RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Disappointed with Lexus GPS system

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 12:18 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

long thread with nothing anyone didn't know previously.

Nav was in your car when you bought it. Seems silly to complain about it now like it's a new product that has to be explained.

In their infancy, navigation systems were an expensive option reserved for luxury cars. Nowadays, navigation systems are ubiquitous. Not only can you get one on an economy car, but also there are alternatives ranging from portable navigation systems to applications for your smartphone.

Which one should you buy? What are the advantages of each setup? Which is less expensive? Here are a few things to consider so you can choose the system that's right for you.

Factory Navigation Systems

Pro: Integration — The factory-installed navigation system will appeal to car buyers who like a clean, high-tech, integrated look. These systems typically have larger screens and are designed to work specifically with the vehicle. This means that you can use such factory features as voice activation and steering wheel controls.

Pro: Warranty Coverage — Since the factory navigation system is part of the vehicle, it is covered by the bumper-to-bumper warranty. If anything goes wrong with the system, you can take it to any dealer for repair.

Pro: Theft-Resistant — Unlike a portable navigation system, which can draw the attention of thieves, you don't have to worry as much about someone walking away with a factory system. Thieves will have a much harder time stealing a factory navigation system than a portable unit that's stuck to the windshield with a suction cup.

Pro: Resale Value — Factory navigation systems also improve a car's resale value. Our used-car analysts say that visible options on used cars, like navigation systems, tend to hold their value in the used-car market and make a car more desirable to potential buyers.

Con: Price — The most obvious drawback for a factory navigation system is price. Factory systems can cost more than $1,000 — and much more than that when they are bundled with other accessories. In some cases, you cannot get a navigation system unless you buy the vehicle's highest trim level.

Con: Updates — Map updates can be pricey, too. If you want to update the maps on a factory system, you typically need to purchase a DVD, which can cost more than $200.

Con: Use Limitations — Some factory navigation systems do not let you input directions while the car is moving. This is meant to be a safety feature, but could be frustrating if you want your passenger to press the buttons. Most portable systems do not have these restrictions.

Portable Navigation Systems

Pro: Price — A portable navigation system is significantly less expensive than the factory system. Prices can range from $50 for a basic unit to more than $200 for a fully featured model with Bluetooth and live traffic.

Pro: Easier, Cheaper Updating — The maps on portable navigation systems are also easier and less expensive to update. Some current models come with lifetime updates.

Con: Mounting — Portable navigation systems are usually mounted on the windshield or the dashboard. That's not as tidy as a factory-installed system, and some people may not like the way this looks. More importantly, these easy-to-remove devices can attract thieves, so you'll have to make sure to hide yours or take it with you when you park the car. On the other hand, this portability can be useful for people who drive multiple vehicles.

Con: Limited Warranty — If your portable navigation unit malfunctions, you'll only be covered for about a year or however long the limited factory warranty lasts. On the other hand, you could buy another and still have spent less than you would have on a factory navigation system.

Aftermarket Navigation Systems

Pro: More Features — In-dash aftermarket navigation systems are geared toward techies and audiophiles who want additional features while maintaining the sleek appearance of the factory unit. These aftermarket navigation systems have entertainment features not found on most factory systems, such as DVD video playback, Pandora streaming and playlist creation for your iPod.

Pro: Better Screen — Since many aftermarket navigation systems have DVD playback, they typically have higher-resolution screens with animated menus and flashy colors.

Pro: Customizable — Aftermarket navigation systems are designed to be the centerpiece of an upgraded audio system that allows for user customization. Some models allow the user to customize the menu icons, colors and backgrounds. You can also add extra equipment such as a rear back-up camera.

Con: Price — A system can sometimes cost as much as the factory unit. The prices can range from $300-$1,300, plus another $250 for the cost of installation.

Con: Theft-Prone — Next to a portable navigation system, an aftermarket navigation system is the second most likely to get stolen. Thieves know how much these units cost, and how easily they can be removed.

Con: Not Fully Integrated — Although the system sits in the dash and is thereby more integrated than a portable unit, it will never look as if it were part of the car's design. This may or may not be a good thing, depending on your point of view. And while you've gained a bunch of new features, you will lose steering wheel functions such as volume and track controls. Some companies sell a special adapter that can restore that functionality. The part costs about $40, plus installation.

Smartphone Navigation Systems

Pro (and Con): Price — Factory-navigation skeptics argue that their smartphones are an alternative to an expensive factory system, saying that the phone already has a map application, and that's all you really need. And for those who want more, the average price of a smartphone nav application is low, from $10-$30. This may sound like the most cost-effective solution, but if you want to have an ideal setup, the price can jump as high as $130. Here are a few things you should consider before putting your smartphone on GPS duty.

Con: Distraction — Unless you purchase a car mount for the phone, it will most likely sit in a cupholder and you'll have to take your eyes off the road to check the directions. This can be just as much of a distraction as texting while driving. The mount itself can cost from $20 for a basic unit to $100 for a do-it-all mount that will charge the phone and boost the audio and GPS signal.

Con: Lack of Voice Guidance — Not all phones come with voice-guided direction capabilities. Voice guidance is a good safety feature, because it minimizes the amount of time you spend looking at the phone's screen. There are apps that can add this functionality, but they cost from $30-$50.

Con: Signal Issues — Some applications rely on a cell data signal for their map information. If you lose cellular coverage, you may find yourself unable to use the maps and directions. The more fully featured navigation applications have built-in map data, which would alleviate this issue.

Con: Battery Drain — Running a navigation application on a smartphone can sometimes take a toll on the battery. This makes carrying a phone charger more important and can be an added cost if you don't already have one.

Which Is the Best?
It may seem as though we're dodging the question, but the answer is really that it depends on your preferences. Some Edmunds editors love factory navigation systems, while others carry their portable systems with them from car to car. Take the factory navigation system for a test-drive before you buy a car and then weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.
Old 01-22-14, 12:57 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

With 450h, there is no option, but to buy the Nav.

Another con, if the factory Nav goes in the RX, it also takes down climate control with it as well.
Mine has been acting up intermittently and in cold weather, but the dealer cannot duplicate, so it cannot be fixed, never mind that I have a video of it happening. If it finally buys the farm after the warranty runs out, it may be a big ticket item to fix. I would love to replace it with aftermarket, but the climate control is a limiting factor in this case.
Old 01-22-14, 01:06 PM
mlerskine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been a long time Gamin user, and appreciate the differences. It should be noted that one positive for the Lexus and other internal car gps- they work with inertia (don't know if that's the tech term... but it means that if you're in a building's garage, it keeps track of your vehicle by wheel movement. Not that you need guidance inside a mall garage, but when you exit, it almost immediately syncs to satellite. My garmin units often take a couple minutes to re-establish lock. If you park in office buildings or malls... this is big.

My gripe? Clearly there are options to a user to update maps (it comes up as an option under setup. But nooooo... Lexus insists map updates must be done by dealer, at considerable labor cost. C'mon Lexus... give the option for tech savvy owners to do the work themselves! You can still offer the service for those who'd rather have dealer update. I'd pay the update price (albeit high) but with labor, that update is north of $300. A bit ridiculous!
Old 01-22-14, 01:09 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mlerskine
I've been a long time Gamin user, and appreciate the differences. It should be noted that one positive for the Lexus and other internal car gps- they work with inertia (don't know if that's the tech term... but it means that if you're in a building's garage, it keeps track of your vehicle by wheel movement. Not that you need guidance inside a mall garage, but when you exit, it almost immediately syncs to satellite. My garmin units often take a couple minutes to re-establish lock. If you park in office buildings or malls... this is big.

My gripe? Clearly there are options to a user to update maps (it comes up as an option under setup. But nooooo... Lexus insists map updates must be done by dealer, at considerable labor cost. C'mon Lexus... give the option for tech savvy owners to do the work themselves! You can still offer the service for those who'd rather have dealer update. I'd pay the update price (albeit high) but with labor, that update is north of $300. A bit ridiculous!
There might be a reason for labor. My RX had already spent 2 days at the dealer, while I was driving a loaner when they attempted to update the maps. I had to call it quits for now and picked it up. Going to try again next week.

Last edited by vlad_a; 01-22-14 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 01:20 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mlerskine
Can you imagine what us tech savy users would do to the system if it were 'open to end users'? Lexus already started losing tons of cash once savvy people learned how to copy the DVD's.
Old 01-22-14, 01:26 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

So they made it impossibly difficult to update the system, even for their own techs.
Old 01-22-14, 02:55 PM
capcap
Rookie

Am well aware of the cool factor for the built in NAV, but for actual USE the Garmin wins and there is no way i'd pay to update the NAV. Lexus needs to get this under control as it is hurting their image.Even if I had the NAV, and I requested requested a CPO without it, i'd still be using Gamin's unit because it can be trusted.
Old 01-23-14, 05:04 PM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
There might be a reason for labor. My RX had already spent 2 days at the dealer, while I was driving a loaner when they attempted to update the maps. I had to call it quits for now and picked it up. Going to try again next week.
If your RX was in the shop for two days for the Navigation Update. You need to find another dealer.
Old 01-24-14, 07:25 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISFWes
If your RX was in the shop for two days for the Navigation Update. You need to find another dealer.
Unfortunately, you might be right. Although they are easier to get to, their management leaves to wish for the best. I bought my RX out of state because they wouldn't close the price gap we had. They also have older MY vehicles sit on the lot forever and are not eager to negotiate.

However, I will have to deal with them for the Nav upgrade for now because I had them authorized to perform this service by the corporate.
Old 01-28-14, 05:46 AM
coachlkg
Rookie

Originally Posted by cflutist
Anybody having problems with the GPS accuracy?

My home is in the San Francisco Bay Area on an one-acre hilltop lot.
When I was playing with the Navigation tonight, it thinks that
I'm at the house next door which is 300 feet away.

Cheryl
Mine won't accept my home address. It autocorrects to an even number address. There are no even number addresses on my street.
Old 01-28-14, 06:16 AM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Home Address

Originally Posted by coachlkg
Mine won't accept my home address. It autocorrects to an even number address. There are no even number addresses on my street.
You should never put your home address in your car navigation. If your car is stolen they could drive right to your house. And if you have the Home Link set up. Right into your garage.
Old 01-28-14, 03:27 PM
Nimimi
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Home Address

Why not put the address in the Nav? Both registration and insurance cards are required to be in the vehicle and they both have home address on them.
Old 01-28-14, 04:42 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFWes

You should never put your home address in your car navigation. If your car is stolen they could drive right to your house. And if you have the Home Link set up. Right into your garage.
Great advice, I always substitute a local business. How about the local police department?
Old 01-29-14, 06:51 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nimimi
Why not put the address in the Nav? Both registration and insurance cards are required to be in the vehicle and they both have home address on them.
LOL. That is so true.
Putting a picture of a large vicious dog in the glove box might be a better deterrent.
Old 01-29-14, 07:14 AM
cflutist
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Great advice, I always substitute a local business. How about the local police department?
I volunteer at our local Police Dept (in their Crime Analysis unit) and that was the address I used when the salesman sat with me to program my "home" address in NAV. And yes, in my city, there are a number of vehicle thefts followed by residential burglaries. This includes thefts in nearby cities (San Francisco Bay Area) where the car is driven home to commit a residential burglary.

So what we did (and I don't know if it is legal elsewhere) is to photocopy our CA DMV registration, carry it in our wallets, but to cut out the address on the original kept in the car. Besides, it is all computerized anyway and any law enforcement officer in CA can use CLETS to look it up by VIN or License number.

As far as my prior post, I was just noting that the GPS needed to be calibrated because it thought that I was at my neighbor's house 300 ft away.

I was impressed that the NAV used a two-lane road (that all our neighbors also use) to get me home when the salesman delivered the car. Mapquest, Google Maps, and older navagation systems send people up a single lane road to my house (I keep telling my friends to follow my instructions but they don't believe me).

We still carry paper maps in the car. We were recently caught where there was a fire in a tunnel and CHP closed the freeway. GPS on my phone kept trying to send me back to the closed freeway. Saved by the paper maps going through a town we hadn't heard of before.

Cheryl

2014 RX450h AWD

Quick Reply: Disappointed with Lexus GPS system