a couple of days ago and here is my first post after looking for a new member's intro forum. I'll consider this my intro and also a post about my question.

First of all, I found this site about a year ago and have enjoyed visiting and reading posts since I have a 2007 RX. I currently live in the Middle East so maybe trims and options can be different.
Recently, I've decided to join this forum in a time when my current RX is due for a replacement. What better place than here to ask or read about useful information about the new RX or anything Lexus? I hope to see myself no matter whatever decision I take to keep logging on and joining in with all of you even though I'm not such a big gearhead.

My experience with the 2nd gen RX during the years have been a mixed bag until recently.
The things I liked about the RX was the smoothness, the luxury (though not LS luxury) compared to previous cars, the quietness, and the resale value that is high in this region. However, I disliked the numbness, no fun factor. Sometimes I wished or wanted a car that was more engaging. Whenever I saw an Infiniti FX I would compare and think about what if I had the FX instead. I thought that for my next car I'd seek something more sportier.

Recently the RX has started to age and although I've always had it dealer maintained it has cost me a lot for service and parts. Not too long ago I had 3 cylinders fail on me and had to take it to the dealers when it was just about 2 weeks after it had it's regular service. I then decided that it could be time to replace it since I've also a baby on the way in the next few months. The car is going to cost me more and more and compared to the US, I do not have a choice of going to other lexus dealers for service. Here it is one lexus dealer because the country is small. I wasn't fond of thinking about the car breaking down again in the near future with my wife and baby.

I have to admit though that the RX has served me well, good reliability until only recently and I got used to its personality. I like the smoothness and quietness of it and would value that more than a sportier and nosier car with a kid on the way. So I took a look at :
Infiniti FX (just wanted to take a look at it) - proved that the back seats are too small and small cargo space, firm ride.

BMW X5- pricier but was gonna try for it but found out that there'd be a totally new redesign for 2014-2015

Ford Explorer- liked the idea of a seven seater and the limited and sport trim. However the dealer stated they will not import the limited and sport.

Jeep - Grand Cherokee Overland. Compared to the US trim and options and here it is basically 3 trims offered. Limited, Overland, SRT8. I think the Overland here is the equivalent of the Overland Summit. 2012 model fully loaded 5.7l Hemi.

Lexus- 2013 RX. These got here about 2 weeks ago and I went for the launch event. Looked at the F Sport as well.

Out of these, I've come down to two, the RX fully loaded AWD and the GC Overland. I thought of the RX F Sport but have taken it off my list due to only one choice of interior color, no rear dvd, and no heated and cooled seats (having this option is a definite plus in this region's weather).
I did not have the opportunity for test drives as the GC (no models for test drives according to the salesman which was his best answer), the RXs were just new and had none for test drives as they weren't registered yet.

Since I have the 2nd gen RX, I can best assume about the new RX albeit changes, can guess that the driving experience isn't completely different. I liked what I saw in the interior, looked slick and futuristic and loved the HUD. I don't mind the driving experience anymore and now quite like the way the RX or Lexus in general handles. Because of the baby on the way, I'd like the car to be softer and quieter than a nosier sport tuned car. Just wish it had a bigger engine or the option.

I also like the grand cherokee as the car itself is so much improved than previous generations and the interior is comparable to other luxury brands. It's got bells and whistles. Read tons of reviews however didn't have the opportunity to experience it myself as no test drive was available. Don't know how fast the 5.7l hemi is compared to the RX, yes the engine is bigger but because of the GC's weight being heavier than the RX some of the stats online posted 0-60 being slower than the RX. Correct me if i'm wrong. Although gas prices is not a problem here I'd still hate to make frequent stops. Biggest question is the reliability of the grand cherokee or Jeeps in general, especially the current gen.

I drive around all day everytime for work and even if not for work the car is almost the only mode of transportation in my region. I'm not the typical race car driver but at times I do like to step on the gas. Since it is the Middle East there are chances of going off road but I find myself that I'd almost not go off roading except for climbing pavements.

So fellow Lexus fans, what is your take? The new RX or the Grand Cherokee. I'd much appreciate if you guys can shed some light with your opinions. Tell me something I don't know and have to know . Thank you all for your time.
Old 06-16-12, 04:02 AM
mjdevans
Driver School Candidate

Depends whether you drive offroad. The GC has low range gears, the RX hasn't. RX has more mpg than the GC but the point is fairly mute as you could fill either cars for approx us$ 30.
Personally I would go for the Jeep as we occasionally go camping in the desert.
Old 06-16-12, 04:41 AM
crwooch
Driver School Candidate

I don't go offroading especially with the RX. The only offroading I do is to go up on the pavements for parking (it's how it is here). If I had the GC I would have the option to go to the desert and do some offroading.

Here the dealer service for Lexus and Toyota is great with their new service center. I heard that the Jeep's dealer service is good too, but I'm not sure about the reliability of the GC itself. Reliability reviews for it is pretty scarce since the current gen has been out only since 2011.

The RX does seem to have a bigger cargo space than the GC.

Quite a difficult choice as one day I think of the RX and another day I think of the GC. If I go with the RX it would be my 2nd Lexus and RX and that's not bad cause it's a safe choice. On the other hand I like the GC to try out something different, rugged and more powerful.
Old 06-16-12, 04:55 AM
mjdevans
Driver School Candidate

Good info on th GC can be had here with the 2014 spec available from Jan 2013 http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=40291 Which me country are you residing in?
Old 06-16-12, 05:57 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My daughter and son-in-law, who have a 15 month old, just went through the Jeep/Lexus debate. (For me, there was NO debate, however, my son-in-law was in love with the Jeep). I sent them copies of CR reliability ratings (which is a clincher for me), but what finally did it for them in the end was cargo space (little ones require SO much stuff). The Lexus cargo area is MUCH bigger--roughly 14" wider (check out the big speaker/strut bumps in the Jeep. Bring a tape measure to the dealers and see for yourself. If you are a camper, this might be important.
Old 06-16-12, 08:01 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I have both a jeep GC and a RX in my garage, we have had jeep GC's since I was 12. We don't have the current model but we plan to get it soon. Both are fun to drive, the quality on both cars is great, ones a luxury car and the other is an offroader and cargo hauler for my dads business. The new GC combines both luxury and ruggedness for everyday driving. In regards to reliability of the jeep, we have had no problems with any of the ones we've owned. All have been trouble free, and all have been bought used. So to me that says alot. I personally considered a Jeep GC but parents wanted all luxury, plus we already have a GC. On a daily basis I see just as many Jeeps as I see RX's so ultimately it's ur choice. I vote Jeep GC. It's more masculine looking too, unless u get the RX F-sport.
Old 06-17-12, 12:04 AM
crwooch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mjdevans
Good info on th GC can be had here with the 2014 spec available from Jan 2013 http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=40291 Which me country are you residing in?
Thanks, I've checked it out and it seems like if they get a new tranny and other upgrades then it's not worth to buy the 2012 model now. When I asked the dealer when they'd get the new ones they said November or December but they're not 100% sure about it. And according to your link if sales launch is in Jan/Feb 2013 then it could be a couple of months before they get over here.

I live in Bahrain, a small island country right next to Saudi Arabia connected by bridge.
It's a haven for Saudis coming over for the weekend.

Last edited by crwooch; 06-17-12 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-17-12, 12:10 AM
crwooch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jclem
My daughter and son-in-law, who have a 15 month old, just went through the Jeep/Lexus debate. (For me, there was NO debate, however, my son-in-law was in love with the Jeep). I sent them copies of CR reliability ratings (which is a clincher for me), but what finally did it for them in the end was cargo space (little ones require SO much stuff). The Lexus cargo area is MUCH bigger--roughly 14" wider (check out the big speaker/strut bumps in the Jeep. Bring a tape measure to the dealers and see for yourself. If you are a camper, this might be important.
Cargo space, you have a point. With the baby coming the need for a stroller and what not to always be loaded in the car does need ample cargo space. Review specs does state that the RX has bigger space than the Jeep, but does it make such a big difference? I will take a measuring tape the next time I go. Amusingly, just from the looks the Jeep seems bigger than the RX because of the RX's slanted liftgate.
Old 06-17-12, 12:37 AM
crwooch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sevn86
I have both a jeep GC and a RX in my garage, we have had jeep GC's since I was 12. We don't have the current model but we plan to get it soon. Both are fun to drive, the quality on both cars is great, ones a luxury car and the other is an offroader and cargo hauler for my dads business. The new GC combines both luxury and ruggedness for everyday driving. In regards to reliability of the jeep, we have had no problems with any of the ones we've owned. All have been trouble free, and all have been bought used. So to me that says alot. I personally considered a Jeep GC but parents wanted all luxury, plus we already have a GC. On a daily basis I see just as many Jeeps as I see RX's so ultimately it's ur choice. I vote Jeep GC. It's more masculine looking too, unless u get the RX F-sport.
Maybe you've been extremely lucky? But yes to you that says a lot. For me since I've never owned one all I can go by with are the reviews and consumer reports. Comparing the two the Lexus's reliability is higher, but then again there aren't enough solid ratings for the new GCs yet. One of my friend has a Wrangler and before that the old GC, he claims that he's never had any big problems with them. I guess it's about sticking to what I already know or taking a challenge for something different. But that something different isn't easy to take since once I buy I'd like to keep for 5years +.

Since you have experience with them is your current GC with a full size spare tire or not?
It may not be an issue to some but to me who drives around everyday from point A to Z back and forth is an issue. If I have a flat tire and put on the donut spare I'd have to go immediately to get it repaired replaced since I don't want a good looking GC to look pitiful with the donut.
I asked the dealer if I could replace the donut with a full size on my own and he said that I couldn't because of no space to accommodate it.

Nowadays I could care less about what's more masculine looking, my current 07 RX with the light blue is more popular with the women and I see more women driving it here. The new RX seems to be more masculine than the 2nd gen. RX looks masculine and slick, GC looks masculine and rugged. F Sport was the one I initially wanted but no heated/cooled seats and that is definitely needed where I am.

But before I make any decision, I still have some time and I will go to each dealer again to take a final look and consider what everyone has said here.