RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Stealing RX350

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-12, 08:39 AM
SimonJinx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stealing RX350

Heard on the news yesterday and read an article today - http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...cal&id=8664126

Authorities say a car theft ring ''stalked'' New York City residents who drove Lexus SUVs and other mint-condition luxury vehicles so it could steal the cars and fill orders from clients.

Then they are explaining how they were able to steal - "A locksmith and an employee at an Orlando, Fla., dealership provided special codes that allowed the thieves to steal the vehicles. "

Does anybody know what codes they are talking about? And how RX350 can be opened and engine started just by using some code?
Old 05-17-12, 09:02 AM
nine49
Driver School Candidate

I don't think RX can be opened and started by just using some code. I believe the code is for the car key, which can be duplicated by a competent locksmith with proper equipment using the code.
Old 05-17-12, 09:16 AM
SimonJinx
Driver School Candidate

The key is enough to open a car, but it wont start the engine until car's computer recognizes the chip in the fob. Is there some master fob that can start any car?
Old 05-17-12, 09:24 AM
Quatro40
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes to all, if they are able to have the code, which is basically a set of numbers in a special radio frequency they can dupicate them in a transmitter, no need for key fob, is a rolling code transmitter, so time to get the CLUB (steering wheel lock bar) again. :-)
Old 05-17-12, 09:55 AM
XRUNNER1
Driver School Candidate

Great! Orlando's where I traded
Old 05-17-12, 02:51 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Sure glad I recently had the LoJack with Early Warning recently inspected. While my RX never makes it across the Hudson I'd rather be safe than sorry. Too close for comfort.
Old 05-17-12, 03:02 PM
Paul B
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My dealer installs Lo Jack on all his cars in the lot from the delivery truck. So he's protected in case cars are stolen from his lot. Then he turns around and sells it with the Lo Jack installed to the new car owner. Not only does he get an after market sale item profit but he gets free protection while the car is in his lot.

Pretty smart thinking on his part. Not sure what he would do if the new owner refused to pay for it.
Old 05-17-12, 03:30 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

While discussing security, is laser etched glass pretty common or just something the local dealer does routinely?
Old 05-17-12, 04:54 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul B
My dealer installs Lo Jack on all his cars in the lot from the delivery truck. So he's protected in case cars are stolen from his lot. Then he turns around and sells it with the Lo Jack installed to the new car owner. Not only does he get an after market sale item profit but he gets free protection while the car is in his lot.

Pretty smart thinking on his part. Not sure what he would do if the new owner refused to pay for it.

Doesn't Lexus enform track your car?
Old 05-17-12, 05:01 PM
nine49
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Paul B

My dealer did the samething, having installed Lo Jack on my Infiniti I purchsed last year, to protect themselves while cars sat on the lot and tried to sell it me. I politely refused to pay for it and asked to be taken off. They left the Lo Jack installed in the car, but did not activate it.
Old 05-17-12, 05:12 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
While discussing security, is laser etched glass pretty common or just something the local dealer does routinely?
Only dealers that are trying to make a quick buck around here. They charge twice as much as AAA.
Old 05-17-12, 07:13 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I look at the glass half full, if they steal it I get a 2013 RX.
Old 05-17-12, 08:31 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since they caught those involved in the ring hopefully our RXs are safe. Guess I was fortunate that mine was still there the past few trips. You really can't stop driving a car in fear. I assume Lexus SOS/Enform can track the cars.
Old 05-18-12, 07:00 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We dont have Enform here in Canada, but using my SmartStart I am able to get a gps reading on the car as well as the speed it is going. When my friends Envoy was stolen the first thing they do is mangle the Onstar so it wont work and the vehicle could not be traced. As you can not get to the system in my car without a lot of work, provided you even know its there, I should be okay.

That being said as MEP7557 said, I would get a brand new one if someone did steal it. You cant live like a victim and it is only still just a car.
Old 05-18-12, 09:57 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Glad it's not happening close to Texas, but it is scary. I don't leave mine out in the driveway because I'm scared someone's going to jack my chrome rims. I live in a pretty good area but that's where thieves like to strike.

Quick Reply: Stealing RX350